DMP'S

deerhunter1699

All tags licenses are printed out elrectronically through a NYSDEC decals computer. The system often has problems/bugs when it gets overloaded. If your town hall issues tags, then they have a special computer just for that. You can probably call ahead and ask if their system is running properly

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

On the DMP topic, maybe someone can clarify something for me.

The DEC site says you apply for a DMP, but are not guaranteed to get one. Understood. It also states there is a $10, non-refundable application fee.

The way this reads, you pay your $10 and then find out if you get a DMP. Either way, you are out the $10. Is this correct? Or do you only pay if you actually receive the DMP?

I believe the latter is correct, but the way it reads, the former would be the case.

Isn't it strange that the DEC claims that they have difficulty getting hunters to harvest does, and then answers that problem with charging for DMP applications. It kind of creates a credibility problem I would think.

• Like 1

Isn't it strange that the DEC claims that they have difficulty getting hunters to harvest does, and then answers that problem with charging for DMP applications. It kind of creates a credibility problem I would think.

Until you realize you are dealing with a government entity. By nature, these bureaucracies rarely do anything that makes sense. Or as the saying goes "they couldn't find their a$$ with both hands."

Edited by jrm
  • Like 1

On the DMP topic, maybe someone can clarify something for me.

The DEC site says you apply for a DMP, but are not guaranteed to get one. Understood. It also states there is a $10, non-refundable application fee.

The way this reads, you pay your $10 and then find out if you get a DMP. Either way, you are out the $10. Is this correct? Or do you only pay if you actually receive the DMP?

I believe the latter is correct, but the way it reads, the former would be the case.

if you have a life time license they wave the $10 fee for the DMP but you don't have any better odds of getting them.

if you have a life time license they wave the $10 fee for the DMP but you don't have any better odds of getting them.

Only if you got your lifetime prior to 2004, I think.  Otherwise you still have to pay the $10.  I got mine last year and had to pay.

Doc, I say the same thing all the time. Hell , my area had a stretch where you had to own 50 acres to get a doe tag because we had a shortage. I could go out coon hunting and see around a hundred deer almost every night no matter where I released the hounds. I haven't seen a game warden while hunting any game in over 10 years, so I am not sure where the information and stats come from.

you should also check the DEC website to see what the odds are for each WMU. I never did until this year and found out that they don't give 2nd DMP's in 4c and I've always applied for them there. would have been nice to know that I was wasting money applying for them all these years. I used to always go for 4b for my 1st, which I've always gotten, and 4c for my 2nd. now I'm gonna go for 4j for my 2nd and try my luck in the Albany pine bush

Maybe some of you more experienced folks can help me out with the DMP thing. Not sure I completely understand how it works. 

I looked at the DEC website. I am only interested in 4O. The "probability page" states a 30% probability. Then it states PP required for "residents" and "none" for 2nd DMP.

In this context, does "resident" mean NYS resident?

Then, on the DMP page it talks about landowners. In one place it mentions "qualifying" landowners, which I take to mean 50 acres (as described on that page.) I have about 30 acres which is where I hunt. Further down, it just states "landowners" without mentioning "qualifying."

So I am a landowner in 4O, but don't have 50 contiguous acres. Does that count for anything?

If not, it seems I need preference points. The only way to get them is to place a losing bet on a 4O DMP, correct?

The way I understand it, I will have to keep purchasing a DMP lottery ticket for $10 each year, with at least the first year being a guaranteed loser (no pp accumulated). After I buy enough preference points with those losing tickets, I can keep buying with a 30% chance of winning the lottery.

Is that correct or am I not understanding the process correctly?

edited to add:

I found another publication which seems to clarity that all the uses of "landowner" refers to the 50 contiguous acres. It would be nice if the website was more consistent with terminology, but I guess I expect too much.

So as far as I can see, a resident in 4O basically has a "chance" of getting a DMP once every four years. Three years of paying for the application which will accumulate 3 preference points. In the fourth year, you theoretically have good odds of winning a DMP, which spends all the PP. The next year you start over from zero and spend another three years buying points.

Is this how it works?

Edited by jrm