Food for thought....

Deerthug

A good friend passed this on to me in an email and I thought this would be a perfect place to share:

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking

conclusion: There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin ....

Allow me to restate that number: 600,000!

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

(That’s more men under arms than in Iran .. More than France and Germany combined.)

These men, deployed to the woods of a single American state, Wisconsin , to hunt with firearms, And NO ONE WAS KILLED.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters, ALL OF WHOM HAVE RETURNED HOME SAFELY.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that

the Hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states. It's millions more.

The point? America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower!

Hunting... it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

What this article fails to spell out is how has hunting helped the expansion of wildlife, multiple times over.

Food for thought, when next we consider gun control. Overall it's true, so if we disregard some assumptions that hunters don't possess the same skills as soldiers, the question would still remain...

What army of 2 million would want to face 30 million, 40 million, or 50 million armed

citizens??? For the sake of our freedom, don't ever allow gun control or confiscation of guns.

(If you agree, as I do, pass it on, I feel good that I have an army of millions who would protect

our land and I sure don't want the government taking control of the possession of firearms)

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses, Run by idiots!

PERCEPTION IS REALITY!!

• Like 6

Good thoughts, but you are preaching to the choir. Also, don't forget that if the hunters of other states are aging at the rate NYS is, that army may be starting to look a bit geriatric.....lol. Would it really be all that scary to have a bunch of bald, bent-over, hunters with walkers limping their way at you?

No seriously, It is not so much a question of how many people you have with rifles when you are dealing with today's modern warfare of drones, missiles and unmanned weapons that can be launched from more miles away than your trusty old deer rifle can shoot.

Those limitations also apply to those counting on armed insurrection against an out-of-control domestic government. Yes, we would probably look pretty formidable all organized and operating in unison ........ for a few minutes anyway.....lol.

One needs only to come to this forum to see how unified an army of hunters would be.  It would be a band of misfits and nothing more.  They probably couldn't march their way out of a paper bag, nevermind march into battle.  The only marching they'd do is to the nearest saloon, and they'd probably need an ATV to get there since they can't seem to walk too far on foot! LOL

I understand the opposition to the first post, but all the local liberal lovers on here would think different if a muslim group came here and was going to rape and pillage their wife and young teen daughters and grand daughters.  If that were the case I bet my last dollar all the preaching and BS they spew on this forum would be out the window real quick....and they would fit in with the rest of the forward thinking rational ppl.

No I don't see it in the future, as we know from history many countries do not want to invade this country due to the fact most citizens are armed.  But i do see small terrorist cells doing things like they did in france in our future.  And all the retards who do not want us to keep them under control could soon jump fence.  

As we have seen many times citizens with guns do stop a lot of crime, God forbid if I ever see someone getting robbed or raped ill be sure to ask if they are liberal or voted for gun control before i intervene.  

Personally, I think of anything I have as the last line of defense.

I would like to think I would be the last line of defense to protect my home & family also.  I don't believe the Gov't. will be around  when it gets down to the nitty, gritty of things. I think they will all be covering their own arsses.

One would also think in this day & age with all the illegal's & crap coming at us from all directions that our gov't. would stop trying to take our guns away & be more like Switzerland  & encourage gun ownership. People with any military training are encouraged to keep firearms in their homes. They are also encouraged to do practice & recreational shooting by their gov't..   They have one of the highest private gun ownerships in the world.   Seems like a good idea!  jmo.

I know we all enjoyed the Rambo movies, but it is always good to know fictional entertainment from reality. We certainly can use our guns effectively for home and domestic self defense, but that wasn't the premise of the original post, was it? Imagining that we hunters are in any way similar to the armed Militiamen of the revolutionary War simply is not facing up to the fact that the technology of warfare in this century consists of weapons that would make our hunting rifles totally ineffective against an organized enemy domestic or foriegn. It really is not a Liberal vs. Conservative argument. It is simply common sense vs. romanticized day-dreaming and fantasizing.  

I think the point was to show that other Counties may take note that a Country that allows it's citizens to be armed may not be one that can be easily rolled over......whether it's factual or not is another story. I would hope that there would be some impact, as minimal as it may be, should something like that ever happen. There certainly is no threat of that from totally unarmed citizens.......would there ever be an organized militia of organized citizens forming an effective "mini army"? doubtful, but I also doubt many would go down without at least attempting to defend themselves.......and yes, there is a degree of daydreaming and fantasizing to that idea.

I think the point was to show that other Counties may take note that a Country that allows it's citizens to be armed may not be one that can be easily rolled over......whether it's factual or not is another story. I would hope that there would be some impact, as minimal as it may be, should something like that ever happen. There certainly is no threat of that from totally unarmed citizens.......would there ever be an organized militia of organized citizens forming an effective "mini army"? doubtful, but I also doubt many would go down without at least attempting to defend themselves.......and yes, there is a degree of daydreaming and fantasizing to that idea.

Actually what bugs other countries and forces them to not mess with us is the friggin awesome technological superiority in weaponry and the willingness of our military to use it. They don't care if there is a mob of deer hunters heading their way no matter what their numbers. They do pay attention to the fact that they will be vaporized if they mess with us in a serious way.

• Like 2

I know we all enjoyed the Rambo movies, but it is always good to know fictional entertainment from reality. We certainly can use our guns effectively for home and domestic self defense, but that wasn't the premise of the original post, was it? Imagining that we hunters are in any way similar to the armed Militiamen of the revolutionary War simply is not facing up to the fact that the technology of warfare in this century consists of weapons that would make our hunting rifles totally ineffective against an organized enemy domestic or foriegn. It really is not a Liberal vs. Conservative argument. It is simply common sense vs. romanticized day-dreaming and fantasizing.  

yeah.. just the air power of a small country would render our measly rifles, shotguns and pistols useless. But, in a ground war... things could get interesting.

Theres a balance between the two. Boots on the ground in sheer numbers can be a factor. Part of that is why China is so scary. Matching boot numbers with technology? Tough situation to deal with when the time comes.

One thing we really cant comprehend is an invasion on the 48. It seems so foreign to us.

Were not going to win a numbers game with people. We need to continue the technology advantage. Problem is that its unsubstatainable. There will be a point where it levels off and is not the differentiator is has been and is.

It is nice having missile technology that will allow a tomahawk to come to a complete stop before turning right on red.

We just need to find cheap technology. The newest stealth fighters are great but way to costly should we ever need to start converting factories to start making them like we did in the world wars.

One good example of cheap technology is the new lasers we have been pioneering. Well under a buck a shot and its effective.

Prpblem is, other countries like China have low level missiles that can rip a ship in two. Just look at what our harpoons can do...a plane can be outside the sight and effective range of what most ships can defend, they let a harpoon style missile go and the thing flies a foot off the water...literally separates ships in two. Thats what this laser tries to defend from as well, but it only takes one to get through.

Ive seen phalanx in action and this laser is the next evolution.

Edited by phade