What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

13 hours ago, Bionic said:

Have wings going.  Trying some different, convection baking for awhile, then deep frying to crisp.  Looking for tender chicken, with crunchy exterior. 

Oh! And I added Bionic’s Chicken rub...that stuff he sells.

D09CC06B-B1F1-4A39-A336-49EF531999C4.jpeg

You think this would work as well in a regular oven?  Maybe 300 for 1hr then fry as usual?   Those came out looking great. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

You think this would work as well in a regular oven?  Maybe 300 for 1hr then fry as usual?   Those came out looking great. 

Yes, absolutely.  I tried convection because it seems to almost lock in the juices, when I bake burgers sometimes.  I figured it would work on wings too, this was my first try.  I ran 425 for a good 60-90 mins.  I would try 400 if I were you for a good 60-90 mins as well,  they should still look pale in color, I flipped them once as well.  Then fry at 375 until desired crisp.  Let me know how it goes when you try this.

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely.  I tried convection because it seems to almost lock in the juices, when I bake burgers sometimes.  I figured it would work on wings too, this was my first try.  I ran 425 for a good 60-90 mins.  I would try 400 if I were you for a good 60-90 mins as well,  they should still look pale in color, I flipped them once as well.  Then fry at 375 until desired crisp.  Let me know how it goes when you try this.

You are correct the process you are doing is called blanching. I’m telling you as good as those are try doing it it a low temp frier and then piloting the wings and raising the heat. It is actually the same process to make French fries at home. Cut fries soak in cold salted water over night, remove from water and dry very very well. Fry in oil that is 275 until they are soft. Remove from oil let sit. Change oil temp to 350 and fry till crispy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

You are correct the process you are doing is called blanching. I’m telling you as good as those are try doing it it a low temp frier and then piloting the wings and raising the heat. It is actually the same process to make French fries at home. Cut fries soak in cold salted water over night, remove from water and dry very very well. Fry in oil that is 275 until they are soft. Remove from oil let sit. Change oil temp to 350 and fry till crispy.

The double fry!  Works great. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chef said:

Awesome thanks. I will definitely try this to a “T” what you are suggesting next time, appreciate it! I will try it with fries too, i have always heard about double frying, but never bothered to look into the correct way.  With fries, my idea of double frying was fry until crisp, raise basket out if oil, let fries cool a bit, and reinsert until desired crisp(they seem to float at that point). 

So, can you explain once more the way you suggest I try wings, please?

Do you still suggest I pre-bake the wings? If so temp, and rough time? Then do I fry once? Or twice? I wasn’t sure if you are suggesting bake/fry once as a method, or if I can fry twice withOUT pre-bake using low oil temp, then high oil temp.   No rush to reply, Thanks Chef, appreciate the tips! This is fun stuff for me

• Like 1

Awesome thanks. I will definitely try this to a “T” what you are suggesting next time, appreciate it! I will try it with fries too, i have always heard about double frying, but never bothered to look into the correct way.  With fries, my idea of double frying was fry until crisp, raise basket out if oil, let fries cool a bit, and reinsert until desired crisp(they seem to float at that point). 

Do you still suggest I pre-bake the wings? If so temp, and rough time? Then do I fry once? Or twice? I wasn’t sure if you are suggesting bake/fry once as a method, or if I can fry twice withOUT pre-bake using low oil temp, then high oil temp.   No rush to reply, Thanks Chef, appreciate the tips! This is fun stuff for me

Sure man..... take raw wings and season. Place in deep drier with oil set between 250-275 cook till
The wings are fully cooked. Remove from
The oil and allow the wings to cool. Set the oil temp to 350 fry wings again till desired crispy is reached.

Fries do the same thing. It can help to soak the fries in salted water for 10 or so hours first. Just make sure they are completely dry before frying

• Thanks 1

I did the double fry with home cut fried last night. Came great!
I think Chef is suggesting that same process with wings.
Fry at a low temp (275) until mostly cooked. Take out and cool for later.
When ready to eat, jack up the temp on your DEEP FRYER (ignore TF!) and cook until desired color and crispness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure man..... take raw wings and season. Place in deep drier with oil set between 250-275 cook till
The wings are fully cooked. Remove from
The oil and allow the wings to cool. Set the oil temp to 350 fry wings again till desired crispy is reached.

Fries do the same thing. It can help to soak the fries in salted water for 10 or so hours first. Just make sure they are completely dry before frying

Haha...beat me to it!

• Like 2