If It's Brown, It's Down..I Hate this term!

DirtTime

I used to use the term but thankfully (for myself, to each his own) have developed patience.  I am not a trophy hunter either, got my first 8 pt last year, my 19th season for Deer.  I look for body size and that's what works for me.  We also need to remember, there was a time when Deer were not as plentiful as they are today.  I recall seeing a picture of a hunter in the Adirondacks, circa. 1950's with a Buck.  It was a big deal back then as Deer were sparse. 

Machinist, if that's all the meat you want, could you find some body to take the rest of what you do not want. Ask if they would split the cost of the processing if you do not do it yourself. or [possibly donate it to a needy family that would appreciate the meat. Just a thought. 

The reason I say this because this is what I do. (when I get one). I have people who will trade salmon for venison, or I will give to the church for their local game dinner. Or to anybody else who wants some. My family loves speedies (?) so that's how most of it cut.

mr magoo

I personally have mixed feelings about the term. I personally do not shoot smaller deer, mainly because I would want them to stay in the area. If a young hunter shots one more power to them because they need to get a feel for what it takes and the responsibility that comes with pulling the trigger. with that said have I shot small deer, oh by far. But at this point in my life it is not so much about filling my tag as it is about my kids and getting together in camp. Do I still hunt as hard as before by far, does it make my heart skip a few beats when I see an animal oh yea. But it doesn't mean I have to kill it just because its there. I personally prefer larger animals that's all

mr magoo

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Truer words were never spoken....

That's awesome!

I can't stand hearing hunters, usually you get hunters uttering this type of nonsense...

We hunt for ourselves. No need to amp it up with bs terms or names we give deer...

Swampdonkey, rackasaurous, 12 point ninja and other crap guys name deer they saw on there trail camera once a year....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha give me a break!

You guys notice that most of this stupid talk on TV is done by southerners??  Shows that are hosted by people from other parts of the country typically don't resort to such nonsense from the shows I've seen.  

I guess everyone wants to be a TV or internet star these days.  Just look at all the people on this forum who talk about wanting to videotape themselves making a kill.  I guess it's not enough to just kill a deer these days, they also need to videotape themselves and show it to the rest of the world.  I will NEVER understand such thinking.  From what I've seen, these people are generally the first to throw someone else under a bus for killing deer that don't measure up to their standards.  To these people hunting is all about scores and measurements, and I for one feel sorry that they will never know how fulfilling hunting can really be.  TV hunting shows have really messed up the views of a whole generation of hunters it seems.

• Like 1

AMEN! Preach On!

To me being at camp with friends and family is what its really all about... It's the stories and adventures we go through to shoot that scrubby... It's the snowstorms and frigid temps we endure

It's seeing the kids shoot their first deer.

It's eating a venison chili during buck...

Not once has an antler score ever been mentioned in my camp...

They would not be invited back

The most inspiring thread I've seen on this forum in a LONG time was posted just the other day.  It was Sogaard's thread where he took his twin boys on their first deer hunt and they BOTH bagged a deer.  And on public land to boot.  How much better than that can hunting possibly get??  I'll take Sogaard's great story over a hundred others of guys boasting about the 150 class buck that they finally killed after capturing it on trail cameras for the last 3 years!!

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

Why knock on people that video tape themselves and make generalizations about them.  If they want to tape who cares, takes a lot of skill to do it right. And some of the video's i've seen are pretty awesome.  

You and a few of your buddies have always been the first to jump on my butt for being vocal in my opposition to antler restrictions, so it doesn't surprise me that you were offended with the comments I made about people having the need to videotape themselves.  Thank you for proving my point that you guy are generally one and the same.

You and a few of your buddies have always been the first to jump on my butt for being vocal in my opposition to antler restrictions, so it doesn't surprise me that you were offended with the comments I made about people having the need to videotape themselves.  Thank you for proving my point that you guy are generally one and the same.

You can oppose whatever you wish, I can care less about your stance on AR's.

I'm not offended by your comments, I just wanted to point out that what you said in that comment (as well as the one quoted above) is BS. You are not proving anything.  

The most inspiring thread I've seen on this forum in a LONG time was posted just the other day.  It was Sogaard's thread where he took his twin boys on their first deer hunt and they BOTH bagged a deer.  And on public land to boot.  How much better than that can hunting possibly get??  I'll take Sogaard's great story over a hundred others of guys boasting about the 150 class buck that they finally killed after capturing it on trail cameras for the last 3 years!!

To some of us thats what we call..Hunting.. To find a mature buck and defeat him on his turf by fair means can be the biggest,purist means to the word..Hunting.. To sit in an area that has many deer per acre and kill any deer that walks by does not constitute hunting for some .Harvesting,shooting,killing are some words that comes to mind when that plays out.

Aren't we all lucky that we can say the same sport means much more to each other?

• Like 1

The $70 my butcher charges( although he has given me a break on fawns ) has the smallest effect on the price per pound . Lic. $100, new stands,guns ammo,boots and countless tanks of gas I go through,gift to farmer about $100 .

Now I have not shot a fawn in quite awhile,but that's to avoid killing BB. Few years back 8 BB were killed on the farm,we pass up young antlered bucks but kill the BB,did not make a lot of sense .

But when I do I feel like I should fill my freezer with a pile of them ,they are mighty tasty!

Plus anyone can hit a large target....

i'm confused... you didn't talk to your gf for 2 days because she said that? that's pretty serious bro...

I am not a "brown it's down" guy. But most research will tell you that shooting fawn does are actually the best thing to do for managing your property. I guess the only deer I ever take issue with is harvesting a button buck. And that goes for anyone other than new/youth hunters. New/youth should shoot anything that moves. Especially with a bow. Need to get your experience in.

i'm confused... you didn't talk to your gf for 2 days because she said that? that's pretty serious bro...

I am not a "brown it's down" guy. But most research will tell you that shooting fawn does are actually the best thing to do for managing your property. I guess the only deer I ever take issue with is harvesting a button buck. And that goes for anyone other than new/youth hunters. New/youth should shoot anything that moves. Especially with a bow. Need to get your experience in.

I know what you mean but your wording is going to get alot of bashing the young hunters need to shoot what ever deer gives the chance to not everything that moves

I use to be strictly a buck hunter.  Things change, people change and the circumstanced on LI have changed.  If I do not kill every doe I see the snipers will try to.  Filming the chase allows others to enjoy and see what I do, not just as a, "look what I shot" but as an instructional and educational tool. 

Just because we all hunt in different ways should not make my way the proper way or only way and everyone should follow me.  Again remember perspective. 

Try not to generalize everyone into one group.  Like the PETA would say all hunters suck! 

Should I not watch a video of a new kid with his dad filming because all those who film just want to be famous?  Or the coyote video kills some members post?  Again remember perspective.  Not everything is black and white.  And not all who post videos want to be famous.

Steve and Doewhacker and I have gotten into heated debates over many things but I still respect you both and now admire Doewhacker after hearing his story about his kids helping drag out a deer and other post. 

Enjoy others success and be happy you have the ability to hunt, life is too short to worry about some of these minor things!!! 

We have gotten awful spoiled, haven't we? In many places these days, it is not a question of finding a deer. It is more a question of figuring out exactly which deer we want to shoot. We've actually gotten to a point of arrogance about the subject. We get downright cocky about our hunting, or at least that's the kind of image we want to project to our peers .... lol.

But a lot of us remember times when deer were not so plentiful, and taking a deer was not taken for granted. We didn't raise our own back then, or feed them or coddle them for our own benefits. A deer, any deer, was a hard earned trophy, and there was a very real reason for the saying that "If it's brown, it's down". However, in spite of our modern-day arrogance, it has to be admitted that there are still places where a deer harvest is not a given, let alone the ability to be "picky" in the selection of that kill.

So when somebody says that this year if it's brown, it's down, I don't come out with the criticism. I understand exactly what they are saying. Either life's demands has limited their time, or the limited availability in their hunting area does not allow them to assume that they have the luxury of picking and choosing. At any rate, the fact that they have purchased a license and that they intend to abide by the laws of NYS means that any success that they have will get a sincere congratulations from me.

• Like 4

When I read this thread what really stood out to me is how divided hunters are. 

There is so much in-fighting within our group (hunters) the anti's  must be smiling ear to ear.

Seriously who cares if someone says brown it down,  who cares if someone make a hit list, want to video their hunt.

• Like 2

I didn't know the term "if it's brown it's down" was specifically meant that you were heading out to kill a fawn..........could very well be the guy who passed on smaller bucks all year hoping for a really nice one has finally decided he'll settle for the smaller 6 or 8 he passed up all season.......couple weeks ago my wife asked me if I was gonna "put the smackdown on a big old swampy donkey", haven't spoken to her since.

• Like 2

When I read this thread what really stood out to me is how divided hunters are.

There is so much in-fighting within our group (hunters) the anti's must be smiling ear to ear.

Seriously who cares if someone says brown it down, who cares if someone make a hit list, want to video their hunt.

I agree 100%. Anyone who judges another law abiding hunter is doing so strictly out of their own arrogance. My grandfather is almost 80, when he shoots a fawn I am happy for him. When the guy who works 60 hours a week and takes care of his family shoots a fawn, I am happy for him. When the hardcore deer hunter with a good number of buck on the wall shoots a fawn, I am happy for him. No one has the right to judge someone else, no one. That mentality is no different than the one shared by anti's. It's judging another person based on your own opinion of what they should be doing. Whatever happened to living free?

• Like 1