trail cams... which ones?

Hey all.. just wanna get some opinions on trail cams everyone are using. I like cuddeback and Bushnell the best.. trigger speed , quality you name it. But lately they've been breaking on me like the rest of em. I've tried them all just about and they all work then don't work. What do you guys have the best luck with? As far as dependable, trigger speed and quality.. thanks.

I have Bushnell, Cuddeback, and Coverts. All have their own merits, but sooner or later they will all die. I sometimes wonder if they have a built in mechanism that causes them to burn out after a set period of time. It wouldn't do the manufacturer's any good if I never bought another trail camera because the ones I already had lasted forever.

I bought 2 of the Cuddeback E3s this year and am impressed with the housing design. The card access is on the bottom and the only way water can get inside is if the 1/4" wide gasket fails AND the camera was on it's side or upside down. Trigger speed has been impressive as well and finally the price tag is competitive.

• Like 2

I have Bushnell, Cuddeback, and Coverts. All have their own merits, but sooner or later they will all die. I sometimes wonder if they have a built in mechanism that causes them to burn out after a set period of time. It wouldn't do the manufacturer's any good if I never bought another trail camera because the ones I already had lasted forever.

I bought 2 of the Cuddeback E3s this year and am impressed with the housing design. The card access is on the bottom and the only way water can get inside is if the 1/4" wide gasket fails AND the camera was on it's side or upside down. Trigger speed has been impressive as well and finally the price tag is competitive.

Which ones seem to last the longest?? Or are they all about the same?

Which ones seem to last the longest?? Or are they all about the same?

It seems to be the individual camera rather than the make. My 1st Bushnell Trophy Cam has been running since 2010, but several others have bit the dust. I bought my 1st Coverts last year but just sent them in on warranty because they started leaking water. The Cuddebacks I've only had for about 2 months. Bushnell and Covert both have excellent reputations for their customer service and I called Cuddeback about a setup question and they were very responsive and helpful. The price tags have all gotten low enough that you can get a darned good camera for $150 or less.

I have had the worst luck with Wild game innovations and would not recommend them to anyone.  I have 2 Moultrie cams that are 7 years old and still function as they did when I bought them and one Moultrie cam that is 4 years old that still works terrific.  I just acquired a Bushnell trophy cam HD this year and so far have no complaints.  Never tried a Cuddeback but have heard good things about them as well.  I am actually looking into getting 2 more cams and may try the Browning line.  They seem to get pretty good reviews.  Hope this helps!

I have 2 Stealth cams that crapped out a Moultrie I-40 that won't take pics and a Primos Truth cam Ultra that won't change the date or time .

I would like to take the 2 Stealths and the Moultrie to the woods and do a video by shooting them .

I contacted Primos via phone and they said ther is no fix for the camera but if I sent it in they would give me a price break on another Trail Cam . Like that's gonna happen ! :fie:

I have 2 Stealth cams that crapped out a Moultrie I-40 that won't take pics and a Primos Truth cam Ultra that won't change the date or time .

I would like to take the 2 Stealths and the Moultrie to the woods and do a video by shooting them .

I contacted Primos via phone and they said ther is no fix for the camera but if I sent it in they would give me a price break on another Trail Cam . Like that's gonna happen ! :fie:

The 1st 2 cameras I ever bought were Stealth cams back in '05. They crapped out within a year and they had zero warranty. And I never considered buying another.

My arsenel:

I have 1 cuddeback attack IR, 4 cuddeback captures(2 flash and 2 IR), 3 bushnells, (1 the trophy cam, and 2 of the 99$ ones from walmart) and a primos truth 46

out of all 9 cameras, the only that work still are 1 cuddeback capture flash, my trophy cam by bushnell and one of the 99$ bushnells from walmart..

They all have there pros and cons and will all die someday but.. i was just curious what everyone was using. I always paid the extra to have the fast trigger speed(cuddeback and bushnell) I got my time out of all these cams but i was hoping for more than 2-3 years.

Bushnell i guess would probably be my first choice

might try a wildgame or moultrie, just really want to keep good trigger speed

I have 3 Moultrie mx80's   good trigger speed, battery life.  night time pics are not the best and there is some blur on moving animals. I'm sure the newer Moultries are a step up from the mx80

sure, not that I'm looking at them I want to buy another!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Optics/Cameras/Trail-Cameras-Accessories|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104243580/i/103867380/Moultrie-M-880-80MP-Infared-Trail-Camera/1803116.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrail-cameras-accessories%2Fmoultrie%2F_%2FN-1100265%2B1000004070%2FNe-1000004070%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat103867380

Edited by genesee_mohican

Customer service counts: I had 2 Covert Black 60s that had water leakage problems. I sent them back last Wednesday and had 2 new ones in my mailbox yesterday!

I tell them anyone with the name of Potter calls, just take care of them, lol.

cuddeback and bushnell have been pretty good cameras. minus the fact i cant get much more than a few years out of them. but i would imagine thats expected out of quite a few cameras these days. i have always had fast trigger speed, great pics and good shutter speed(blurred moving animals) for the most part. so that makes up for my torque, hp and quality just not longevity.

i just may have to look into the coverts then. especially if they're cheaper than the cuddebacks.. haha

just curious as to what everyones using and the luck they have.

cuddeback and bushnell have been pretty good cameras. minus the fact i cant get much more than a few years out of them. but i would imagine thats expected out of quite a few cameras these days. i have always had fast trigger speed, great pics and good shutter speed(blurred moving animals) for the most part. so that makes up for my torque, hp and quality just not longevity.

i just may have to look into the coverts then. especially if they're cheaper than the cuddebacks.. haha

just curious as to what everyones using and the luck they have.

What you are missing is FOV sensing. That's the torque to trigger speed. It makes ALL of the difference in the world.

A fast trigger means NOTHING by itself. A properly matched trigger speed and FOV sensing zone is what makes a cam operate in the fashion most people want it to.

Covert offers a good product for the money. Are they perfect? There isn't a cam out there that is. But, when there is a misstep, Covert is usually right in fixing it. I only know one person personally who has had a tough time dealing with them, but he also points out he's had a few good encounters too.

Edited by phade

I have 4 of the bushnell cameras and have had zero issues with them.

Not only that, but my batteries from LAST year still have 2/3rds juice left in them.  They are super effecient.  They only take AA which was one of my biggest factors for buying them (the cheapest batteries possible).

Highly recommend.

The more i read about these covert cams the more Id like to try. Customer service means alot when purchasing such tools.. primos and cuddeback arent near as good with service as to how your describing covert. Bushnell i have yet to deal with. All good cams from them so far.