Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

Should have been able to fill a tag this morning on a doe. Goofed up! I have a nice two man stand at the edge of a grown over field where the deer "always" travel on multiple cross trails just inside the woods. There's a pocket of open woods right in front of the stand that has an old logging road that winds up my hill, sandwiched between some really tangled scrub apple trees. This is in front of the stand and the field is directly behind me.

This morning is the first time I went to this stand this season, and with it dark when I went up the hill, I could not find where I tuck my wheeler into the tangled mess at the field edge. So I just ran it into the top of a blown down tree. Then without a flashlight, I bumbled around trying to locate the stand. When I found my stand and climbed up, I turned around and right behind me was my four wheeler. lol

Well, I was not the only one who saw it! Around 7:15 as I was watching the trails in front of me where the deer "always" travel, I happened to turn my head to the field and there was a big, lone doe standing there head bobbing at my four wheeler. Then she bounded into the woods to my right and at about 15 yards just stood there in the thick stuff. All she had to do was take about 2 or 3 steps further ad would have been hanging in my garage. But it was not meant to be because she turns and walked off in the opposite direction, stiff legged walking obviously still shook up about the wheeler. I was sick about the  deal because it would have been a chip shot with the crossbow.

Then over the next hour I froze my feet and hands so bad I couldn't hack it. I stood up and put the crossbow down on my seat, as I tried wiggling my toes and shoved my hands down in my pockets trying to get the burning to stop. It was about 8:30, and I was standing looking in disgust out at the field now, when I no sooner got my hands in my pockets and here we go again! I hear a snap behind me and turn my head back around to the trails. Here comes a small doe with a bigger one following behind her.  In the meantime I'm now turned the wrong way, my hands are in my pockets, and the crossbow on the seat of the stand. I tried as sneaky and careful as I could pick the bow up, turned myself around , and they both ran off, up the hill. They were under 20 yards away and would have passed me broadside if I was in position. Again, would have been easy shot. What can I say other than I blew it this morning!

After that I got down and worked on a ground blind where I used to have my son sit when he was a teen and hunted with me. He's coming for Thanksgiving this year, and I'm hoping he might decide to go out with me for the first time in over 20 years.

I went out this afternoon for about 3 hours and sat in the ground blind. Saw nothing, but at least it was warmer than the metal ladder stand.

• Like 3

Pulled an all day sit today, constant deer came by 10-30 yards this am only for fawns and spikes( 13 total) nothing 10-2:30 pm, then 8 deer came outa no where at 3pm small 8 chasing a small doe, and a spike. 21 deer in total and about 50 turkeys! Had to yell at a doe to get her to go away at dark, she just stood at 30 yards while I walked out. I’ll be putting my dad in this stand sat morning.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Didn't see anything but that's not a surprise since we caught some trespasser walking around during the last 15 minutes of light.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Let the games and excuses begin! Did you confront the trespasser?  "I always hunted here." "I got lost." "I know the owner and he gave me permission." "I didn't know it was posted." "I didn't see the signs." "You don't have it legally posted." etc. 

• Like 1

Let the games and excuses begin! Did you confront the trespasser?  "I always hunted here." "I got lost." "I know the owner and he gave me permission." "I didn't know it was posted." "I didn't see the signs." "You don't have it legally posted." etc. 
I tried to and he took off rather quickly. I'm pretty sure he was from one of the neighboring properties.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First-light said:

Brother got it done tonight perfect 8 point slob! 30 yard shot rage broadhead probably saved us from tracking. Hit was back but out a huge hole in the deer. He went about 50 yards. 

IMG_4671.jpeg

72177885312__1A38622E-B030-428B-9B96-1B1A03B29C5F.jpeg

Congrats..
With that shot most probably cut the aorta
https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/blogs/dan-schmidt-deer-blog-whitetail-wisdom/femoral-artery-the-blood-highway-in-deer

• Like 1

Getting all my last minute prep ready for Saturday, it’s been warm and dry but Saturday is a whole new ball game. I was more excited about gun season this year than any before, but this morning the phone rings and my aunt passed away. 98 years old lived and seen it all , funeral is Saturday, good luck to everybody I’ll be a day late. Sh))t happens.

• Sad 1