Tough meat ?

luberhill

I’ve been hunting since I was 14 and I’m 64 now

This 8 point in shot last year is tougher than show leather

I hung it and everything the way I always have .

Even the backstraps are tough .

Ive used tenderizer etc doesn’t matter 

If I slice them 1/8” thick and make cheese steak subs will that make them easier to chew 

Strange. I'd grind it all then and restock the freezer with a different deer for steaks etc. I'm assuming you've cut plenty of deer up before and not had the issue? If you aren't cutting steaks across the grain it'll make it tough.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, luberhill said:

I’ve been hunting since I was 14 and I’m 64 now

This 8 point in shot last year is tougher than show leather

I hung it and everything the way I always have .

Even the backstraps are tough .

Ive used tenderizer etc doesn’t matter 

If I slice them 1/8” thick and make cheese steak subs will that make them easier to chew 

How many days did it hang after you killed it until you froze it ?

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Same as I always have

That should have been long enough to get it past rigor mortis, unless it was more than 3-1/2 years old.  

At this point, I’d thaw it all out, chunk it up, and can it, using a pressure cooker.  My buddy did that with an 8-1/2 year old moose a few years ago.  It also was as tough as shoe leather, until he did that, which made it tender and delicious.  

I suspect that even the grind will be tough, if you go that route.  

I’ve been eating venison for 50 years and never had one that was tough, except for a few tenderloins that I ate too quick, from older deer.  

I did hear of a couple of friends having that trouble though.  One was obviously a very old buck (6-1/2 plus), and the other was a 2-1/2 year old buck that survived 8 days after a bad bow shot.  If vas very highly stressed carrying an arrow around for a week.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

I agree with Charlie and Wolc when it comes to tough meat the pressure cookers will do wonders, I have a counter top electric one and cook tough game meat cuts in it all the time, the meat falls off the bone and the cook time is short. The good old slow cooking crockpot will work great too if not in a hurry. 

Al

• Like 4