Licenses Ditching Plastic and Going with Paper

airedale

On 3/24/2024 at 8:48 AM, landtracdeerhunter said:

Funny how things cycle back to the better way 

On 3/22/2024 at 9:08 AM, airedale said:

We had paper tags for many years and we got along fine with them, I use a water resistant back tag holder and have a license wallet dedicated to hold all the various licenses, so there will not be much of a problem. What I am most worried about is that this new system rolls out smoothly with zero glitches.

Al

Do you think we would be able to make photo copies of 24+25 license, if original is damaged? I believe reproduction of the vinyl license was illegal.

If I remember correctly, when the back tags were paper. The print was permanent ink. today most of the ink is water based. Also if you lost your back tag you would have to go to a DEC office to get a new one and they would write your number in black marker on a blank tag. if you lost carcass tags you were shit out of luck.

• 2 months later...

Reading in NY Outdoor News that if you purchase your license from an issuing agent they want to charge a little fee for printing out your license. Alway looking to squeeze you for more money!

Al

41 minutes ago, airedale said:

Reading in NY Outdoor News that if you purchase your license from an issuing agent they want to charge a little fee for printing out your license. Alway looking to squeeze you for more money!

Al

The article also stated that some of the places that sold licenses may stop due to their increased cost .

• 4 weeks later...

The DEC put out a video about this.  I still say that this will pretty much allow people to kill as many deer as they want.   Most people have to drive to their hunting spots.  Some like myself a good distance.   You would take a big risk not filling out your tag to transport the deer back home with the old tags.  You voided it once you filled it out.  Who is to stop someone from filling out this printable paper tag and then just printing out another one (or already having a bunch printed) to use next time??  The only way these new paper tags would work effectively is if people had to call in or post in their kills via DEC website immediately after a kill.  Giving people several days to call it in with these new tags will in reality give hunters NO bag limits.  Yeah, some will claim that many killed over their bag limits even with the old tags, which is true.  But why the hell make things even easier for these type of folks??  And don't tell me that this new system isn't going to be tempting for many others out there also.   Huge blunder here by the DEC in my opinion.

7 hours ago, steve863 said:

The DEC put out a video about this.  I still say that this will pretty much allow people to kill as many deer as they want.   Most people have to drive to their hunting spots.  Some like myself a good distance.   You would take a big risk not filling out your tag to transport the deer back home with the old tags.  You voided it once you filled it out.  Who is to stop someone from filling out this printable paper tag and then just printing out another one (or already having a bunch printed) to use next time??  The only way these new paper tags would work effectively is if people had to call in or post in their kills via DEC website immediately after a kill.  Giving people several days to call it in with these new tags will in reality give hunters NO bag limits.  Yeah, some will claim that many killed over their bag limits even with the old tags, which is true.  But why the hell make things even easier for these type of folks??  And don't tell me that this new system isn't going to be tempting for many others out there also.   Huge blunder here by the DEC in my opinion.

I'm in your camp. I actually received two sets of license last year. Some friends said keep them and use it as needed. I did the right thing and called in and they voided one set. Seriously I do not have a printer and no need for one. I buy online. There better be an option for them sending me a paper copy. Really what are we doing here saving what being greener how. I don't get this decision. 

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I will continue to stop into the local town hall to uptain a license. Wouldn't surprise me if they charge extra for getting it there.

I can't justify a printer and ink for the extra cost. The days coming when an app will be all you need to show proof of hunting license and carcass tags.

I will be going to town hall too for my license.. Last year I used my debit card to pay and there was a fee for that. Paying cash this time.