Had anyone ever done this!

Chef

So I have a climber but the deer are all staying by the apples we have here there are a bunch of pines over there that I can't use the climber with! What if I get a ladder and hang the bottom, have gf put the ladder away once I'm in the stand have her get me when I'm ready to leave

Edited by chefhunter86

Guess thats a good way to figure out if she really likes you...

I personally would go buy a cheap hanger and set of sticks and hang it yourself. Little extra money but alot less hastle. Plus then you can hunt even when she's not around.

Lol my wife would leave my azz there!

I say go for it I wanna see if you can convince her to haul ladder in and out! Lol

Bring you cell case you need to call for help!

Or other option screw in some steps strap in pull up base put on and there you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fletch

Oh yea......a climber bottom is NOT supposed to be used like a hang on.  It could be very dangerous getting on and off as you are always supposed to have weight on the base for security.

The base doesn't have provisions for sitting either and that could get dangerous also.

Go buy an inexpensive hang on and then use the ladder.

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

Check Craigslist out for a second hand hang on.

Edited by Lawdwaz

I had a portable ladder stand when I first started hunting. The thing worked great, i could get in Any tree. The only downside was the height, only about 12-15 ft up. It was set up as a backpack style carrier and was aluminum. I still have it, but would only recommend it to youth or hunters that don't weigh too much. I think it was made by Loc-on? I wish someone would make one that is aluminum and a little more sturdy, I'd buy it in a minute.

Oh yea......a climber bottom is NOT supposed to be used like a hang on.  It could be very dangerous getting on and off as you are always supposed to have weight on the base for security.

The base doesn't have provisions for sitting either and that could get dangerous also.

Go buy an inexpensive hang on and then use the ladder.

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

Check Craigslist out for a second hand hang on.

Agree , putting wt. on the side of a climber bottom will make it twist & unsafe, go with the cheap hang on & stick ladder. Be safe!

For me, apple orchards tend to be well suited to using a ground blind.  I've hunted them with an ameristep 2-man or just camo burlap and a couple stakes and clips on branches.  As long as you don't set it right on their main trails, tends to work well.  Have had groups of doe within 10 yds of me with no issues, even had a small spike looking in a window ( at least it seemed like he did) without spooking.  Just have to really watch scent control.  I set up between trees in the row, if there's tall grass between trees, or under a tree if its a well maintained orchard.

Is definitely a better option than using a climber base as a lock on, as explained several times above.

I've climbed pines before, cut limbs on my way up, and actually used the cuttings to hang off the side of the stand for better outline break up.  Of course if their not your trees, probably want to avoid that...

I assume you can't use the climber in the pines because the pines have too many limbs to climb straight up. Yes.. you can just use the bottom as a platform & use a ladder, steps or the tree limbs to get up to it. Not a bad idea...

I've used climbers as a hang on, just make sure you secure it with a ratchet strap or two......unless it's a bright shiny aluminum ladder I'd leave it.....maybe wash it with water and baking soda and hose it down real good before bringing it in.....the less people and activity around the area the better.

Anyone remember the good ol days when you could stand in a pine tree on just a limb for hours and not think twice about it ,all in the name of getting a shot.

Lol yup!

I was standing in the crotch of a tree one morn and had nice doe come by! Shot and almost blew myself right outa the tree lol. Got her though it may have started my grey hairs!

I kinda like safe now, see ma I do have a learning curve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a climber base as a lock on stand. a ratchet at the bottom around the tree is no different than any hang on. climbing sticks or ONE PIECE screw in steps would be a good option for getting in and out. I also used the seat/climbing aide section but before leaving the stand I would put it above head height so I wasn't trying to climb over and into the stand. once on the platform I lowered it and sat down. . Harness...harness...harness.