Death of the Expert

Five Seasons

I'm not sure what the term 'elitist' has to do with being an expert in one's field. Clarify please.

It's not my article. But in mxcy opinion it's been used a lot as a derogatory term towards "experts" or those very knowledgable/educated or passionate about a subject by those without a clue in the world on the subject.

It's not my article. But in mxcy opinion it's been used a lot as a derogatory term towards "experts" or those very knowledgable/educated or passionate about a subject by those without a clue in the world on the subject.

Spoken like a true elitist....

Actually an expert is a person who's opinion is respected because of their track record.  An elitist is someone who tries to force their opinion on the masses because the feel they are more intelligent, or better than, the masses, in spite of their past track record.

Actually an expert is a person who's opinion is respected because of their track record. An elitist is someone who tries to force their opinion on the masses because the feel they are more intelligent, or better than, the masses, in spite of their past track record.

I reckon one can be elitist not in spite of their track record,too.

Actually an expert is a person who's opinion is respected because of their track record. An elitist is someone who tries to force their opinion on the masses because the feel they are more intelligent, or better than, the masses, in spite of their past track record.

You do not have to be liked or respected to be an expert on a subject. In fact many great scientists and philosophers were hated and hunted by the church and others for being "different".

I believe elitists are just extra passionate., and yes can force their beliefs but not all the time (gun owners come to mind, so do bowhunters and Catholics and Muslims) It does not also mean they're not also experts. You can be both.

Edited by Belo

How exactly does one attain the official title of 'expert'? Who would convey this weighty honor upon us?  And if I get the badge or hat or whatever does it mean no one can ever argue with me? Will my word be taken as gospel ever after? Would this make 'Because I said so" the rule of law? So many questions here, I need to consult an expert.

• Like 1

How exactly does one attain the official title of 'expert'? Who would convey this weighty honor upon us?  And if I get the badge or hat or whatever does it mean no one can ever argue with me? Will my word be taken as gospel ever after? Would this make 'Because I said so" the rule of law? So many questions here, I need to consult an expert.

that's my question, at what point does one graduate from being "knowledgeable" in a certain field to being an "expert" in it?

that's my question, at what point does one graduate from being "knowledgeable" in a certain field to being an "expert" in it?

I think my 27 year of hunting and research has made me very knowledgeable on deer.  I think those who take what they are doing seriously can become experts if they really apply themselves in a relatively short period like 10 years.  Most "experts" I know are very passionate in their particular field and have a proven track record but that is not usually what makes them an expert.  

Becoming an Expert IMHO comes over time from passion to learn, experience, trial and error, a proven track record along with an in depth knowledge of the subject.  

We have some experts on this site, many of them have more than 30 year experience and really do not need to be mentioned by name, their in depth knowledge and post usually prove they are "experts" on hunting. 

Expert and elite are sometimes just a tag given to those with much more knowledge then those of us who are "knowledgeable".

I think my 27 year of hunting and research has made me very knowledgeable on deer.  I think those who take what they are doing seriously can become experts if they really apply themselves in a relatively short period like 10 years.  Most "experts" I know are very passionate in their particular field and have a proven track record but that is not usually what makes them an expert.  

Becoming an Expert IMHO comes over time from passion to learn, experience, trial and error, a proven track record along with an in depth knowledge of the subject.  

We have some experts on this site, many of them have more than 30 year experience and really do not need to be mentioned by name, their in depth knowledge and post usually prove they are "experts" on hunting. 

Expert and elite are sometimes just a tag given to those with much more knowledge then those of us who are "knowledgeable".

while I hear what you're saying, I don't think you can put the title of "expert" on something that you are constantly learning....if it's something like a skill, then maybe you can assume that title. I've been hunting for 30+ years, and although I may consider myself knowledgeable, I am certainly no expert because I have an open mind and learn something new all the time. 

From this discussion , I have decided that I am an expert at farting.

However, even with all of my experience and expertise, on occasion I have a "mishap"...

OOPS !!   Another pair of jockey shorts bites the dust....<<sigh>>...

Life is indeed a continuous learning experience...

The whole point of the article is that your opinion should hold more weight. That's all.

Understood. I'm quite ready to keep my mouth shut and listen when someone with expertise speaks. That's how I've become somewhat 'expert' in many of my pursuits.

But what happens when the experts are found to be lying and hiding their lies behind their labels of being experts? It's happening right now in a number of areas in government. Is it wrong for me to question the validity of their arguments when I know they're lying, even though they're considered experts in their fields?

I guess that's the point. An expert I trust has my ear, but an expert I don't trust will likely get an earful. Unfortunately there are are a lot of experts out there who need to be closely scrutinized, hence I question them. Blind faith hasn't been a part of my makeup for a long while now, and fielding questions from non-experts has become a routine part of life. That's how future experts are grown.

• Like 1

most people don't understand that for big hunting product companies Pro Staff really stands for promotional staff.  expert is subjective and I know I'm not one.  last time I checked I'm not being paid to travel the country to do hunting seminars.   .....my freezer never seems to be empty and that is all.

Edited by dbHunterNY

My opinion is that a true expert would never proclaim themselves to be one. Only the people who successfully employ their services and advice can claim them to be such.

After putting 41 hunting seasons behind me I'm no more an expert at hunting now than I was my first hunting season. I'm still learning almost every time I go in the woods. Am I knowledgeable, yes. Successful, yes. Expert, no way. I'll leave others to make that claim.

• Like 1

Sport hunting has always been associated with "elitism" and not in a bad way. When legislation to ban the industry of market hunting while allowing sport hunting, the industry shoved back and said we are feeding America, these crazy yahoos dont even eat game.

Sport hunters soon called sportsmen, decided what was sporting : methods and species. They didnt hunt at night, use bait, and hundreds of other things commercial market hunters did.

They were elite and the non hunting public for the most part respected them back in the day. The hunting community has gradually evolved away from that over the decades to what we got today... 

Yes, it is documented in history that American hunters have scorned down and postulated game populations would be devastated by  "red neck hunters" "poor southerners" and newly arrived Italian-Americans. Funny, because now days they say that about Bosnians...

Recently, if someone emulates the sport hunter of the late 1930s and chooses to maintain a high level of ethics he is called an elitist?  It is understandable  that trying to impose your own ethics  that exceed what is required by law would irritate some hunters; never the less that is historically part of sport hunting. If nobody stood up in 1937 and said we wont allow shooting deer from cars or hunt ducks at night or use nets to catch nesting turkeys where would we be now? 

• Like 1

We often misuse the term and apply it as a negative, when in fact it really is a very complimentary term.

Elite-

1. (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

2. (used with a plural verb) persons of the highest class

example: Only the elite were there.

3. a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group.
example: the power elite of a major political party.

4. representing the most choice or select; best
example: an elite group of authors.

• Like 1