Steuben County

Borngeechee

I have hunted all my life in Steuben County..

I can direct you to several good public land areas.

Hunting pressure is heavy the first few days of season, but most areas get minimal hunting pressure after opening weekend.

Get on the DEC website , because I'm not sure of the proper names of all of the state land areas, but I can come close.

Erwin state game lands near Gang Mills...

Pinnacle State Park and Mccarthy State Game lands near Addison.

Tracy Creek State game lands near Rathbone.

Cameron Hill State game Lands near Cameron.

There are many other areas in Steuben, but I am familiar with the ones I have listed and they are all good hunting.

I have hunted all my life in Steuben County..

I can direct you to several good public land areas.

Hunting pressure is heavy the first few days of season, but most areas get minimal hunting pressure after opening weekend.

Get on the DEC website , because I'm not sure of the proper names of all of the state land areas, but I can come close.

Erwin state game lands near Gang Mills...

Pinnacle State Park and Mccarthy State Game lands near Addison.

Tracy Creek State game lands near Rathbone.

Cameron Hill State game Lands near Cameron.

There are many other areas in Steuben, but I am familiar with the ones I have listed and they are all good hunting.

I've lived and hunted here in Steuben my whole life.  Private ground holds some great deer hunting opportunities, I've never deer hunted the stateland very much (Urbana SF) but it gets pounded during the first week. Hunting ground is getting super tough to come by...good luck in your efforts. 

That should say it all! 

The average age of the bucks killed here is still on par with the rest of the state.  Not much QDM being practiced in my area.  Sad because there is so much potential to grow some impressive deer...

Here's an example: I've seen or gotten trail cam pics of around 20 different bucks that are at least 2 years old on one of the 250 acre farms that I hunt.  I could only imagine what next year would look like if half of them make it through season...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

• 6 years later...
On 8/6/2014 at 11:16 AM, WNY Bowhunter said:

The average age of the bucks killed here is still on par with the rest of the state.  Not much QDM being practiced in my area.  Sad because there is so much potential to grow some impressive deer...

What’s unique about Steuben that endows it with a particular potential to grow impressive deer?

Nothing really. As stated earlier, we are the number one county in the state in terms of numbers of bucks entered into the state records books and overall deer/buck take annually (also a very large county). We just have enough cover and crops that allows some of our bucks to make it to maturity and record book size.  Honestly, other counties here in Region 8 (especially north of Steuben) has much more fertile ground, the deer have much better food quality and potential to produce bigger bucks on average than my area of the county does.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2021 at 7:44 AM, WNY Bowhunter said:

Nothing really. As stated earlier, we are the number one county in the state in terms of numbers of bucks entered into the state records books and overall deer/buck take annually (also a very large county). We just have enough cover and crops that allows some of our bucks to make it to maturity and record book size.  Honestly, other counties here in Region 8 (especially north of Steuben) has much more fertile ground, the deer have much better food quality and potential to produce bigger bucks on average than my area of the county does.

Look at him gaslighting them counties just above him! Steuben is where all the big bucks are.