Bushnell Buyers Beware

88GW

If you own or are thinking of purchasing a Bushnell scope with a "Lifetime Warranty" save your money and invest it in a company that will stand behind their product (Leupold, Redfield, Vortex, Nikon).  One of my first hunting rifles that was given to me had  a Bushnell Banner 3-9 with a "Lifetime Warranty".  I starting experiencing the reticle not being perpendicular/horizontal, it looked like and x instead of a plus sign(+).  I had read online horrible reviews about warranty issues not being honored by Bushnell.  I took a chance and sent mine in with $10 for return shipping hoping they would fix or replace my scope free of charge.  I just received my invoice of almost $60 to repair the scope, mind you it can be purchased for approximately $100.  Needless to say I will not have the scope repaired and will invest the $60 towards the purchase of a scope where the company will actually stand behind their product.

BTW the scope was never dropped, submerged or abused; to be honest the scope did not even have a scratch on it.  I would really like to know why Bushnell would charge for an apparent "Lifetime Warranty"

Needless to say I will not purchase another Bushnell product and am glad that my other recent scope purchases have not been Bushnell's (Leupold for me).

Once again Buyer Beware.

I spent 40 minutes on hold pressing the #1 every 20 seconds.  Will try again later. 

BTW I own Leupold products, this happened to be a gift when I was much younger thus the  Bushnell scope.

The 1 time I had an issue W/a Leupold Vari-X II, they repaired a loose reticle & had the scope back in my hands 7 days from the date I dropped it off @ the Post Office. No charge, no return shipping charge. Just excellent no questions asked customer service.

I will buy the higher end (Japanese) Nikons & the European stuff, but I'll leave the Chinese/Malasian/Phillipino junk thank you. BTW: that includes all but the top of the line "Vortex" scopes that eveyone is ooohing & aaahing about.

The Japs & the Europeans support higher wages than the US so I don't heel like I'm cutting my own throat buying their products. Keep buying the cheap Chinese/third world crap & the makers of moderately priced quality scopes will cease to exist.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Got hold of someone.  No free replacement.  They are offering me a discounted price on a new one since a repair cannot be made.  Reticle Erector Tube is bent if I recall the wording exactly.  I explained that there is no visible scratches, dents or dings and he didn't respond, I told him to send it back and I will be buying a Leupold to avoid problems like this.  He told me to have a nice day and my old scope will be back to me in 7-10 days.  Well now the debate is go with a 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 VX-II like my .308 is wearing.

I guess Bushnell will get no good word of mouth business from this. Too bad they would not work with you more. A thumbs up or good review on their return policy. From a fellow shooter or hunter,would have made them more money than the cost of replacing your scope.

Go with the 3-9x40 if you already like it on another rifle. 

Got hold of someone.  No free replacement.  They are offering me a discounted price on a new one since a repair cannot be made.  Reticle Erector Tube is bent if I recall the wording exactly.  I explained that there is no visible scratches, dents or dings and he didn't respond, I told him to send it back and I will be buying a Leupold to avoid problems like this.  He told me to have a nice day and my old scope will be back to me in 7-10 days.  Well now the debate is go with a 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 VX-II like my .308 is wearing.

How did they explain not honoring a lifetime warranty ? 

Saying the erector tube was bent and then me explaining that it had no damage externally.  Really no explanation other than a discounted new item for $60. If you search Bushnell Lifetime Warranty you will see similar stories to mine.  I was just hoping for a different response.  When I told him I would not be buying another Bushnell product and was going to purchase a Leupold once again no response.  Honestly I don't think he cared too much.

Well now the debate is go with a 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 VX-II like my .308 is wearing.

The choice for me would be based on the relative size of the rifle. SA bolt gun W/< 22" barel would be better balanced athetically by the smaller 2-7X33.

LA bolt gun W/> 22" barrel would lean me towards the 3.9X40.

22" barrel could look/balance W/either.

Well if they stand by being "dicks" as it were...you have nothing to loose telling them they need to get a manager. For you want to ask if that 60.00 is worth the many many hunting sites and posts you will be making on the internet about your "personal" experience with their lack of warranty service...then explain you have some time on yours and love to type....It's worked for me a few times

so they told you the warranty is void because it had to have been damaged by something you did, and not the scope failing on its own from normal use?

Well folks welcome to the new word and there way of doing business.The problem they would rather replace a complete scope then Repair it. If they  ( whoever ) do not have one in stock ( same as you sent in )  You are screwed.

Reason is 1 they do not have the staff to repair them anymore . It is cheaper for them to make a new one ( with today's machinery ) then to pay some one to sit there and repair the product. It is more $$ in there pocket and that what they are in business for not to make friends.

Not saying all of the companies are like this but as the old timers that did the work retired or died they were not replaced.

Well again for me. I was told the regular trophy model was not made any more do they shipped an xlt trophy model, again I can't complain. Bushnell sells lots of scopes, I am surprised to hear this.

I actually like my Nikon and weaver scopes much better as far as scopes go

That would seem to be the case. Not sure since it was never dropped or abused in any other way. Used a wheeler torque wrench to tighten rings etc. so not likely it was damaged from mounting rings too tight. To be honest the gun spent very little time in the woods.

Got the letter back from Bushnell.  It says Issues found:  Eye Piece, Image erector.  Recommendation : Replace.  Other comments: Impact damage, Serial number missing, Beyond Repair, Discontinued Item. They suggest I buy a new one for $68.91. 

Even without the serial number they indicated the actual model number of scope. I feel the impact damage is their way out of replacing the scope free of charge.  The scope looked great no scuff or scrapes just marks where the scope rings were mounted. Oh well live and learn.