Political section? Why so quiet?

I'm sitting here watching the news and wondering, where did everyone go?

With the country obviously under attack and falling apart at the seams right in front of our eyes, this section is virtually dead. Why don't we see endless posts here about how much better our lives are, how much safer our country is, how much brighter our children's future? 

My suspicion is; embarrassment and guilt for those who feel duped and responsible, and on the other side, paralyzing fear. 

I know, I know, it is a hunting site, Well, can anyone tell me what the hunting will be like if and when China takes over?  Think it can't happen? 

Get it together people, for the sake of our country! 

• Like 1

The most criticism of this site has historically been about the political section and the outright combat that politics has caused here. I have personally decided to stay away from political comments here because I do not want to feed the bitter controversy that seems to erupt whenever someone brings up political issues. People get real sensitive when you discuss politics. I have a feeling that most members are kind of shying away from starting these kinds of discussions (arguments) here for the same reasons. It seems that this site is under attack, and I do not want to add to the difficulties and descension. So unless the discussions involve the politics of weapons, hunting, trapping, fishing, or outdoor activities, I am going to cool it here for awhile. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

People get real sensitive when you discuss politics.

I agree, Doc. But, conversation and even argument, now matter how heated and passionate, when delivered by thoughtful people in a respectful manner, is healthy and a corner stone of a healthy society in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It seems that this site is under attack, and I do not want to add to the difficulties and d descension.

I don't feel like this site is under attack anymore. In fact, I think it is a nice place to visit, with generally friendly people. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

So unless the discussions involve the politics of weapons, hunting, trapping, fishing, or outdoor activities, I am going to cool it here for awhile.

I can understand and respect your position. However, I think everything that is going on right now is going to have a profound impact on those very activities, as well as every other area of our life.

Dividing people and then shutting them up will be to all of our peril. The issues we currently face in my opinion go far deeper than Republican and Democrat, and it is my great hope we can all come together as Americans before it is too late. 

To me it is like quietly knowing you may have a serious health condition but choose to ignore it in hope it will just go away. In my past experience, such an approach seldom ends well. 

Now,  it's off to the garden for me, tending to the chickens, and then canning with the wife. 

Have a good day folks!

I have 13 years with this site, and quite a bit of time on other hunting sites. One thing I have learned is to carefully choose the time and place for discussing politics. It's kind of the same rule that many families have for conversation around the Thanksgiving dinner table......lol. Those kinds of topics tend to make reasonable people lose their minds. I have seen and even participated in such conversations over my time here and have watched EVERY such topic go sideways in a hurry. There are places to discuss such things, but from what I have seen, this site is not one of those places.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with discussing politics, as long as the people discussing it can defend their positions with facts.  Things get heated when people start throwing insults after they know they've lost the debate.

I don't think you will find anyone who can have a discussion about Biden's Presidency and defend any of it with logic or facts.  Good intentions and "feels" do not count when evaluating an administration.  Results do.

• Like 3

Why post what's already known and make others sad too ?

It was just a given that NY and the other blue bastions of regressive lefty lib run states were going to go to shit, but after warning other states of the impending doom and them laughing at us while lefty's are getting a foothold to ruin those states too, it's like the whole country is going to shit now and I have nowhere to go to die in peace.

They stopped teaching and are rewriting history for a reason, as those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Why post what's already known and make others sad too ?

It was just a given that NY and the other blue bastions of regressive lefty lib run states were going to go to shit, but after warning other states of the impending doom and them laughing at us while lefty's are getting a foothold to ruin those states too, it's like the whole country is going to shit now and I have nowhere to go to die in peace.

They stopped teaching and are rewriting history for a reason, as those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it.

Doesn’t matter you’re in a red or blue state. They are both messed up along with the people running them

14 hours ago, boo711 said:

Doesn’t matter you’re in a red or blue state. They are both messed up along with the people running them

This is a common refrain from Democrats, but people aren't leaving red states to settle in blue ones.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

This is a common refrain from Democrats, but people aren't leaving red states to settle in blue ones.

I agree.  But this country is on a downward spiral it seems. Again, doesn’t matter the state, democrats and Republicans are f’ed up 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, boo711 said:

I agree.  But this country is on a downward spiral it seems. Again, doesn’t matter the state, democrats and Republicans are f’ed up 

Yup! I maintain from the start that the America First movement, like it or not, has been the middle finger from the forgotten working class Republican and Democrats to the entitled elite class made up of both parties.

No person with even half a brain and shred of integrity can look at what is happening in this country and deny it being destructive and a threat to our safety and way of life. 

My impression of why this particular thread is so quiet though, is because of two reasons. The first being, those who championed and voted for this nightmare don’t want to be reminded or called out.  

And, the second group of people are scared to speak up for fear of being targeted.  

I would have never in a million years thought I would see our country in such a state. This is frightening and heartbreaking to watch for any patriotic American, no matter what your political party. 

• Like 1

Another good reason to avoid this political section is the depressed feelings that come from being reminded that we (the voting public) voted in all these idiots and crooks (precinct by precinct) that are destroying the fabric of this country. We are doing it to ourselves.

Can anybody discuss the situation that we are in and not walk away depressed and realizing that the reason for our eventual demise will be the erosion of the basic decency and character of the people within it. Now, there is the obvious reality that each successive generation has deteriorated to the point where one has to look inwardly and see that the system has finally broken because of the "something for nothing" citizenry that comprises it. We can blame the political parties, but in the end we must understand that the government and the parties that run it are simply a reflection of ourselves.

• Like 3

Funny I keep hearing people are fleeing NY in droves. But when a home goes up for sale around here it sells in a week, many with bidding wars selling for over listed price. Been that way for some time now. Also if everyone is leaving I'd think our homes values would be going down and you'd be seeing foreclosures and see for sale signs everywhere, none of which is happening?

Businesses in NY are booming, contractors are booked two yrs out. People are renovated. Try calling calling a contractor, you'll see. Restaurants are busier than ever packed to the doors.

NY city which everyone was writing off for dead 2yrs ago is booming, with a population increases which exceed pre Covid. Tourism, restaurants, clubs, infrastructure and building everywhere.

Now this isn't only NY, Connecticut, Jersey, PA, New Hampshire, Mass are all the same. 

Unemployment is at record lows and the DOW has been hovering around 35k for two yrs now. If your not making money in the market now, I don't know what to say?

I'm finally seeing roads being repaved here upstate everywhere. Highway improvements, state and town rds looking good. Far cry from the zero in infrastructure spending during Trump.

And a common scary china theme? I'm not to worried about China, they need us and much as we need them.

10 States People Are Fleeing

#2. New York

Moving out of New York has become trendy, it would seem. The skyrocketing cost of living and ever-increasing local, state and federal taxes are driving factors. Many technology and banking industry workers that had spent a great deal of time in the office have found that working remotely due to the pandemic better suits their desires, allowing them to leave the city and, perhaps, live closer to extended family members. New York saw a net loss of over 75 thousand families last year. 

https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/features/states-move-to-from/#scrollto_10_states_people_are_leaving_section

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

How can one not be humiliated for voting the current Democrat administration in, pretty hard to defend and play the party platform up when the country is turning into a bigtime shithole. The libtatrds and closet Democrats have left here for the most part and I for one am glad they are gone.

Al

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, airedale said:

How can one not be humiliated for voting the current Democrat administration in, pretty hard to defend and play the party platform up when the country is turning into a bigtime shithole. The libtatrds and closet Democrats have left here for the most part and I for one am glad they are gone.

Al

Better than the Republican Reich Wing party. Criminals and thugs led by a NYC con man and fraud.

Well, we can see what Democrats have done during Biden's administration and analyze the consequences to all US citizens.  I don't think you can defend any of it with facts or logic.

What can you point to that would back up your accusations about the GOP or anything that happened during the Trump administration that had negative consequences for all of us?

• Like 4

On 8/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Better than the Republican Reich Wing party. Criminals and thugs led by a NYC con man and fraud.

Yeah I guess so. We are all living how bad it was back when Trump was in power. I just lived it again today at the store and fuel pump.  There is nothing better in anyone’s life today compared to 4 years ago. Every aspect of life cost more and is now 3 times more dangerous. Take a special kind of stupid to vote anything left.     Hope everyone’s kids are still the same way god made them before they started school last year. Schools know… You, not so much. Sad. 

More Bidenomics for everyone to deal with.

Mortgage Rates Rise

The average rate for the most common type of mortgage in the US has risen to almost 7.1%, according to data from a survey of lenders made by mortgage financing giant Freddie Mac. The figure—for 30-year fixed-rate loans—is the highest since December 2001 and is up two percentage points over the past year (and more than 4.4 points from the all-time low seen in January 2021).

Among other factors, mortgage rates are influenced by the Federal Reserve, which hiked the federal funds rate from 0% to 5.25-5.5% over the past year and a half in an effort to fight inflation. Higher mortgage rates mean higher costs for would-be home buyers and tend to cause a slowdown in the housing market. Sales of existing homes dropped by almost 19% year-over-year in June, according to reports—though the median price increased to $410K, close to an all-time high.
For context, a buyer making a 20% down payment on the median-priced house would pay $465K in interest over the life of a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage—more than the cost of the house itself.

On 8/23/2023 at 1:08 AM, Grouse said:

1c.jpg

Ok...there you go again confusing the issues with pesky inconvenient facts! What's next? You gonna start the rumor that the mayor of NYC is all over the news begging for billions of dollars to provide for the flood of illegal immigrants? How dare you spread these conspiracy theories? Before you know it you will be telling us the masks are coming back! Or, that the government is gonna start hunting down anyone who raises questions or concerns over the direction of our country, or speaks out against tyranny.

Edited by New York Hillbilly
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Who wants to be angry all the time? Depressed all the time?

There's forums I stopped visiting all together and others I only visit occasionally because it's all doom and gloom all the time.   Even if it's accurate and true, I don't need it 24 hours a day.   Sort of like the reason people object so much to things like football players kneeling for the anthem. Because watching sports is escapism, to get away from things like that, only to have it forced on them again.  I visit certain forums for the same reason, momentary escapism. I don't need to be beaten over the head with sociopolitical aggravation everywhere I go. 

• Like 1