Posted /no trespassing signs pulled down

Slickbowht

Just talked to delivery guy his first time out was this weekend ...goes in no stand....then he is in a ground brush blind has a few big doe coming right into him he draws and they then tear out past him full board..knows hes not seen nor winded....hears something and a pack of  5 yotes come trotting in...three times he said they were Angels size or bigger and two including the one he shot dwarfed her...she's a 55# female shepherd...he was at eye level with them...nice guy too theives suck...

I pre drill my signs,that way it's easier to insert nail hold over head and nail it on tree up high.

I also bring along one climbing stick,they can't tear down what is not an easy reach.

Wed. We move a ladder stand into a spot they like to cross over,we ll take turns sitting there and now with rifle it's not a bad spot.

Also got a few flags ready to hoist . I take orange vests staple them to,wood hangers put weight ( rocks in pockets) use 550 cord to raise them up in spots where they can be seen from way off.

Walk to stand raise one up , move them a bit from time to time.

We ve already had one guy arrested this bow season ,that seems to work,well too.....

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

I also hunt 3m and they've torn down poster signs, stole stands, and dumped trash on the property.  I like the ladder idea and the use of screws.  Will try that next time.  We've got statees and DEC watching our area on their patrols, so hopefully, that might help.  Just another reason to go in with a flashlight, wear orange, and protect yourself cause you don't know who's on the property. 

Maybe add reward signs for tips that lead to conviction of trespassers?

Too bad the old foot-traps for bear are illegal.  Then could have put up a convincing sign warning of bear traps - they might have kept some people out.

There are a lot of @$$hol3$ who think they have to right to do anything they want on anyone's land with anyone's stuff when they see fit.  God forbid you touch something of theirs though.

I have solar lights missing from the front lawn, missing driveway markers, and a pulled-out stave for a small tree.  And this in right in town.  Even had my daughter's scooter missing for a few days down the block.  One of the neighbor's cousins borrowed it from the yard.  Apparently this not a new thing for those cousins to do.

Kids that don't respect other people's property, may be the beginning into these trespassers hunting other people's property.

They have to be taught properly from a young age.

I had them taken down and gone last year, they had to clime over a stone wall to get to them (trespassing ).

One neighbor said maby the blew off the trees, I said I have the same signs that are still on trees for 5 tears or more put up the same way. That makes me think he knows who did it.

Too bad the old foot-traps for bear are illegal.  Then could have put up a convincing sign warning of bear traps - they might have kept some people out.

But is there any reason not to put up signs that state "beware of bear traps."?  That might make some folks think twice. Will certainly drive them nuts looking for traps which don't exist. 

You could also put up signs "smile - you are on camera." Whether or not you actually have cameras, this can be a deterrent. Again, it might also drive them crazy searching for trail camera that don't exist.

Then again, a well concealed trail camera (no sign or warning) might be a better idea. Catch them in the act and report them. Getting hit with a fine and/or being charged with a crime might be enough to teach them a lesson.

Trespassing is bad enough. Destruction of property (even if it is "just" a sign) brings it to a whole different level. I simply can't wrap my mind around why people do these things.

Edited by jrm
  • Like 1

I had a woman come and pick apples off my tree last year while I was doing some clean up work in early October.

When I approached her, and said this was private property she said she only needed a few for her apple pie and these were the best looking apples she's ever seen, I told her that she had some nerve, and would she appreciate if I did the same on her property ? 

She gave me a dumb a$$ look, got in her car and drove off. 

• Like 1

Just an fyi. Your property could still be legally posted if someone stole/removed the posted signs. As long as you can show/document that you legally posted the property within the past year. Signs within 660' apart, name address etc on signs.... We keep a log book every year of the date we go around and freshen up faded signs, replace signs, backings, and posts that need it, and clear brush so they are visible from a distance. And we still have to chase some cidiot off from time to time.

Like the "orange flag" idea!