Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

Jeepers! We as a group must be bored . Now we are arguing over cooking venison properly and noticing the difference between a young deer and an older deer when eating it... I would think anyone who has eaten any amount of venison could usually tell the difference between a 5 1/2 year old dear steak and a 1 1/2 year old deer steak.....That being said,   I have never had bad venison.

Now lets get back to the subject at hand...     Ars and 1 buck rules suck!

no argument. just a discussion. So I'll counter you. I bet only 10% of this board has even had 4.5 year old buck meat, let along 5.5. You know how rare that is? No pun intended.

And I agree with NYAntler, if cooked right you cannot tell. But throw a fawn or yearling doe on the grill unmarinated next to a 3.5 or 4.5 rutted up buck and I just don't think you can argue there isn't a difference. I'm not saying the buck is bad, but that the young doe is better. I think it's less with the backstraps and more in the hind quater steaks and roasts. Even MeatEater has recipes for that "rutted up old buck". And he certainly knows his stuff.

The For the purposes of opposing ARs because a younger say 1.5 year old buck tastes better I'll respond.

the taste argument started when we started talking about bigger older bucks providing more meat. Which they absolutely do.

I just find the meat hunter argument flawed. The extra meat is a bonus. You didn't shoot that big old 200lb. buck because of all the meat. You shot him because he's a hell of a harvest and probably has some nice head gear. I'm sure some dishonest members here will disagree but I don't buy it. I believe in heavily populated areas you're better off with 2 doe than a big ole buck. Especially if you cut it up yourself.

no argument. just a discussion. So I'll counter you. I bet only 10% of this board has even had 4.5 year old buck meat, let along 5.5. You know how rare that is? No pun intended.

And I agree with NYAntler, if cooked right you cannot tell. But throw a fawn or yearling doe on the grill unmarinated next to a 3.5 or 4.5 rutted up buck and I just don't think you can argue there isn't a difference. I'm not saying the buck is bad, but that the young doe is better. I think it's less with the backstraps and more in the hind quater steaks and roasts. Even MeatEater has recipes for that "rutted up old buck". And he certainly knows his stuff.

I actually enjoy these discussions... I am firm in the belief that there is a noticeable difference between old deer meat and that of an old deer... NOT a bad difference, just a little tougher and maybe a little gamer? Depending on how it's cooked one couldn't tell the difference....

I hate to admit it but I have changed my tune on ARs due to some of these online discussions.. I like the results but can perfectly understand someone that doesn't want to wait for a larger rack...

Now if they passed statewide ARs I wouldn't be sad either....

• Like 2

Venison is very important to our family.  This past season, for the first time ever, I was able to do a real "apples to apples" comparison of 1/2, 1-1/2, 2-1/2, and 4-1/2+ buck venison.   The button was struck by a car at the end of our driveway and I finished it with a knife.  The 1-1/2 was my x-bow kill, the 2-1/2 was a "gift" from a friend during archery season, and the 4-1/2 + was my rifle kill.    All, except the button died on their feet from the shot, or within seconds from massive heart/lung damage.   The button probably lingered 5 minutes before I was able to end his suffering.    I personally consumed the tenderloins from each, 3-4 days after the kills, all cooked the same (rare the way I like them) in a frying pan on the stove in olive oil.  The button was about 50 lbs dressed, the 1-1/2 160 lb, the 2-1/2 200 lb, and the 4-1/2 + 225 lbs.  The 3 younger bucks were all killed in a southern, Ag region of the state and the stomachs were all filled with corn.  The old buck was taken in the NW Adirondacks and its stomach was loaded with white-oak acorns, mostly un-chewed due to well-worn teeth I suppose.

The results of the "taste test" of the tenderloins were:  1) The drawn-out "road-kill" fawn was best by a wide margin, pretty much about the most tender, best tasting tenderloins I ever had.   2) Very little if any noticeable difference between the 1-1/2 and the 2-1/2.  Due to the larger size I would definitely pass a 1-1/2 if I knew I would get a crack at a 2-1/2.  Most years lately, I get them "cracks", so antler restrictions wouldn't hurt me too bad. To me, as a full blooded "meat hunter", a 2-1/2 year old buck is as good as it gets when you combine quantity of meat and quality. 3) The tenderloins from the old buck were definitely a bit "chewier", but still tasted good.   Quantity of meat was only marginally more than the 2-1/2.  

The loss in meat "quality" with the old buck certainly had nothing to do with method of death, hanging temp, or cooking method as all 3 mature bucks were similar.   The diet is a bit of an unknown however, as there is no corn within many miles of where that old buck lived.   With a 3-point min per side AR, we would be eating the same as we are today (the 1-1/2 was a 6), but I would still vote against the AR's if I could.  I want my freedom to apply my own AR's depending on where we are in the seasons and with the freezer.   I have gone many seasons with no bucks and full freezers due to liberal doe tags.  This is the first I remember where we were full with no does.   I do prefer butchering bucks, due to less fat to trim on average, and the bucks taste just as good within each age class.                        

Edited by wolc123

Venison is very important to our family.  This past season, for the first time ever, I was able to do a real "apples to apples" comparison of 1/2, 1-1/2, 2-1/2, and 4-1/2+ buck venison.   The button was struck by a car at the end of our driveway and I finished it with a knife.  The 1-1/2 was my x-bow kill, the 2-1/2 was a "gift" from a friend during archery season, and the 4-1/2 + was my rifle kill.    All, except the button died on their feet from the shot, or within seconds from massive heart/lung damage.   The button probably lingered 5 minutes before I was able to end his suffering.    I personally consumed the tenderloins from each, 3-4 days after the kills, all cooked the same (rare the way I like them) in a frying pan on the stove in olive oil.  The button was about 50 lbs dressed, the 1-1/2 160 lb, the 2-1/2 200 lb, and the 4-1/2 + 225 lbs.  The 3 younger bucks were all killed in a southern, Ag region of the state and the stomachs were all filled with corn.  The old buck was taken in the NW Adirondacks and its stomach was loaded with white-oak acorns, mostly un-chewed due to well-worn teeth I suppose.

The results of the "taste test" of the tenderloins were:  1) The drawn-out "road-kill" fawn was best by a wide margin, pretty much about the most tender, best tasting tenderloins I ever had.   2) Very little if any noticeable difference between the 1-1/2 and the 2-1/2.  Due to the larger size I would definitely pass a 1-1/2 if I knew I would get a crack at a 2-1/2.  Most years lately, I get them "cracks", so antler restrictions wouldn't hurt me too bad. To me, as a full blooded "meat hunter", a 2-1/2 year old buck is as good as it gets when you combine quantity of meat and quality. 3) The tenderloins from the old buck were definitely a bit "chewier", but still tasted good.   Quantity of meat was only marginally more than the 2-1/2.  

The loss in meat "quality" with the old buck certainly had nothing to do with method of death, hanging temp, or cooking method as all 3 mature bucks were similar.   The diet is a bit of an unknown however, as there is no corn within many miles of where that old buck lived.   With a 3-point min per side AR, we would be eating the same as we are today (the 1-1/2 was a 6), but I would still vote against the AR's if I could.  I want my freedom to apply my own AR's depending on where we are in the seasons and with the freezer.   I have gone many seasons with no bucks and full freezers due to liberal doe tags.  This is the first I remember where we were full with no does.   I do prefer butchering bucks, due to less fat to trim on average, and the bucks taste just as good within each age class.                        

I just say a prayer before I cook the meat and "The Man Upstairs" makes it come out perfect......you only get good tasting venison if he wants it to happen.

• Like 1

I could get behind ARs in areas with little land access and overpopulation problems to try and force people to shoot more does. 8r would be a good wmu example. I think doe reductions there would benefit buck hunting by creating increased buck rut activity. But if deer herds did become healthier id like to know ARs could be disposed of in the future. ARs as trophy policies seen selfish if imposed statewide but localized areas using them to try and curb deer densities could be worth a try.

But other than as a deer density reduction tool for the DEC to experiment with I would be against them. I live in 8w and i am within walking distance of thousands of acres of state land. The yearling bucks are hammered. But only letting guys shoot the biggest yearling bucks doesnt seem like a great idea. Big bucks are still out there without ARs. If you pass little bucks be happy with the knowledge he made it another day but don't expect the world to revolve around your treestand.

• Like 1

Here is a reason not to support Ar...If only we had CWD!

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources received laboratory confirmation on January 16, 2015 that four additional white-tailed deer harvested in Maryland tested positive for chronic wasting disease (CWD), bringing the total number of overall positive cases to six. The deer, all male, were harvested in the CWD Management Area in Allegany County during the regular deer firearm season

Word has it that these were male positives also.   Have not confirmed  that yer!

TUESDAY, JANUARY 20, 2015
Iowa Two Wild Deer Test Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease in Allamakee County

Two Wild Deer Test Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease in Allamakee County

Posted: 01/20/2015 Two wild deer harvested during the recent hunting season have been confirmed positive for chronic wasting disease in Allamakee County.

The first case of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in a wild Iowa deer was confirmed in Allamakee County in 2014.

They need to shut down these states before they infect the whole country. Wild deer know no borders.

But other than as a deer density reduction tool for the DEC to experiment with I would be against them. I live in 8w and i am within walking distance of thousands of acres of state land. The yearling bucks are hammered. But only letting guys shoot the biggest yearling bucks doesnt seem like a great idea. Big bucks are still out there without ARs. If you pass little bucks be happy with the knowledge he made it another day but don't expect the world to revolve around your treestand.

I love this!

last night i had a deer biologist confirm to me that going to (1) buck WON'T work well enough to be biologically sound.  also i think that'd just aggravate hunters by eliminating opportunity regardless of what's in front of you.

Edited by dbHunterNY

i think the 7000 that were sent out are sent out.  if you haven't gotten it you probably won't.

I was just curious if anyone on here got one, I know two guys, neither serious deer hunters, so they asked me to help fill them out, obviously you can see the problem with that.........shows how flawed the system is when they only select a few out of all the hunters in NY.

I was just curious if anyone on here got one, I know two guys, neither serious deer hunters, so they asked me to help fill them out, obviously you can see the problem with that.........shows how flawed the system is when they only select a few out of all the hunters in NY.

out of everyone sitting at the table last night we knew of only one who got it.  if they distributed the surveys broad enough and at random, then 7000 is enough.  talking with some who has experience with similar surveys, they said the results at that point won't change much at all if they up it to say 70,000.  we'll see how things pan out.

Not understanding this?

talking with the hunting community I'm around most were against 1 buck limit. 

many said the same thing that 1 buck would kill their season short by eliminating any opportunity to take more than 1 buck. they didn't seem to like that.  area is now under voluntary QDM with ARs but before that most said they'd be fine with ARs as long as their neighbors were doing the same.  the option for no change i don't think will get much support.

talking with the hunting community I'm around most were against 1 buck limit. 

many said the same thing that 1 buck would kill their season short by eliminating any opportunity to take more than 1 buck. they didn't seem to like that.  area is now under voluntary QDM with ARs but before that most said they'd be fine with ARs as long as their neighbors were doing the same.  the option for no change i don't think will get much support.

Why do they need more than 1 male if they can also take females?  Cant eat the rack remember?

• Like 2