What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

“Free” meal tonight (except for the beverage):  Upper Niagara River smallmouth bass and the first summer squash of the year from the garden.  Delicious 
2B56EA0C-BAD0-4C95-B900-3BB1A7E5238F.thumb.jpeg.f514c85740b910d30305e0569339dcbb.jpeg

Just a question but aren’t these rivers you are eating from pretty polluted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the Hudson ?  LOL

Those Hudson fish are perfectly safe...for men only, one fish per month, if you are beyond the child producing years and already have 11 toes! Haha

Realistically the schoolies stripers we catch in the Hudson are not in there very long. Now the catfish and eels on the other hand, that $hit be toxic just looking at them!

• Like 1

Those Hudson fish are perfectly safe...for men only, one fish per month, if you are beyond the child producing years and already have 11 toes! Haha

Realistically the schoolies stripers we catch in the Hudson are not in there very long. Now the catfish and eels on the other hand, that $hit be toxic just looking at them!

I thought your sturgeon tasted fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Just a question but aren’t these rivers you are eating from pretty polluted?

These bass were all from the upper Niagara which is relatively pollution free.   All the heavy chemical work was done downstream, in Niagara Falls.  One meal a month of those and bass

from Lake Erie are ok, for even women of child bearing age and children.   Not so for bass from the Lower Niagara, Lake Ontario, the St Lawrence River, and Adirondack waters.  Those are only ok for one meal a month for men over 50.

I typically keep (24) quart-sized vacuum-sealed bags of bass each year, marked by location and date.  That gives us all the full recommended allotment of fish each year (I eat as much as my wife and our (2) 18 year old daughters combined).  

Most of what I eat comes from the St Lawrence and the Adirondacks.  I have not kept any bass from up there yet this year.  I will hit the St Lawrence at the end of this month and the Dack’s Labor Day weekend and during early ML weeknight October.

There is no more “toxic” Adirondack or St. Lawrence bass left in our freezer now, so I hit the wife and kids supply, which were caught, along with this 20-1/4 incher (released because larger than optimum eating size, last September).

7E8AA52D-2418-4CE3-BC0B-305C078F6C0D.thumb.jpeg.2e5a9736ddde0c2c6257835c73bfc134.jpeg

The best thing to happen with bass in the last 20 years, has been the tremendous forage base  provided by the invasive round gobies, and the resulting increase in growth rate.  Prior to their arrival, I realeased most bass over 15”.  A 20 incher, caught today, is as good eating (and about the same age) as a 15 incher prior to the gobies arrival.  

Polution gets worse in older fish, so the gobies have helped a lot in limiting the effect of that, from fish consumption.  

Edited by wolc123

These bass were all from the upper Niagara which is relatively pollution free.   All the heavy chemical work was done downstream, in Niagara Falls.  One meal a month of those and bass
from Lake Erie are ok, for even women of child bearing age and children.   Not so for bass from the Lower Niagara, Lake Ontario, the St Lawrence River, and Adirondack waters.  Those are only ok for one meal a month for men over 50.
I typically keep (24) quart-sized vacuum-sealed bags of bass each year, marked by location and date.  That gives us all the full recommended allotment of fish each year (I eat as much as my wife and our (2) 18 year old daughters combined).  

Most of what I eat comes from the St Lawrence and the Adirondacks.  I have not kept any bass from up there yet this year.  I will hit the St Lawrence at the end of this month and the Dack’s Labor Day weekend and during early ML weeknight October.
There is no more “toxic” Adirondack or St. Lawrence bass left in our freezer now, so I hit the wife and kids supply, which were caught, along with this 20-1/4 incher (released because larger than optimum eating size, last September).
7E8AA52D-2418-4CE3-BC0B-305C078F6C0D.thumb.jpeg.2e5a9736ddde0c2c6257835c73bfc134.jpeg
The best thing to happen with bass in the last 20 years, has been the tremendous forage base  provided by the invasive round gobies, and the resulting increase in growth rate.  Prior to their arrival, I realeased most bass over 15”.  A 20 incher, caught today, is as good eating (and about the same age) as a 15 incher prior to the gobies arrival.  
Polution gets worse in older fish, so the gobies have helped a lot in limiting the effect of that, from fish consumption.  

One thing… the pollution doesn’t get worse in older fish it gets worse in larger fish. Small fish consume the heavy metals and it goes up the food chain.. if those bass are eating gobies and more of them that’s more pollution not less

1 hour ago, Chef said:

One thing… the pollution doesn’t get worse in older fish it gets worse in larger fish. Small fish consume the heavy metals and it goes up the food chain.. if those bass are eating gobies and more of them that’s more pollution not less

A little bit of both I suppose, as the older they get the longer they are subjected to the pollution.  Either way, the smaller they are the better, from that standpoint.

Unlike the pros, when I am bass fishing, I often move from larger fish, trying to find smaller “eaters”.  The 12-1/8 inchers are the best.  That said, I don’t often have the time luxury of being too choosy, so I usually quit fishing as soon as I have my limit of 12-20” (formerly 15” bass pre goby).  

• Like 1

Any thoughts on timing for freezing sausage?  I got them linked up and in the camp fridge.  I usually portion them out and freeze the next day.  Any benefit to letting them sit longer? 
19BB5B2C-A098-4C04-8394-ECE02FCC2249.thumb.jpeg.9642ef4b90ddaa9e01260da4cdfd2c91.jpeg
I wouldn't think so. Having the sausage sit overnight after mixing spices, then casing, then overnight again, I would def freeze the next day. If the spices were mixed well I wouldn't think of any advantage. Especially if there isn't any cure in them.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sausagefest 2K22… ended up with a little over 50lbs.  Sweet Italian, hot, and herb.  Shout out to [mention=762]Chef[/mention]for recommending the casings loaded on plastic sleeves.  What a timesaver. 
42791F43-E561-4968-A0A5-6BB5BC185CA5.thumb.jpeg.64221838e52a28e841743e01b9cc13f0.jpeg

That’s awesome! Glad you used them! They really are just that much easier