severed head

vig77

Seems odd to gut if you just want horns. Maybe this noob was trying to quarter it in the field and didn't really know what he was doing or possibly just wanted the tenderloins and the horns? But I've rarely seen someone not just cap the head and try to cut them off separately? Still seems like maybe trying not to tag. But leaving stuff behind makes me think maybe his wife went into labor or something lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most likely a poacher who thought he was about to be busted and made a hasty retreat. It might have even been you who startled him. He was probably watching you the whole time waiting for you to leave so he could finish the job.

$15 a pound? So that means they would have to turn around and sell it for $18-$20 a pound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know if the poacher with the orange vest thing adds up, but then again, who knows.

Other than the antlers being half hacked off, it sounds like someone cut themselves while gutting or something along those lines, then maybe some other guy came along and found the carcass and tried to steal the antlers or head off of it.

• Like 1

Well, this still doesn't make sense.

Ya gotta love all the "free unlimited pop-emails" then come with paying for a web site. 

Makes it easy to be stupid.

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 4

I think an earlier post/reply was on the right track.  I think the guy shot the buck, without having a buck tag, and then figured he'd cut the antlers off so he could put his DMP on it, thinking he could make it look like the buck had already shed his antlers.  But then realized his handiwork didn't look too natural, so then proceeded to hack off the head.

Why he left his stuff behind?  He wasn't thinking too clearly, or he was interrupted and wanted to leave the area quickly.

I can just picture the guy trying to explain to a DEC officer why he had a tagged, headless deer carcass in his possession.

LiveToHunt

Have you been back to see if he returned for the deer?  I cant see someone going through all that and then just leave there stuff and never to return.  Makes me think maybe he stumbled upon someone elses kill and was trying like heck to take the antlers and either got spooked, hurt or went back to the vehicle to get better equipment.

Edited by wdswtr

and on a nearby tree, scrawled in blood were the words "if it's brown it's down"...........and legend has it, that on a clear, cold night, you can hear a "man child" crying softly.....eerie but true.

Okay, sorry for the useless comment on my part, but I just laughed way too hard at this.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1