Which crossbow??

MACHINIST

I have been looking and doing as much research as I can.With the 200lb limit,17"tip to tip and whatnot what are your guys and gals votes for the best NY crossbow.I like a few Excalibers,Kodabow and the vertical inline crossbow also.

I was looking and had the same question...decided to put it off a year since it's new to NY, gonna wait and see what people have to say after the they've had a chance to own and use them a bit.

Go out and shoot as many different brands as you can. The bows that look cool in magazines or on the internet may not be a bow that fits you. I went with Parker.There is a dealer within 20 minutes of me in case there is a problem with it.Their customer service has been great at answering any questions that have been brought up.

Hands down Excalibur for me. Solid nothing every goes wrong with them.

That was my reason for going with Excalibur. I already have my compound to have to keep tuned, I didn't want another. I also like that I can change my own strings and un-cock it instead of having to fire it off.

Simple is good

I went with Parker Thunderhawk. A bit lighter than the wicked ridge and felt more comfortable to me.  I carried my hunting buddies for a day or two then went and bought me one.  Wicked ridge may be a few dollars less, but it was not right for me. Excalibur looked and felt nice but had a heftier price tag than what I got.  Uncocking without shooting into a bag would be a bonus though. I do have the bag to practice on though so not a ton of extra work.

Mac, 

I am very happy with my carbon Express Intercept Supercoil.  I bought it from bass pro for about $700 after trade in of one of my old compounds.  I use it with 20"  carbon express bolts and for hunting I use the Dead Ringer Rampage 125 gr. expandables with a 2-inch cut.   

The bow fires bolt at 360 fps which I felt was a great velocity.  I thought about some 400 fps X-bows but felt that something would be compromised by pushing the speed envelope that hard (durability, service life, dependability etc., ) .

The anti dry-fire feature works great!  Don't ask how I know!

Axle-to-axle when cocked is only 13 inches. Draw weight 175#.

I felt the 4Xscope that the package came with was too high a power for the close in work of an X-bow so I changed it out for a Hawke 1x 32 which is a fantastic optic for a little over $100.

I hunted with it for the first time this past Monday and shot a 150# 8 pt. that went only 35 or 40 yards. 

Also picked up a Carbon Express release bolt for  $11.   Its a very heavy duty special blunt head bolt for safely unloading your crossbow.  Works great.

Carbon express also has years of experience in carbon filament winding arrows and they are experts in carbon composites.  I am very happy with their bow.  I can't say enough good things about it. 

Edited by adkbuck

Well I am going to go to the PA sportshow and shoot any that I can get my hands on.The only one that wont be there is the vertical inline crossbow but right after the show I will order that because they have a 5 day return policy.Anyone want to get together for a shoot off at my local game club mid February for that?

• 3 weeks later...

If you want the best... compare the limb draw weight to speed, can you change strings/cables and keep it in tune at home, the best trigger on the market, quiet and simply the best crossbow in the world, period! That would be the Scorpyd crossbows and they have draw weights and cocking devices to meet every hunters needs. I am working on a review of the new Stryker, it comes in second place. Stryker has new limb technology and a redesigned cam that reduces limb deflection and increases speed! Stryker has a great trigger too but keeping in tune and changing your strings... overall the Scorpyd crossbows have the edge and the new Orion (built on the Ventilator platform) are available with Acudraw.

Edited by TheFieldArcher