Wife and hunting

Borngeechee

I consider my self blessed. My wife grew up with no knowledge of guns or hunting. When I first started dating her I missed opening day of gun season to see her performance in a college dance recital. That's when my family knew she was the one for me. For her she thought nothing if me missing opening day. 9 years later she listens to all my stories, tracked deer with me and know that when it's hunting season I'll be in a tree..... Which is much better than half the men out there hanging out in a bar. She had grown to love the meat we eat and understands to effort and passion I have. She also sees the family bond I have with my dad and brother and hopes for the same with our daughter. With this all said bring on hunting season. The time of year I recharge my batteries.

• Like 1

I gotta admit it's comforting in knowing that my wife can rack a shell and light someones world up if they break in our house. We have no kids so I keep 3 guns in my bedroom with loaded tubes & clips. With all the firepower I have, I'll be God damned if someone takes us out in our own home!:D

• Like 1

My wife gets it. She just doesn't think its for her. But she does support my passions in whatever I do...including hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

same here. she got the full dose of hunting season for many years before we tied the knot. knew what she was getting into and likes venison.

It, however is always a struggle with time. Hunting the right way takes time. With a young family you need to know when to compromise.

Don't abuse the leash they give and do your part with chores and paying the bills and spend as much time as you can doing family stuff in the offseason and you should be fine :)

She likes to track and is happy when i have success. She's thought about hunting, but i tend not to push it. Hunting is my sacred alone time. I love my wife, but i'm not sure i want her in the blind with me. She's shot her fair share of squirrels so i know she can do it. Maybe i'll get into duck hunting some day.

Which is much better than half the men out there hanging out in a bar.

i use this line all the time. Would you rather me out gambling and drinking? Or going to bed at 9:30 on a friday night so i can be up at 4:30? haha.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

I consider my self blessed. My wife grew up with no knowledge of guns or hunting. When I first started dating her I missed opening day of gun season to see her performance in a college dance recital. That's when my family knew she was the one for me. For her she thought nothing if me missing opening day. 9 years later she listens to all my stories, tracked deer with me and know that when it's hunting season I'll be in a tree..... Which is much better than half the men out there hanging out in a bar. She had grown to love the meat we eat and understands to effort and passion I have. She also sees the family bond I have with my dad and brother and hopes for the same with our daughter. With this all said bring on hunting season. The time of year I recharge my batteries.

Like Eric, my wife grew up without guns in a south american country where only police and criminals (not mutually exclusive) had guns.  She was afraid to touch my 10-22 when I brought her to meet the parents and I wanted to do some plinking.  15 years later, she has taken the biggest buck so far at our 7M camp and killed 6 turkeys in 5 years.   Although she killed a great buck, she hunts for the challenge and the meat and would much rather shoot a yearling doe to eat than a buck.  I know lots of you guys like hunting as a get-away with the guys, but I love having my wife along on any hunt. 

She has been talking to me about a trip to hunt Merriams turkeys and/or an Elk hunt (she's tasted elk meat and wants more).  I am blessed.   The one problem with the elk hunt is that she hates large caliber recoil.  She shot my 30-06 once, and only once.  She loves her .257 Roberts.  She's torn about being underpowered on Elk with it vs. the recoil of a big caliber.  Need to find a way to get it done. 

Moral of the story, focus on the food and the challenge (marksmanship/woodsmanship) and your wife may become a hunter all on her own.

Do you like to go shoe shopping with your wife ? ^_^

Well I'm not married. But I would never marry somebody who's passion was shoe shopping :negative:

I was referring to those people (not here necessarily) who's wife "hates hunting". Why would somebody who's passion is hunting marry somebody like that?

Why would somebody who's passion is hunting marry somebody like that?

Well to be totally honest with you, because hunting isn't everything and motives for marriage are forged from love. If that love is true enough for a man & a woman to unite in holy matrimony, then along with that comes "honor & obey", "better or worse", "sickness or health", etc.

If that person holds you from pursuing your passions then they are in the wrong. If they simply dislike it or dont understand it then open minds will usually prevail if we explain the true meaning of it and express how passions in life lead to a peaceful soul.

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

Like a few of you my wife never hunted, shot a gun, or had any exposure to much outside of suburbia. I on the other hand grew up hunting, growing gardens, chopping firewood, fishing, etc. When we met she was not against it, but not for it. She didn't get it, and for a few of things (especially more guns) she still doesn't quite get it.

But no matter what she wishes me luck and wants me to tag out as soon as I can. She figures the faster I tag out the sooner I will be back at home hanging out with her. She listens to stories, eats what I cook, and lets me spend money on things I might need (or want). All in all I couldn't ask for any more than that.

I'll never understand how some people marry somebody who doesn't like one of your passions.

Marriage is about compromise. When i met my wife she was anti-hunting, she vowed never to eat anything i killed or ever shoot a gun. The reason she felt this way was because all she knew about hunting and guns was based on what see saw on tv or read in the news. She was a city girl who never saw a gun until she met me. In our 14 years together she has seen how much i enjoy it an how it keeps me out of trouble.  Even though i know she would never be able to shoot an animal, i got her to shoot a gun for a first time and she is the first person in line when i make veison chili.

I got to say that there is definitely something to hunting alone as well.  I love my wife and with a  child on the way I know my time in the woods in the future may be limited.  Or it may not!  I rarely make overnight trips it just requires more driving to get home but she has been amazing with letting me go whenever I want.  There is definitely something to hunting alone anyhow.  I enjoy the time I get out in the woods.  I brought some non hunting friends on some trips before and while it was fun it wasn't the same!  When I go into the woods. THOSE ARE MY WOODS! ITS MY TIME.  Back home its her time but when I step out of that truck and enter the woods its MY TIME! I love her to death but sometimes a man needs to think, run around, be free, naked, and alone in the woods lol jk no but seriously it reminds me of that movie goonies when they are in the water well and I friggin quote

Mikey: "Don't you realize? The next time you see sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here. That's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket" 

So enjoy your time in the woods. If you can get the misses to come along then great! If not remember you are there for you.  You work hard enough. Take time to smell the bear poo and enjoy some private time alone with your thoughts and the adventure of the great outdoors!

• Like 3

I got to say that there is definitely something to hunting alone as well. 

I don't share that. Maybe a difference in how I was introduced to it but I really enjoy the hunting with others more than alone. Just something about seeing a kid take there first "           " fill in the blank. Something about deer camp with my father, family and friends. I know more and more people that were never exposed to that setting and have only hunted alone of with one buddy. Seems like a dwindling part of the tradition to me.

I don't share that. Maybe a difference in how I was introduced to it but I really enjoy the hunting with others more than alone. Just something about seeing a kid take there first "           " fill in the blank. Something about deer camp with my father, family and friends. I know more and more people that were never exposed to that setting and have only hunted alone of with one buddy. Seems like a dwindling part of the tradition to me.

I think that there is a place for both... I like being with the guys at camp, and I enjoy time with my sons while hunting... but my favorite "hunting" .. I mean where I am really focused on finding and killing a nice buck... that is done best alone in my opinion... I am able to really concentrate on what I'm doing without worrying about anything or anybody else.

• Like 2

deer camp with father and uncles and cousins is important to me, but it's always been a "guys" environment. My cousin is a girl who fits right in, but it can still be awkward.

Hunting in the stand is always solitary to me. Never desired someone else to be there with me. But i understand those that do.

Archery has always been solitary, gun has always been "a party" haha.

Edited by Belo

Like x 1,000. Can't understate the importance of what you said there.

I missed a brute of a buck with my rifle (I was new to rifle hunting at the time in my early 20s) at about 15 yards on the run from a few dogs. I was a member of a hunt club in VA and I was on a powerline. We all had CBs and stands were a few hundred yards apart. I heard the crackle "I think the kid missed him." "Yep, he missed."

I got back to camp for lunch and 40 guys were wanting to hear how I missed that buck. I had only shot once and went to pump the rifle instead of work the bolt. By the time I realized it, the buck was across the powerline and into cover with the dog trailing. I had never had to go through a follow-up shot with a rifle before after years of shotgun hunting.

So, this old guy asked me to show him how I cycle through the rifle (unloaded) and the crowd of guys gathered around. I shouldered, and every so slightly took the rifle down to work the bolt (pretty fast). He gave me the thumbs up for my speed but told me I had one glaring defect that probably cost me the buck. He took my rifle, and this guy was early 70s, and worked the action without ever moving the gun off the shoulder and repeated it 3-4x super fast. Everyone got a great laugh out of it and I learned a great lesson.

You don't get that hunting by yourself all the time. There's a time and place to hunt solo. But, there's also time that should be spent with others pursuing the game.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

you got to figure a way to get her involved.

Funny story about my wife. I decided to book a half day pheasant hunt to break in a new bird barrel and choke for my Mossberg 500.

Wife came along and the plan was for me to hunt the a.m. then the afternoon we would go pick apples at a nearby farm.

Wife planned to wait in the car but when we got to the farm to pheasant hunt, the farmer says “why don’t you come along, you can help carry birds”. Being a sweet girl she was like ok.

He gives her this huge XL orange vest and told her to walk 5 yards behind us as we followed the two setters working the field. When the dogs would bring back the bird, the farmer would grab it, spin their neck and shove it in the back pocket of her vest, sometimes with wings still flapping.

By the end I shot 7 pheasants and I will never forget how she looked! The pockets of the vest were stuffed with 5 bleeding pheasants. Her hair was a mess, plus it had rained the night before and her sneakers and pant bottoms were covered with mud from slipping all around following us. Plus the look of horror on her faces from seeing the dead birds!!! She was miserable!!

I tipped that farmer very good that day! Good news was she enjoyed the experience overall and loved watching the dogs do their thing, which I agree is amazing!

• Like 1

you got to figure a way to get her involved.

Funny story about my wife. I decided to book a half day pheasant hunt to break in a new bird barrel and choke for my Mossberg 500.

Wife came along and the plan was for me to hunt the a.m. then the afternoon we would go pick apples at a nearby farm.

Wife planned to wait in the car but when we got to the farm to pheasant hunt, the farmer says “why don’t you come along, you can help carry birds”. Being a sweet girl

she was like ok.

He gives her this huge XL orange vest and told her to walk 5 yards behind us as we followed the two setters working the field. When the dogs would bring back the bird, the farmer would grab it, spin their neck and shove it in the back pocket of her vest, sometimes with wings still flapping.

By the end I shot 7 pheasants and I will never forget how she looked! The pockets of the vest were stuffed with 5 bleeding pheasants. Her hair was a mess, plus it had rained the night before and her sneakers and pant bottoms were covered with mud from slipping all around following us. Plus the look of horror on her faces from seeing the dead birds!!! She was miserable!!

I tipped that farmer very good that day! Good news was she enjoyed the experience overall and loved watching the dogs

do their thing, which I agree is amazing!

Good story

yea I think this is a very common problem lol. I continue to hear the negative comments on hunting and I just love throwing it back at em as far as referring to the next time they eat a steak to think about putting a bolt gun up to its head and driving a piece of steel through its brains. Or loading a bunch of pigs into a pen and crushing them to death! These animals sit in there own shit there entire lives with a hole cut into their stomachs to monitor the digestion of an unnatural and nutrition less food source like corn. I usually explain the fact that these animals got the chance to live naturally enjoying a lifetime in the woods and a quick death due to an ethical shot. As far as the actual hunting aspect goes most people were not raised in a country back round UNFORTUNATLY. I wish that's how I was raised but it truly wasn't. I discovered a love for this sport all on my own. Even my father snarls at me every time I bring up hunting because he used to hunt and my mother hated it so he pretends he never did. I brought it up one time and he gave me the finger lol I wish my wife would get into it. She has helped me track down a deer I shot and also helped me dragg it out of the woods as well. As far as hunting goes though most people wouldn't think twice about spending the entire day sitting in a tree lol Especially on long island where we have a massive overpopulation problem however people still stick to their weak minded cute cuddly side that this is a world where killing doesn't happen and the garden nomes will just tell the deer to go away. I love watching them sink there teeth into a big bloody piece of steak chewing and macerating the meat between there teeth enjoying the taste of animal fat as it slides around inside their mouth. Yet if you were to put a bolt gun in there hands and introduce them to the steak would they eat it after drilling a hole through their forehead? In reality people would be quicker to kill each other for food in a time of crisis then to ever learn how to hunt. The only way I could imagine bringing my wife out for a hunt is if there is another hunter with a wife and kids and we rent a cabin where the men go out for a hunt while the women stay at home together playing with the kids. It must be cool to have a chick that's into it. Im sure if your rich as hell and can afford to go on trips around the world with guided hunts where you both get to sit in a ground blind while animals are drawn to a watering hole then cool. However in the real world hunting is hard work. Most people are lazy by nature especially with all the new technology to play with. Hard work for something you aren't obsessed with is hard to find people that are willing to do.

+100. This is a yearly argument I have with some so called friends that can't believe I kill an animal. If so called cute and cuddly deer is so friendly why don't they just go and try to give it a hug. The problem is the disconnect where people can't wrap their head around field to platter, with out going to the grocery store "where it's made." Too many people expect instant reward/ results with today's fast paced world, that they can't go spend 6 hours in the woods continually looking at the same landscape being able to take it all in with enjoyment.

• Like 1