Archery/Gun Crossover Question

BizCT

As a first timer hunting NY early archery season, I have a hypothetical question/scenario:

I am taking off work on Friday to hunt with the Xbow and I shoot a deer late afternoon and decide to wait until Saturday morning to track it.

On Saturday morning, can I carry my shotgun (opening day of gun season) while tracking the archery buck from Friday? Also, what day gets put on the tag of the dead buck (Fri the day it was shot, or Sat the day it was found - but Sat date is outside of the early archery season)?

Are these answers anywhere on the DEC website?

Thanks all.

My assumption is that since the DEC gives you a window of few days to report your deer, you should be putting the day you shot the animal and it should go on your archery tag since that is the weapon you harvested the animal with. The carrying a shotgun question is a loaded questions, as my assumption is you shouldn't have a problem, but those who enforce laws like to bend them to what suits them the best. I would give a call to the DEC for this one just to be on the safe side and take down the information of whomever you speak to along with the date and time. This way your are covering yourself.

• Like 1

I had this happen a number of years ago. Took the shotgun when I went to search for the deer I had arrowed the evening before because I had a doe tag for the area and it was opening day of gun season. I tagged it with my regular season tag because even though the shot was taken during early archery, the deer was 'taken' (confirmation of the kill and the recovery) during the regular season.

I just thought of another odd scenario that is possible.

on the last possible day of the late archery/ml season you shoot one just before dark so you go out the next day which is no longer hunting season. are you allowed to carry a weapon? if not, what happens if you walk up on a deer that can't get up- you can't finish it off with a weapon? What about knife or noose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would call the DEC. what ever we say is what I call a wag. We don't enforce or interpret the law and none of us is going to get the ticket or fine. Your  tag  on the back when fill out the month and day of the kill is the day you recover it I would think you need a gun tag. If the rack brakes off if you have one or both sides you can put it on a buck tag. But here again I would call DEC.

what if you bring out a deer that has obviously been dead for a day and have it tagged for a day later? myself?, I don't start hunting another deer until the one I shot previously is recovered. I would go back looking for it with the weapon I shot it with and tag it for the day I shot and it obviously died.........I would think you would have problems if you brought out a stiff deer tagged for that day and it's obvious it died a day earlier and with a different weapon....

Edited by jjb4900

To be serious about it, these scenarios are in the boundary area of ethics and law. If your intent is to do what you feel is the right thing as far as the lawful recovery and tagging of game you likely won't get into trouble no matter what you do. If your intent, however, is to "work the system" in order to gain some advantage for yourself you should be in politics. Lots of room there for people with a keen sense of situational ethics.

Some interesting questions. I'd call the dec. I have 2 officers numbers in my phone and cards in my wallet,they've been nothing but helpful .

Couple years back I shot a doe in bow started to fill out tag when I realized I was filling out my either sex tag! Opps can use it but that means I burn my buck tag on a doe.

Called dec. He said since I called and he knows me, he told me what to do to save that either sex tag( which I never filled that year anyways).

Another time tag blew off buck in bed of pic kip,again quick call dec officer told me to just make a "new " one out of paper with all info and his name on it as well.

If you call PRIOR to any problem they'll help you out.

• Like 1