Tips for a Beginner

TheKID

Enjoy yourself. Enjoy being in the woods regardless of success. Keep a mind for safety. Learn your gear. Learning how to hunt is a process and can disappoint/frustrate a new hunter if success isn't there. Accept it and stay at it.

Lastly don't get caught up watching deer hunting on tv and expect real life to be like that.

Also in the early years of hunting especially, any deer is a trophy.

• Like 2

totally agree with a sportsman.  It took me 3 years to get my first deer and it wasn't much to look at it regards to size!  Tasted great though!  Its hard work especially if you are going to be hunting public land.  Get yourself a good pair of binos and use em!  If you don't plan on using a tree stand that's fine.  I go back and forth however start to find state parks that are close.  Then find one that you scout and spot deer at.  Get to know the land so you can get in to a "SWEET SPOT" or high traffic area in pitch black with only a head lamp if that.  Move very slow and remember if your having a bad day and haven't seen a deer that doesn't mean jack!!!!! They are an amazing animal and I don't understand the voodoo of the woods as to how you can cover so much ground and then as soon as the sun goes down they just APPEAR!  Like a grey ghost they move almost without sound as they glide through the forest.  Practice shooting and then go practice some more.  Remember to go slow! The day you jump a deer is cool however the day you spot one bedded down before it sees you is even better.  Stick to the basics with products such as a range finder, binos, scent block etc.  You really want to try and focus on enhancing YOUR abilities more so then worrying all the time about theirs.  Stalk with the wind to your face is a must.  Using binos enhances your sight to that of an eagle so it boosts a natural ability.  Learning your firearm is a must when it comes to making an ethical shot.  Most of all you just gotta get your butt in the woods.  After work, on the weekends. Stay organized so when it comes time to make a trip you aren't worried about where all your gear is at.  Permethrin your hunting clothes to keep the ticks off its the only stuff that works.  Clean your supplies and always bring more then enough water.  You can always use a bottle to pee in to mask your scent in the woods.  Hand held gps helps a ton however you are going to want to learn how to use a compass.  I keep three of em on me at all times.  Most of all have fun! That's what its all about.  Your getting ready to experience something you have never experienced before and the rush and so called "buck fever" is indescribable!  Good luck out there!

• Like 1

For items that you need there are a few recent threads on gear, like "whats' in your pack".

Deet seems to not do that much in high tick areas, Permethrin work great. Treat hunting clothes in advance, can be as little as 12-hours before wearing them.  The scent of it is gone once it dries.

Carry enough ammo.  Second time I was out deer hunting and had deer in range, I went through a whole box of slugs in less than 2 minutes - with no deer down.  Gun only held 3 rounds.  deer trotted in straight across my path and others right next to me - my eyes were bugged out.  Deer 10 yards in front and others 5 feet to the right.  Did hit the same tree 2-3 times.

Learn to take a breath, relax, and pull trigger on the exhale.

just seeing deer on your first deer hunt can be all the excitement needed to keep you happy for the rest of the hunt.

Practice alot, and then practice some more. Dont be afraid to shoot whatever is legal the first couple years. And the most important, non safety rule of all....... HAVE FUN

That's my plan. As long as it's legal it's getting tagged. I'm not worried about trophies yet. I still might mount my first deer regardless of the size. Edited by Borngeechee
  • Like 2

Spend as much time as you can in the woods , don't give up if you spook deer they generally don't run that far unless being chased and sometimes even circle back if they didn't actually spot you, practice shooting, don't forget to hunt the last days of the season I've  seen some really good deer taken on the last days, don't forget to get your dmp's it will increase your odds as a beginner and give you confidence in success .

Edited by NYP

Remember that what makes this such a rewarding sport is that it's not easy, it's not supposed to be. Don't be discouraged when you go days without seeing a deer, or if you don't tag one this season, or next season, or next.... Sooner or later you will connect and you will be hooked. The more time in the woods, the better your chances. It's ok to be a newbie. Some of my fondest memories of hunting are from my first days in the field, I didn't know much but I was in aw, and that's all that mattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's my plan. As long as it's legal it's getting tagged. I'm not worried about trophies yet. I still might mount my first deer regardless of the size.

Can't eat antlers and don't have room in my dinky apartment for a mount anyway. Unless it has a monster rack then I'll get a skull mount and store it in my dad's basement till I move to some where bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

totally agree with a sportsman.  It took me 3 years to get my first deer and it wasn't much to look at it regards to size!  Tasted great though!  Its hard work especially if you are going to be hunting public land.  Get yourself a good pair of binos and use em!  If you don't plan on using a tree stand that's fine.  I go back and forth however start to find state parks that are close.  Then find one that you scout and spot deer at.  Get to know the land so you can get in to a "SWEET SPOT" or high traffic area in pitch black with only a head lamp if that.  Move very slow and remember if your having a bad day and haven't seen a deer that doesn't mean jack!!!!! They are an amazing animal and I don't understand the voodoo of the woods as to how you can cover so much ground and then as soon as the sun goes down they just APPEAR!  Like a grey ghost they move almost without sound as they glide through the forest.  Practice shooting and then go practice some more.  Remember to go slow! The day you jump a deer is cool however the day you spot one bedded down before it sees you is even better.  Stick to the basics with products such as a range finder, binos, scent block etc.  You really want to try and focus on enhancing YOUR abilities more so then worrying all the time about theirs.  Stalk with the wind to your face is a must.  Using binos enhances your sight to that of an eagle so it boosts a natural ability.  Learning your firearm is a must when it comes to making an ethical shot.  Most of all you just gotta get your butt in the woods.  After work, on the weekends. Stay organized so when it comes time to make a trip you aren't worried about where all your gear is at.  Permethrin your hunting clothes to keep the ticks off its the only stuff that works.  Clean your supplies and always bring more then enough water.  You can always use a bottle to pee in to mask your scent in the woods.  Hand held gps helps a ton however you are going to want to learn how to use a compass.  I keep three of em on me at all times.  Most of all have fun! That's what its all about.  Your getting ready to experience something you have never experienced before and the rush and so called "buck fever" is indescribable!  Good luck out there!

good story, now go back to the city and stay there

Any advice for a new guy with deer season right around the corner?

Above what others have said. The first legal, safe and ethical shot you have on a deer within you confident range, take it. Don't worry about size and age and all the others hot button topics.  Enjoy it and don't  stress about it. Find a companion, or better yet a few, to enjoy it with. For me the best part of the season if doing it with family and friends.  

• Like 3

Expectations- Do not think that there will come a day when you will be an expert. There are a lot of people calling themselves that, but anyone who is honest will tell you that they are constantly learning new things, and seeing yesterday's "facts" replaced with todays realities. So enter hunting with a long term view. It's a lifetime activity that will keep you guessing forever. It is a challenge and is intended to be exactly that. Treat opinion as simply "opinion" and apply healthy skepticism. Stay open to observation and interpretation and flexibility, and you will do about as good as anyone over the long haul.

• Like 1