Caught you and you!

chiefbkt

So I was sitting in my double stand on the the edge of the wheat field and my buddy was sitting about 600 yards away in a stand that overlooks my food plot and corn field.  He sends me a text about 8:40 and says "hey can you see that guy?" I respond with "no."  He then says "There is a guy walking down the edge of your cornfield and is headed into your woods."  At this point I put on my orange, unload my gun, and climb down to confront this guy since he is only about 200 yards away from me.  I made my way towards this rather stout guy who was in full blaze orange.  He saw me coming and initially tried to hind behind a tree...dumba$$, you're in blaze orange, good try though.  So he notices that I see him and I am on a b-line for him and takes off on a dead run through my open hardwoods.  Needless to say I am in my early 30's and in pretty good shape.  I quickly unbuckle my backpack, lean my gun against a tree and sprint after him.  He notices me chasing after him, drops his gun (a Remington 870 wingmaster filled to the gills with Remington sluggers, by no means a deer gun), collapses onto a downed tree, and puts his hands up.   I stopped about 10 yards from him and asked him why he was running?  His response, "cause you were chasing me"...seriously man?  I laughed and said I was chasing you cause you were running from me, on my Posted property.  He says "yeah, I guess that's true."  I asked him what he was doing trespassing and what made him think he wouldn't get caught.  He fed me a bunch of BS and it basically came down to the fact that he and his friend had seen a nice buck in the cut corn field a few days ago and thought it was their friends property that said they could hunt there.  So I took his name, number (called in the woods to verify), address, and followed him to his truck (where his friend was waiting) wrote down his license plate number and make/model of vehicle.  I told him if I ever caught him again I would be pressing charges.  Now this guy and his partner were from Lyons, in their late 40's to early 50's, and clearly thought they would get away with this. I am hoping I scared them enough that they won't return, ever.  

So after trouncing through the woods after this guy I figured I would go pick up my cameras.  I gathered them up and was happy to see this young buck made it through the gun season.  I think he is 1 or 2 year old.  In the second picture I think he was watching me chase the guy through the woods since we were only about 100 yards away from him at that point.  I am not sure this is the buck they saw in the field, but it could be.  

post-1506-0-97051800-1417991363_thumb.jppost-1506-0-72535500-1417991423_thumb.jppost-1506-0-64521200-1417991482_thumb.jppost-1506-0-42503100-1417991498_thumb.jppost-1506-0-14895000-1417991513_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Gotta love the logic of poachers.  Last year we caught a local riding through one of our posted stands.  Turns out the guy is a local processor.  When he saw us he took off. He ditched his quad near a blowdown and hauled a$$ down the road home in his truck.  Guy had more stories than a convict on death row.  It We met him at his house and basically told him if we catch him again in there it will get worse, a lot worse.  We reminded him a bunch of times that we're all cops in that camp and we're not going to give him a second chance.  Here's the kicker, we come to learn that he and his son were caught doing the same thing in another camp this year.  They had a six on the ground with a crossbow.  Zero tolerance from here on out.  

• Like 1

There is something scary about someone who would panic to that level of running over something like trespass. If the guy is that spooked, who the heck knows exactly what kinds of crazy things he might do when he feels cornered. This guy was so crazy that he even dropped his gun. That is a pretty big sign of extreme desperation. Maybe in another similar scenario, one of these goofs might decide to use that gun. You never know what kind of mentality you can run into out there.

• Like 2

There is something scary about someone who would panic to that level of running over something like trespass. If the guy is that spooked, who the heck knows exactly what kinds of crazy things he might do when he feels cornered. This guy was so crazy that he even dropped his gun. That is a pretty big sign of extreme desperation. Maybe in another similar scenario, one of these goofs might decide to use that gun. You never know what kind of mentality you can run into out there.

You're totally right Doc, it could have ended up much worse. That was part of my reasoning for leaving my gun. I thought If he saw I had no gun he wouldn't feel obligated to turn his on me. But like you said, for some of the crazies it may not have mattered. By no means am I physically intimidating person at 5'10" and 165 lbs, but you'd have thought I was 6' 4" 250 from this guys demeanor while I was confronting him.