No Fracking in NYS

Curmudgeon

this doesn't surprise me at all. not sure at this point it really makes that great of an impact because the biggest part of the boom has slowed down because of market saturation.

far more of the econut's claims are greatly exaggerated and even completely false.  my honest feeling on most of the bs associated with this is that most of those opposed to it wouldn't be eligible for ogmr's ( oil,gas mineral rights)  so they wouldn't make money on it and they don't want others too either, and some people just are not happy unless they can cause other people issues.  there are local people here that have the no fracking signs in their yards some I have asked about the signs and if they knew what fracking was and what all the hoopla was about and most of them said they didn't know and someone they knew gave them the signs.  all I said was do some real research on the subject and make your own informed decision to support it or not.

these gas companies are heavily regulated and are for the most part closely monitored by both state and federal agencies.

as far as the fracking operations go those are even more closely monitored.

the gas company does water testing routinely, and prior to and following any testing they do. 

the well roads in pa have to meet pa dot standards, most of the well roads are in better shape than the state roads!

the well sites are taken care of and are not that unsightly.

the miles of gas line right of ways give wildlife another place to forage for food, all of ours are planted with food plot mix and are a great attractor for turkeys in the summer and fall when the grasshoppers are out in full force.

all of the well roads have gates on them at the gas companies expense if the landowner chooses which most do to try and keep the 4 wheelers out.

I do know for a fact that our local gas boom down home has saved numerous family homesteads from bankruptcy or having to be sold off.  some people even got a nice retirement nest egg from it. I do know that its put a lot of money into the local economy something thats been missing for quite some time.

over the years I have heard of very few problems, i am not new to the oil and gas business since my great grandfather and grandfather had oil/gas wells that we still have and are still producing. even as independent oil/gas producers we are heavily regulated and inspected by state agencies.  sometimes they are a PITA but I can understand they have jobs to do and some people are always cutting corners. we run a pretty tight ship and keep our sights clean, neat and well kept so our inspections are typically just looking over our records, looking at our well sites and its a looks good and have a nice day visit.

as always your mileage may vary.

you make exaggerated comment about econuts making false statements.

please elaborate about this comment.

did they exaggerate about gas companies screwing landowners out of royalties?

did they exaggerte about gas companies not revealing chemicals in their fracking.

or screwing landowners on lease fees

or their co2 emission

or the lie about energy independence ,freeing us of foreign oil and gas And selling our gas over seas for a profit.

i live up state and have a sign on my garage and know probably more than you.

Maybe the majority of New Yorker don't want fracking and in a democracy majority rules.

Democracy is three wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

We live in a Republic, not a democracy. "Majority Rules" is not always the case, and many times for good reason.

• Like 3

you make exaggerated comment about econuts making false statements.

please elaborate about this comment.

did they exaggerate about gas companies screwing landowners out of royalties?

did they exaggerte about gas companies not revealing chemicals in their fracking.

or screwing landowners on lease fees

or their co2 emission

or the lie about energy independence ,freeing us of foreign oil and gas And selling our gas over seas for a profit.

i live up state and have a sign on my garage and know probably more than you.

i have neither the time nor energy to type in all bs from those people but its out there for anyone to see all over the web and the misleading signs at protests. many of the claims have been proven false, one that comes to mind is the "our water now burns" statement.

- screwing landowners out of royalties?  not saying it couldn't happen BUT many times its a misunderstanding of the process or readings on the landowners part. or are you talking about joe gets 5% on his royalties and pete down the road gets 12%?  royalties are negotiated at the time of the lease agreement. or maybe you mean people bought land but didn't get the mineral rights ( which do not have to be sold along with the property)

-not revealing the fracking solution? ummm nope its on our paperwork that we got from the gas company, also how its hauled, used, containment, and disposed of.

- lease fees? again lack of landowners homework probably leads to the companies getting leases for less than the average going rate.  as I have have told many people when they are approached, go hire an attorney that specializes in the natural gas field before you sign anything. to me that is no different than hiring a realestate  attorney when buying property.

- co2 emissions? because people are burning more gas? or you think co2 is being emitted from the wells?

-  ummm nope they said nothing about energy independence, was never even mentioned,  but in our personal situation and in many around our area WE have become energy independent. we are no longer under the thumb of fuel oil or propane companies gouging us for their own personal piece of the profit pie.

that is another thing that can be negotiated into a lease contract, free gas supply at a negotiated amount.

- you may very well know more than I do about the gas industry since I don't know you from adam, all I am going on is being involved personally in the oil and gas industry for the last 40 years. 

Recently, I drove Newark NJ from Buffalo NY. On the way out, my rout kept me in NY most of the way. On the way back, I stayed in PA most of the way, where fracking is allowed. I was amazed at how much better the roads were in PA. Where did all that money come from? In PA, the thru-way "text-stops" had bathrooms with flush toilets. In NY, you had to go behind a bush. I don't think I even saw a pothole on the PA stretch. Good thing, because I think I wore out the shocks on my rental F-150 on the way out on the NY roads. No shocks were needed on them smooth PA roads. I also have to thank those PA folks and their fracking money for letting us keep our Football team in Buffalo NY. We be just poor folks here, and would have surely lost our team otherwise. Now it looks like we will be getting poorer, but money aint nothing but the source of all evil, so we are doing well.

Pennsylvania land of milk and honey.

SO does this mean as the land owners of NY can sure NYS, because we are not now allowed to extract the gas below or land.

that would be fun hector :rolleyes:   but it would likely be thrown out since in reality although our names on the deed we are still only renting the land from the state with minimal restrictions of what we can do on said land, and even local politics can regulate what we can do.

i have neither the time nor energy to type in all bs from those people but its out there for anyone to see all over the web and the misleading signs at protests. many of the claims have been proven false, one that comes to mind is the "our water now burns" statement.

- screwing landowners out of royalties?  not saying it couldn't happen BUT many times its a misunderstanding of the process or readings on the landowners part. or are you talking about joe gets 5% on his royalties and pete down the road gets 12%?  royalties are negotiated at the time of the lease agreement. or maybe you mean people bought land but didn't get the mineral rights ( which do not have to be sold along with the property)

-not revealing the fracking solution? ummm nope its on our paperwork that we got from the gas company, also how its hauled, used, containment, and disposed of.

- lease fees? again lack of landowners homework probably leads to the companies getting leases for less than the average going rate.  as I have have told many people when they are approached, go hire an attorney that specializes in the natural gas field before you sign anything. to me that is no different than hiring a realestate  attorney when buying property.

- co2 emissions? because people are burning more gas? or you think co2 is being emitted from the wells?

-  ummm nope they said nothing about energy independence, was never even mentioned,  but in our personal situation and in many around our area WE have become energy independent. we are no longer under the thumb of fuel oil or propane companies gouging us for their own personal piece of the profit pie.

that is another thing that can be negotiated into a lease contract, free gas supply at a negotiated amount.

- you may very well know more than I do about the gas industry since I don't know you from adam, all I am going on is being involved personally in the oil and gas industry for the last 40 years. 

I think we both have our opinions about fracking. But as of now they don't matter anymore the Gov. has banned it. IMHO for good reasons.

I have family in Pa. and it has always been an energy friendly state whether its coal, oil or Nat gas. But now they want to put restrictions on the gas companies , some places also want to ban fracking. Some people are sorry they ever leased their property.

Interesting. Can you say why?

Some people were low balled in their leases. Their land was contaminated with leaking backwash from fracking fluid.

Royalty payments drastically declined with no warning and very little explanation. Etc.

Personally I'd rather see us invest in green energy. I'm not anti-fracking, but by school I have a degree in environmental engineering and the things we've done to our planet before understanding them are jaw dropping. Even more so, the things we've done KNOWING they're bad is even more scary. There is nothing good about chemicals and altering the ecosystem we live in. Whether it's through drilling or burning or just releasing them into the atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, I own 2 V8's a V6 a motorcycle and a decent amount of lawn and garden tools that could be done by hand. But we need to push to get away from gas and oil.

• Like 1

Personally I'd rather see us invest in green energy. I'm not anti-fracking, but by school I have a degree in environmental engineering and the things we've done to our planet before understanding them are jaw dropping. Even more so, the things we've done KNOWING they're bad is even more scary. There is nothing good about chemicals and altering the ecosystem we live in. Whether it's through drilling or burning or just releasing them into the atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, I own 2 V8's a V6 a motorcycle and a decent amount of lawn and garden tools that could be done by hand. But we need to push to get away from gas and oil.

I agree we have devistated our environment in just 200 years. and the planet is billions of years old. How could we do so much damage in so little time. We can't even eat fish from our rivers and streams with out fear of getting sick. All for the sake of big business and money, and we get to clean up their mess.

• Like 1

Remember the "ozone layer"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do. In fact I worked at Honeywell in Buffalo for a number of years. The very company that partnered with DuPont to replace the CFC's with HCFC's and is now attempting to replace the high global warming HCFC's with HFC's. which cost more and don't work as well of course :)

a great success story really.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

Belo, so with green energy are you talking solar and electric cars? If so have you every looked in to RARE EARTH METALS. Even though they are called rare earths they are not rare, but look at what a rare earth mine looks like.Rare Earth metals are key to all kinds of green technology: Neodymium magnets turn wind turbines. Cerium helps reduce tailpipe emissions. Yttrium can form phosphors that make light in LED displays and compact fluorescent light bulbs. Hybrid and electric cars often contain as many as eight different rare earths. Just google pictures of rare earth mines. So how much is these green energy's really hurting the plant? This is the dark side of green energy.

The cheaper prices have nothing to do with fracking and everything to do with OPEC lowering it's prices to kill fracking and put the squeeze on Russia.

Really?????   LOL  Why is OPEC trying to kill fracking?????  LOL

Edited by Freytown