Troubles.........

Lawdwaz

My 85 (86 in Sept.) FIL just called.  He is on the way to Medina Memorial Hospital in bad shape.  He fell off his bike a couple time about a month ago and brush burned his arm real bad and it got infected.  He finally went to a Dr. about ten days ago and he gave him some meds.  The sore was starting to heal up good as of last Sunday so I don't know if this is related??

He feels awful, his sugar level is high at 140.  He has diabetes and has never been on medication for it, just controlling it by diet and exercise.  For the last 24 years or so he has rode a bike 6 miles a day, year round.  He spends winters in Florida....

We only talked for a couple minutes while a neighbor was driving him in.  I got the neighbors cell number and asked them to keep me posted and that I can be there in 45 minutes after they figure things out.  This is the guy (FIL) that has never spent an hour in a hospital in his life for himself and until a few years ago hadn't seen a Dr. for 40+ years.

My wife has to work at noon today and it's a double shift so I'm up to bat; no sweat. 

Another curve ball over the plate.................................

Edited by Lawdwaz

Thanks folks.........

We spent an hour and a half with the FIL.  Seems to be in good hands at MMH.  We'll go back tomorrow and see how he is doing with his IV and new meds.

I was talking to a friends daughter in law on the way home and she mentioned to keep an eye out as these type of things can go bad real fast with someone so old.  She also mentioned MERSA as being something to watch for.  Hmm that ain't good stuff...............

I planned on taking the wife fishing on the river today, it was our only day off together but instead we'll be heading to Waterport (to pick up his electric bill and electric shaver) then back to MMH.  They seem to be doing a good job with him, he seems to be enjoying the attention............................. :fie:

He slept with a heart monitor last night (NOT a technician!) to keep an eye on his ticker.  I think they are concerned the infection traveled through his blood stream??

We went yesterday also (Waterport AND MMH) and visited for a couple hours.  Anybody have any packages they need delivered as I feel like I'm running a delivery route........................ :biggrin:  

Discharged this afternoon..............oh the fun of dealing with an 85 PIA.  (Those would be my wifes words and I REALLY dumbed 'em down for the mods :bye: )

He can be soooo difficult it is unreal.  I'll drop it now........he's back at his place and comfortable.  Dressing changes, ointment and a prescription should finish off the infection and we can turn the page on this deal.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

• Like 1

Discharged this afternoon..............oh the fun of dealing with an 85 PIA.  (Those would be my wifes words and I REALLY dumbed 'em down for the mods :bye: )

He can be soooo difficult it is unreal.  I'll drop it now........he's back at his place and comfortable.  Dressing changes, ointment and a prescription should finish off the infection and we can turn the page on this deal.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I found with my grandparents they get more stubborn the older they get. Scary to think what I'll be like at my grandmothers age.