Luck or Skill

the blur

Would you consider your hunting luck or skill?

I consider mine luck, and I have had BAD luck this season.

I tried the bottled scents. 

I tried the incense.

I tried the aresol cans called buck bombs & acorn bombs.

I tried calling.  E-calls, and mouth calls, and the flip over can type calls.

Someone said sitting in a stand is "waiting", not "hunting".

I live in the city, so I can't go out and scout pre-season.

Can't do trail cams, and I hunt state land.

I've been out 4 days already.  No luck at all.

Do you consider your hunting luck or skill ?

& you have to explain it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem people have is that they base luck/skill off of the actual hunting.

If the season is poor, most yahoos say/believe it was bad luck. If the season was good, most say/believe it was skill.

Unfortunately, the rude truth is that it's a little of both, but much more reliant upon skill.

Bad season? Why? Certainly outside influences such as pressure, trespassing, thefts, etc. can be a blow. Time to acknowledge that and figure out a solution as best as possible. Accepting is being resigned to your luck...

People should always be a student of the game. Why are deer not being seen? Why am I seeing less deer than last week/last month/last season?

It could be any number of things within your control, and if that's the case, that's a skill issue. Entering wrong? Exiting wrong? Did a tree fall on a path and direct deer differently? Are crops rotated?

I could go on and on....but my experience has always led me to believe that people blame bad things on luck, and good things on skill.

I'm no exception to the rule, either. I find myself doing that while on stand...and normally I try to kick myself out of the funk. The renewed vision usually results in a new-found discovery of some sort that helps turn the table.

A little of both....can't have one without the other. :-\

I've been fortunate, or unfortunate, depending on how you prioritize things, to be unemployed for quite some time now. Most every day over this long spell have been in the deer woods gleaning all the information I can. From shed hunting, pre and post-season scouting, summer time photographing, running trail cams, glassing fields, time spent shooting and honing shooting skills, understanding how deer use terrain.....just being around deer every chance I get no matter what the weather may dictate as sane behaivior.

Without a doubt the better you can understand the wiley whitetail in its environment the better your luck will be. On the flip side, all the skill in the world is no trade-off for a little bit of luck from time to time. :(

i believe its more luck then skill but skill puts you in the right place most of the time and the luck of the deer coming by plays that part. i dont think its mostly skill, all your skills goes out the window when the rut comes and theres no rhyme or reason on deer pattern ( in most cases) but i think luck comes into hand at that point. just my 2 cents. some may disagree...

More luck but the skill can be anything from picking out natural funnels to identifying food sources.

Skip the scents and bombs, waist of money imo. In this case try to figgure out where the other hunters if any are, and then try a day run. Find a funnel, set up between 9am - 3pm. Try hunting when and where the deer have patterned the early birds.

i believe its more luck then skill but skill puts you in the right place most of the time and the luck of the deer coming by plays that part. i dont think its mostly skill, all your skills goes out the window when the rut comes and theres no rhyme or reason on deer pattern ( in most cases) but i think luck comes into hand at that point. just my 2 cents. some may disagree...

I think there is plenty of skill necessary to take bucks during the rut, especially mature bucks. While they may have changed focus from food to breeding, there are still unique challenges that must be overcome to be successful.

Luck certainly plays a role in any hunt, but the more skill I develop, the luckier I seem to get. Odd.

There are certainly times where I shake my head at such good luck, but when I think about it, almost all of my luck was brought on by my preparation that gave me the opportunity to begin with. On the flip side, when I make a mistake, I need to think about the hole in my game plan that caused it.

You did not mention mistakes which I guess is kind of the opposite of skill. I mention it because i make plenty.

I guess it's about what is important to you. As a hunter you get to measure success for yourself. You could be happy to simply be in the woods

and enjoy ma nature, or you could be happy just seeing a few deer, others want meat, and still others want a trophy. In any case if you get to set your own goals. I feel lucky enough to be able to have the opportunity to hunt.

As far as skill is concerned it takes many years and a ton of mistakes to start to understand deer. And similar to women if you can actaully figure it all out write a book cause you will be rich. However, I take stand placement seriously and consider all the factors, wind, travel routes, time of year, food, pressure, etc. if I take my climber to a tree I have never been in and I used my skills to place that stand and I harvest a deer it's not luck to me because I used years of education to put myself in that spot.

You did not mention mistakes which I guess is kind of the opposite of skill. I mention it because i make plenty.

I guess it's about what is important to you. As a hunter you get to measure success for yourself. You could be happy to simply be in the woods

and enjoy ma nature, or you could be happy just seeing a few deer, others want meat, and still others want a trophy. In any case if you get to set your own goals. I feel lucky enough to be able to have the opportunity to hunt.

As far as skill is concerned it takes many years and a ton of mistakes to start to understand deer. And similar to women if you can actaully figure it all out write a book cause you will be rich. However, I take stand placement seriously and consider all the factors, wind, travel routes, time of year, food, pressure, etc. if I take my climber to a tree I have never been in and I used my skills to place that stand and I harvest a deer it's not luck to me because I used years of education to put myself in that spot.

Well said.

i'll say skill - but skill from experience - when i first started hunting if i got a deer it was luck or from the knowledge/experience of the people teaching me what to do. Over the years i've stored all that experience into what's left of my brains cells and tried to use it to my advantage.

Every time I go into the woods i seem to learn something even if it's a little thing - if you keep your eyes and mind open your skills will increase

I think there is plenty of skill necessary to take bucks during the rut, especially mature bucks. While they may have changed focus from food to breeding, there are still unique challenges that must be overcome to be successful.

Luck certainly plays a role in any hunt, but the more skill I develop, the luckier I seem to get. Odd.

There are certainly times where I shake my head at such good luck, but when I think about it, almost all of my luck was brought on by my preparation that gave me the opportunity to begin with. On the flip side, when I make a mistake, I need to think about the hole in my game plan that caused it.

dont get me wrong but as you evolve as a hunter some of the "skill" you have claimed becomes common sense rather then actual skill... i agree with the more skill you get the more luckier you do but if it was the other way around does that mean your loosing your skill???

if you happen to make less kills and have a 2-3 year period of no success does that mean you are loosing that skill? id say no and chalking it up to luck, wouldnt you?

I guess it is how you look at it. I feel lucky I m able to get out and hunt.  I also feel lucky that I have the friends I have accumulated over the years.  getting a deer, turkey, pheasant to me is a bonus. I am lucky I have a camp to go to to keep my sanity. If you base the success of your hunt on getting game, you are missing the point of hunting.  As far as getting game, I feel it is a combination of both luck and skill.  I put inmy time to scout. I plant food plots. I learn the patterns of the deer.  I also study and place my stands so the wind is in my favor when I am in a stand.  I really think if yo uput in your time and do the work, your can somewhat make your own luck.   

dont get me wrong but as you evolve as a hunter some of the "skill" you have claimed becomes common sense rather then actual skill... i agree with the more skill you get the more luckier you do but if it was the other way around does that mean your loosing your skill???

if you happen to make less kills and have a 2-3 year period of no success does that mean you are loosing that skill? id say no and chalking it up to luck, wouldnt you?

No, I wouldn't chalk a 2-3 year dry spell on luck. I'm doing something wrong at that point, or there are external factors that I need to address (land access, trespassing, deer pattern changes, gun/bow issues, etc.).

Again, alot of it depends on what you call success, and therein lies the debate. But, a 2-3 year dry spell to me signals something wrong. One year, maybe....but I better have:

A. Missed a shot

B. Had fewer than normal days a field

C. Thoroughly scouted out why I'm having this issue, and come to no conclusion.

I agree that luck is certianly part of the equation, sometimes it'll make you shake your head in disbelief for bad or good. But, luck is not the cause for most hunters being unsuccessful...its the hunter. There's something they could be doing better or differently. I hate to say it, but luck is a crutch, and it's usually not accurate to do so.

Skill and common sense are sometimes one in the same. Just because you learn it and take action does not mean it's becomes any less important. Finding a funnel or inside corner may be common sense, but it still takes skill to make it work consistently.

I guess it is how you look at it. I feel lucky I m able to get out and hunt.  I also feel lucky that I have the friends I have accumulated over the years.  getting a deer, turkey, pheasant to me is a bonus. I am lucky I have a camp to go to to keep my sanity. If you base the success of your hunt on getting game, you are missing the point of hunting.  As far as getting game, I feel it is a combination of both luck and skill.  I put inmy time to scout. I plant food plots. I learn the patterns of the deer.  I also study and place my stands so the wind is in my favor when I am in a stand.  I really think if yo uput in your time and do the work, your can somewhat make your own luck. 

A+++

Unlike my uncle who could probably shoot a deer in a Mc.Donalds parking lot .Or my son who is in the woods for his first 3 hrs and shoots a nice 8pt.Or my sons freind who shot a 10 pt first hour ever hunting,even with a bow he only shot once.I don't have the "buck luck".I have gone years before i had a chance at a buck.I have honed in on my skill and really thought of what i was doing wrong.Cause just climibing a nice tree and waiting didn't work for me.These past two years i have seen lots more deer and passed on quite a few bucks.But lets face it.I know that big guy will be coming down this trail sooner or later, but is it going be my lucky day or not.Know what i mean.Still have to be in the right place at the right time.The rest is skill.I would say.70/30.70% skill and 30% luck.

It is both. Luck favors those who are prepared. There is no substitute for being prepared, scouting knowing your deer movements, and intimately knowing the area you hunt. For a city dweller it is a little more difficult but you have to put in your time, either pre-season or in-season scouting. After gun season opens... most people are very uncomfortable venturing far from the road. Get USGS Topo Map, a good compass and or GPS and find out what is beyond the extra mile away from the road, when the regular season opens up, this is where the deer will be. FORGET SCENTS... I will debate anyone, they are a waste of money! (ANY Mammal urine is an attractant). Stay as scent free as possible, and yes "DON'T forget about the wind, keep the wind in your teeth! And luck will come.

No, I wouldn't chalk a 2-3 year dry spell on luck. I'm doing something wrong at that point, or there are external factors that I need to address (land access, trespassing, deer pattern changes, gun/bow issues, etc.).

Again, alot of it depends on what you call success, and therein lies the debate. But, a 2-3 year dry spell to me signals something wrong. One year, maybe....but I better have:

A. Missed a shot

B. Had fewer than normal days a field

C. Thoroughly scouted out why I'm having this issue, and come to no conclusion.

I agree that luck is certianly part of the equation, sometimes it'll make you shake your head in disbelief for bad or good. But, luck is not the cause for most hunters being unsuccessful...its the hunter. There's something they could be doing better or differently. I hate to say it, but luck is a crutch, and it's usually not accurate to do so.

Skill and common sense are sometimes one in the same. Just because you learn it and take action does not mean it's becomes any less important. Finding a funnel or inside corner may be common sense, but it still takes skill to make it work consistently.

im not talking about any hunter in general, im talking about you.

assuming you do your normal regiment, scouting,decenting the whole 9. And then had we'll say a back to  back year where you came up not filling a tag and assuming you put in your time and so on.

can your skill change the wheather conditions? can you make it stop raining when it turns out to be a wet season? perhaps wind? skill doesnt have much bearing on that... my point is you as a hunter can do ALL, YOU can do to make your BEST effort on putting yourself on deer i agree a 100% but you have no 100% control over the guys sneaking on your land spreading there scent around or if you hunt public land perhaps another hunter walking past your stand. however when by luck wheather conditions happen to be perfect, or you are the only one hunting that particular parcel that day and no one is there to ruin your hunt, or you get in the woods on a weekend and not one person entered those woods all week and you JUST happen to connect on a nice buck. well that my freind is considered luck no matter how you slice it. conditions were perfect and it was your day sir. there are so many variables that can come into effect and ruin ones hunt but you are right your skill will take you to the point of ironing out that stand you beleive to be the one that will produce but unfortunatly THERE ARE NO GUARENTEES in deer hunting. you can have the best skills among all but there are many variables that are out of your hands and ours for that matter.

Alls im saying is your skill will only go so far before you happen to be a lucky man sitting over one of your proudest deer and hunting moments ever endured. But to say your skills drives your hunts to me would make me beleive you are a VERY successful deer hunter who usually comes out on top.

alittle luck never hurt anyone and even the "PROS" guys who get paid to hunt get lucky. its not a bad thing to admit, It DOES NOT make a guy less of a hunter. I happen to think my skills are pretty darn good However, i can only try to hold deer on my proprty or pick that stand i think will be a money spot, i can only add all my pcs of the pie together over years of experience like you stated but if that deer doesnt happen to ever come by your stand while your there, well id hope for my luck to change alittle and get back in the sattle.

Practice, Patients, and Persistence.

There are many times it comes down to being at the right place and the right time.

As a hunter, you need to be patient, and persistent. 

There are a lot of factors when hunting that you simply cannot control.  Weather, hunting pressure etc.

You also need to know the area you are hunting.  You mention using calls and multiple scents.  I shy away from this.  Calls especially since where I hunt the buck to doe ratio is more like 1:10.  Why would bucks be fighting over 1 doe when there are 9 others waiting close by.

If you are doing all the right things, ie: getting to your stand quiet, taking into account the wind, masking your scent, things will fall into place.  It is not easy, but you must be patient and persistent.

Sometimes you need some luck.  I would not say skill so much as experience.  I am ten times a better hunter than when I started.  You learn how the deer react, what you can and can't do, how to be quiet, shots to take and not to take.