If they stopped all Buck hunting.

Four Season Whitetail's

Around here things would stay the same...ppl here that allow doe hunting shoot doe...just like the guy down the road that shot nine this year and I mentioned then he isn't the only one...One year when the herd was really good even I took 4 on my tags and 2 on sign overs and had just as much fun...as some have said we hunt deer if it has a rack, it's just a bonus as far as getting a deer thats different than the others..like the difference between shooting a sable yote and a red coated or blk coated one.... With the # that won't allow doe hunting...we would not need worry about them getting wiped out. Definately we'd have a more relaxed time not having to deal with as many tresspassers for sure...but most ppl here bought life time licenses...they didn't do that just for the turkey tags....They wanted to hunt DEER period..Iam sure...this area is different than some parts of the state.

It might just happen that if does were the only legal harvest, all those antlerless permits that the DEC wants to  be successfully used might actually be used. Perhaps the numbers would go down to near nothing like they want. Perhaps we would find out just how much of a challenge does really can be when they start getting as scarce as bucks. The fact is that we might actually get to see just how stupid all our prized mysterious bucks really are when their numbers grow to where doe numbers are today ...... lol.

yup... pretty much everything stays just like it is now except... the roles reverse over time... then the same problems as we have now... except that the doe age structure will be lessened and the buck population will explode... the scenario however would be interesting from a hunting standpoint at first, but then the same old same old after that with gender role reversals. The bitching from hunters about not seeing enough deer would not change.

I am beginning to see the difficulty that the DEC has with managing herd size. Hunter attitudes toward doe harvests definitely seem to be quite emotion driven. I suppose that is why so many antlerless permits go unclaimed and unfilled. I thought we had left that irrational bias behind years ago, but it seems that it is still very much alive and well. :rolleyes:

I am beginning to see the difficulty that the DEC has with managing herd size. Hunter attitudes toward doe harvests definitely seem to be quite emotion driven. I suppose that is why so many antlerless permits go unclaimed and unfilled. I thought we had left that irrational bias behind years ago, but it seems that it is still very much alive and well. :rolleyes:

Although I fill my DMPs every year... I know I fall under that attitude... filling my DMP's is more of a necessity than anything for me... and I usually donate the meat unless I haven't taken a buck that year... in which case I'll keep one of the does for myself. I do usually get together with friends for DMP filling... so I do enjoy that part. I may be different in that I still fill the tags even though I don't get a kick out of doe hunting like I did years ago... I wonder if I would fill them if there was not a venison donation drive? Not really sure.

Mother nature has her own little way of balancing things out in this senario I believe what would happen over a relative short period is....doe would start producing many more doe fawn as the breeding buck population grew...could be wrong...I'm thinking not. I do think I read something on this years ago.

Likely it is just a "tit-for-tat" response to those that arrogantly look down their noses at the hunters who are not trophy hunters. See it all revolves around this strange need that hunters have for commenting on the selections of others. Apparently it can manifest itself in two distinctly opposite directions......lol.

You know what though, in this forum I don't see a lot of hate towards the guy who shoots the small buck. But I see a heck of a lot of hate towards the trophy hunter. The meat hunter is righteous and noble. And given a pass to hate the trophy hunter for some reason.

I voted that my desire and drive wouldn't change, but I am also against ARs. I would also be against them passing a no buck law. My love for hunting wouldn't leave because I didn't get my way. I think your point here is irrelevant. Do people who love watching football stop watching when new rules are passed?

That's a horrible analogy and you know it.

For some of use taking a doe is just as challenging and rewarding as taking any buck so that is why we are against ARs would we stop hunting no but it would be a shame in my neck of the woods on the property I hunt. If you harvest any deer off the land I hunt including heavily hunted state land you have accomplished something more than shooting a 10 pt out of a open field with a rifle that shoots 300yrds. Around me and the land I hunt you can't see that far so from my experience it's harder. Getting within 100 or so of any whitetail weather it's and yearling doe or a 5 yr old buck in my terrain is a feat. So if I do that I should be able to shoot what I feel is able trophy.

Besides lighter the deer easier the drag bc some areas there is no quad acess lol

Edit....and I already voted I would not lose any interest or passion in deer hunting.

And if you've read any of my stories about my new hunting experience in the south you'd know i couldn't agree more. There are ARs on public land. I shot a doe and a nice buck. Id still let the little guy walk. And I'm glad the regs let the guy grow and I got a shot at him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And if you've read any of my stories about my new hunting experience in the south you'd know i couldn't agree more. There are ARs on public land. I shot a doe and a nice buck. Id still let the little guy walk. And I'm glad the regs let the guy grow and I got a shot at him.

This was not at you more of a answer to your question.....i will say that if I saw more deer yearly I would be much more inclined to let lil ones go. But again I think that should be my decision not a rule....kinda like orange

You know what though, in this forum I don't see a lot of hate towards the guy who shoots the small buck. But I see a heck of a lot of hate towards the trophy hunter. The meat hunter is righteous and noble. And given a pass to hate the trophy hunter for some reason.

1st paragraph: You're whacked.

2nd paragraph: If a 4pt was legal down south you wouldn't have shot it this year?  Damn.........that's tough to believe.  Public land, new state, limited time?  OK...........

• Like 1

I find it kind of funny that everyone would expect to see big bucks just walking around while the we're hunting their doe. Just because there would be,more,of them doesnt make,them dumber. I would bet they would still elude most hunters seeing them...

Sure is some heavy selective reading going on there. I have seen plenty of opinionated and passionate negative comments on both sides when it comes to trying to tell people exactly what they should be hunting and why. The "Brown and down" comments are certainly in no short supply. None of it is really hidden too well, and if someone hasn't seen it, it is only because they haven't been looking. It is plain that there are a lot of people here that want to make negative comments about what others choose to hunt as if they really have the right to do so. And "the pot calling the kettle black" is not doing much for unity among sportsmen and women.

• Like 1

Sure is some heavy selective reading going on there. I have seen plenty of opinionated and passionate negative comments on both sides when it comes to trying to tell people exactly what they should be hunting and why. The "Brown and down" comments are certainly in no short supply. None of it is really hidden too well, and if someone hasn't seen it, it is only because they haven't been looking. It is plain that there are a lot of people here that want to make negative comments about what others choose to hunt as if they really have the right to do so. And "the pot calling the kettle black" is not doing much for unity among sportsmen and women.

True there id flack from both sides but i would say there is more against the Trophy hunter. How its ruined hunting because of Tv shows and being able to go somewhere and pay someone to hunt regardless of a fence and how it gives hunting a bad look.

It was said before about the 10% kill the 90% and i believe its those kind of hunters that make it to trophy status. Most dont have the means to be able to find mature deer and harvest them on a steady basis because that takes a fair amount of means.

• Like 1

To be honest I believe that most hostility comes from this. Those in favor of things like mandatory AR's will effect the way a person hunts that will take any buck. The "big rack hunters" saying the "meat hunter" can't shoot what they want (legally). You don't hear the "meat hunter" saying that the "big rack hunters" can't shoot what they want. It is about choice. I choose not to take small bucks but that is how I want to hunt. I know it means I won't take a buck every year, but I an not going to tell someone that wants any buck that they can't to make my chances better.

• Like 4

unfortunately, the mandatory AR's that are already in place and the ones that are being proposed to go Statewide, only cater to one side of the "antler" -vs- "any deer" hunters......I don't have the time to go back and dig up where DEC has said AR's are more of a request by certain groups of hunters than a biological need, nor do I care to, so I can understand why there would be some resentment from the "any Deer" hunter's if DEC goes ahead and imposes them Statewide......Big difference if you can say "you do what you want and I'll do what I want" as opposed to "now you have to do what I want", so basically they pitted two groups of hunters with different goals against each other.........at this point I don't care either way, I've been hunting with AR's for the past three years Upstate and don't see them ever rescinding them so it is what it is, luckily I have other options with places to go.

I ve read the article several times and see where it says region by region. Not state wide. I understand ar's in the catskills. Large numbers of hunter per acre. People may not see a buck there at all , region 9 you may see 10 different buck and many does over the same smount of time. Most people I know in 9 wait for a decent buck.... but will shoot a spike if it's late in the season.

I know 2 people ed how got surveys and are both against mandatory AR but practice it on their own. And both were mailed back so I know 2of 4000 are no votes.

I don't have the time to go back and dig up where DEC has said AR's are more of a request by certain groups of hunters than a biological need,  

Check my signature. I posted it when I became aware of the stance - believe it was from Jeremy Hurst.

• Like 1

I ve read the article several times and see where it says region by region. Not state wide. I understand ar's in the catskills. Large numbers of hunter per acre. People may not see a buck there at all , region 9 you may see 10 different buck and many does over the same smount of time. Most people I know in 9 wait for a decent buck.... but will shoot a spike if it's late in the season.

I know 2 people ed how got surveys and are both against mandatory AR but practice it on their own. And both were mailed back so I know 2of 4000 are no votes.

To bad there would be no way to check and see if DEC listens to remarks or they go ahead and do what they already plan on doing. I believe its all been decided for us an they are just waiting to put it to print. They seem to want to make alot of changes before summer and thats not very far away.  Its all but written.

This was not at you more of a answer to your question.....i will say that if I saw more deer yearly I would be much more inclined to let lil ones go. But again I think that should be my decision not a rule....kinda like orange

see that's just it. if there were ARs you may not see more deer you could shoot. You probably would see more yearlings, but in years past they get killed. Now your chances of seeing a 2.5 or older on public land increases. You still shoot the doe like I did but you know that bigger buck might be out there.

There's an interesting season in Mississippi where you can hunt one last weekend of bow and shoot either sex, or you can choose to harvest doe only that week with primitive weapon. Kind of a neat idea but does lead to some confusing regs.

1st paragraph: You're whacked.

2nd paragraph: If a 4pt was legal down south you wouldn't have shot it this year?  Damn.........that's tough to believe.  Public land, new state, limited time?  OK...........

1. point me to a harvest thread where someone was picked on for shooting a small buck. I can show you 10 posts in this thread alone where trophy hunters were put down. several by you.

2. I had 2 doe in the freezer. Why shoot the 4 point?

I'm not saying in discussion like this there haven't been comments about guys shooting small buck, what i'm referring to are the harvest threads.

Edited by Belo

To bad there would be no way to check and see if DEC listens to remarks or they go ahead and do what they already plan on doing. I believe its all been decided for us an they are just waiting to put it to print. They seem to want to make alot of changes before summer and thats not very far away.  Its all but written.

The DEC is a state political agency whose Commissioner serves at the pleasure of the Governor. Of course they listen to comments and react to lobbying and pressure groups. Just as the governor wants to be on the popular side of any issue, so do the agencies that he controls. Their job is to make the Governor look good and to ensure that they are on the winning side of any issue as determined by the squeakiest wheel.

And yes, I believe they all have a pretty good idea what the outcome of any issues will be before they even begin to make any plans for change public.

No, I don't have any crystal ball or inside track, but simple logic and following the chain of command makes certain outcomes rather obvious.

I wrote the DEC regarding AR's when they were being proposed for my zone...........never got a reply or acknowledgement either way, so I doubt they listen to the lone voice. I do think that when they get bombarded with form letters that are sent from a particular special interest group they do listen to an extent, especially when they also grab the ear of a politician who helps get their voice heard....