Are You Proud To Be From NY?

Five Seasons

Sometimes I wonder too, that to really answer this question. Whether it's to appreciate where you're from, or to understand that the grass is greener... that you'd have to have spent some time elsewhere.

I hate to say it, but I would bet the ability to own ANY type of firearm under the sun is probably pretty low on many peoples scale of what makes where they live a great place...the fact that I can draw a 200 mile radius circle around my home and pretty much partake in most of what this state has to offer is appealing to me.......taxes, cost of living and politics suck, but that aside it's not a terrible place to live.

A state like no other, thank God for that, for if it were so true; then all would be soon forgotten, and New York's citizens wouldn't be so blue.                

landtracdeerhunter

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I have always been a proud NY'er and am not afraid to say it no matter where I am. I have spent a lot of time in other states and have found NY has a lot more to offer than most other places. The south is a dump with unbearable heat and humidity, an unintelligent  population and many of the states rank first place with things like teen pregnancy, minimum wage jobs, people without health insurance, diabetes, heart disease and obesity all while preaching religion and being uplifted?

I like NYs change of seasons and its open minded people have a good sense of haa haa and we have the best restaurants.

Our taxes and gun laws are another story but neither has made me put a for sale sign on my property yet.

Yup…I would let people know the difference between New York City and upstate New York . I have had several out of state people, who have met me for the first time, ask me about the subway.  LOL!! I have to explain that the subway, and Little King Andy, are only for New York City. Sad but true.

Edited by ants

I think another thing that makes this question a little hard to answer is my relative inexperience with living in other states. For example while I know NYS is incredibly liberal, I have never seen a study that quantified and ranked where we stand on that issue relative to other states. Cost of living, educational ranking, quality of life, etc., etc., one by one, if we go down the endless list of criteria, it would require quite a impossibly huge study to compare each line item for each state. So all we can do is base it all on some kind of general, totally uninformed, feeling. A real honest assessment, would take a whole lot more research than I am willing to invest .... lol.

I spent a lot of time trialing beagles in my past against folks from all over the south. With few exceptions they all thought NY was NYC. After my hounds put on a good show and we took home some of the trophies and ribbons they began calling me the New York Hillbilly. The rest as they say is history. I always make it clear I am from "upstate" NY.

I spent a lot of time trialing beagles in my past against folks from all over the south. With few exceptions they all thought NY was NYC. After my hounds put on a good show and we took home some of the trophies and ribbons they began calling me the New York Hillbilly. The rest as they say is history. I always make it clear I am from "upstate" NY.

It is amazing how many people think NYS is completely paved.

Yes I a proud to be from New York State and New York City. NYS more than any other state has given so many the opportunity to succeed and prosper. NY has always been on the forefront of innovation and Conservation. While far from perfect it is my home and I'm dam proud of my state and it's people, all it's people.

Proud to be an upstate or western NYer. Not as much as a NYer as a whole because of the politics/taxes. While I really enjoy this area, I would leave in a heartbeat for greener pastures if I were convinced it were true AND my family wasn't tied to the area. As such, my best chance for relocation will likely be an island in the Carribbean upon retirement - I've at least got the wife talked into that and I just need to keep it up.

No deer or turkey in the Caribbean lol...

No deer or turkey in the Caribbean lol...

I believe there are still Red Brocket Deer on some of the more continental islands like Trinidad. I am sure if there are any left you can't hunt them though.

Not that most would want to here...their antlers only grow to spikes. I had some Roe Deer and Red Stag venison in Austria and Germany this past March. Both are hunted there usually from nice homemade elevated box blinds.

I would move to the southern Austrian or the northeastern Italian Alps (Lake Garda would be a dream) today if a good opportunity came along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

I believe there are still Red Brocket Deer on some of the more continental islands like Trinidad. I am sure if there are any left you can't hunt them though.

Not that most would want to here...their antlers only grow to spikes. I had some Roe Deer and Red Stag venison in Austria and Germany this past March. Both are hunted there usually from nice homemade elevated box blinds.

I would move to the southern Austrian or the northeastern Italian Alps (Lake Garda would be a dream) today if a good opportunity came along.

Never mind I must have forgotten where I live...I was just out on the boat and got a quick reminder about the paradise that is Otisco:

post-1622-14016315865818_thumb.jpg

post-1622-14016316552456_thumb.jpg

Bass, Browns, Walleyes and Tigers in her (and almost no boats on her) and Whitetails and Turkeys are abundant all over those hills!

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Did you ever think that if it were not for the gun laws and taxes we would be over run with people in every part of this state. I have a well to do aunt in Malvern LI and when i ask the old bird why she puts up with a 16k a year tax bill she tells me "it keeps the riff raff out".. Who knows.

• Like 1

I am proud to be from the part of NY no one thinks exists, or cares about or thinks we matter.  It is really a different NY mindset here from many perspectives.  My hope is to make the state a place to be proud of for everyone again.

• Like 1

Yes I a proud to be from New York State and New York City. NYS more than any other state has given so many the opportunity to succeed and prosper. NY has always been on the forefront of innovation and Conservation. While far from perfect it is my home and I'm dam proud of my state and it's people, all it's people.

That's a pretty bold claim without very much to back it up...

Dump the welfare addicts, raise the political standards a tad so douchetards like clinton, cuomo, & bloomberg don't get their start here, then lets talk. Otherwise its just a place, I'm here trying to make a living and the best of it.

I love my state and nation, but recently I'm been feeling the total opposite of our first lady

"for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback." - First Lady Michelle Obama

I kind of feel like......for the first time in my adult life I am sad for and ashamed of my state/country because it feels like the hope and change thing really messed a whole lot up.

Edited by mmkay

Did you ever think that if it were not for the gun laws and taxes we would be over run with people in every part of this state. I have a well to do aunt in Malvern LI and when i ask the old bird why she puts up with a 16k a year tax bill she tells me "it keeps the riff raff out".. Who knows.

sits in trees –

I wish that were true. But high taxes will not keep out the riff raff.

The federal government will sue your town / county. It will force you to build housing for those that can't afford to live in your town. You'll end up paying even higher taxes. The fed for 3 decades fought and bankrupted Yonkers on this. They are trying to destroy parts of Westchester. Just google. Yonkers federal housing lawsuit or Westchester federal housing lawsuit. The fed pretends that these towns/ counties are discriminating.

Anyone regardless of color can live in Westchester as long as you have the money to do so. Putnam / Duchess Counties are loaded with former WHITE Westchester residents that couldn’t afford to live in their original home towns.

So in the end, taxes increase in part due to the federal governments meddling, residents are forced to leave, but only after having to foot the bill to build the riff raff new tax payer supplied homes.

Edited by mmkay

Interesting question. I never thought about being "proud" (or not) of being from NY. I have been very proud of several local town based organization's I am a part of because of the good things we have done.

I have lived my entire life on Long Island - Queens to Nassau to Suffolk. My work requires me to travel around the country and I get to meet with many people from many different areas and upbringings. Some people look at New Yorkers as bad, some look in wonder because we live in the "center of the universe." It's all stereotyping.

I have property in Delaware County, NY where they call folks like me "flatlanders." Same type of stereotyping (which can be based somewhat in fact).

I am very happy for where I was born and raised. Having access to the big apple has given my opportunities that many people outside this area do not have. Working in Manhattan for over 20 years has given me experiences and taught me things that you will never learn in school. But there are unique experiences to be had anywhere.

When people think you are an "expert" because you are from the NYC area, it can be an advantage. When people think you are a loony liberal, or a con artist because you are from here, it is a disadvantage. There are geniuses and halfwits everywhere. There are right-wingers, left-wingers and everything in-between everywhere.

God made the land, so I can't take credit for that. I didn't vote for Cuomo, so I won't take blame for that. As others have mentioned, it is luck of the draw where you are born. There are a lot worse places to live than NY.

It's what you do that counts, not where you are from.

• Like 2