Getting To Be A Common Sight

Cabin Fever

Apparently there are some changes that occur when the fawning season arrives that causes quite a bit of deer activity. If I had to guess, I would say that last years fawns are ditched so that the doe can find a good place to give birth. That may be leaving all these deer out on their own for the first time in their lives. That could be what gets them into trouble with cars.

At any rate, every year, I notice the same thing you do. I really wonder sometimes if autos don't thin the population more than hunters do. There are times when it seems that the dummies aren't able to safely cross roads any better than possums.

We live in and area that see multiple hits per year. I've witness some of these collisions. It hard enough when a nice buck gets slaughtered, but even worse to see a doe along the road this time of year, knowing her young will most likely die. I watch deer daily, crossing the road. Most are lucky, some are not.

I'm a auto body mechanic at my fathers shop he's owned for 17 years or better and it happens all year long at alarming rates , bewtween October and March we literally had at least one person call or show up a day that had hit a deer, the insurance company's took a hurting this year for sure , 2 Turkeys this week , few raccoons, a Fox, you'd be surprised the damage these critters do to a vehicle,

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have watched it happen. I think a big contributing factor is the new fawns not wanting to cross the roads. I have seen a doe stand on the yellow line and the fawn taking one step with its foot like it was testing the water temp of a pool. It would start, then back up, then attempt again. Mom just stood there watching. it took a good 5 minutes before the fawn got up the never to cross.