Job's/profession's

Dom

I've often wondered about what type of retirement plans the folks who bounce from job to job their entire lives have in place.....pension, 401k, just rely on Social Security or just work until they die?.........I don't expect anyone to answer because it's none of my business, but just something I've thought about....and really something everyone should think about early on in life.

I have a good pension plan in place and will have 30 years in and retire @ 58 (most likely semi-retire as I like extra $ for hunting stuff) and to keep busy. Don't think that because most of us bounced around in the younger days,that we don't have enough time to grow the nest egg :) I and probably everyone here can name a friend or 2 that will never get anywhere because they STILL bounce around and will never be able to retire. I think it's a good thing to be a jack of all trades as it builds character and gives one knowledge in an array of different fields of work/life.

• Like 2

I've often wondered about what type of retirement plans the folks who bounce from job to job their entire lives have in place.....pension, 401k, just rely on Social Security or just work until they die?.........I don't expect anyone to answer because it's none of my business, but just something I've thought about....and really something everyone should think about early on in life.

With pensions being a dying artform of retirement (less common than it was), jumping from job to job doesn't really impact retirement unless you have long wait periods for 401(k) participation or matching/vesting schedule and you just roll it over as needed. IRAs, rentals, etc. Pension is really the only thing to buy into with sticking out with a company/job.

What gets tough is when you start getting into golden handcuffs tying you to a company, whether in the form of RSUs or compensation terms. It's actually a very useful tool to retain talent, but wow, does it ever make it hard to leave.

Edited by phade

farmer (farmer's son), farmer and odd jobs as a kid (built picnic tables, mowed lawns, store clerk, etc.), farmer and grunt worker for general contractor, farmer and masonry worker, farmer and community college student, farmer and intern engineer for NYS Parks..., part time farmer and university student, part time farmer and manufacturing facility electrical engineer, and now a part time farmer and electrical engineering consultant (commercial, state, and gov construction).

farming has always been in cattle and hay to sell, but now it's just hay.  little money in beef.

retirement completely up to me.  IRAs, 401K, and non retirement accounts.  nothing is matched.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Did some unpaid work/internships with the DEC, then worked several full time retail jobs, worked freshwater aquarium maintenance, worked at a small local print and office supply shop, did long distance/contract work with a company painting figurines and also running some online PR/forum management, and now I'm a self employed artist and a board member for a local nature center.

Edited by Jennifer

was told I was not smart enough to be a wildlife biologist,went to Pharmacy School  20 years later went back to get my doctorate- taught at a medical school, became whistle blower left the University now work developing Hospital information systems, and in a year will be retired running a commercial pheasant shooting preserve on the property my profession allowed me to buy..  Life sometimes takes you in a big circle.

• Like 2

Currently I make next-gen Jet Engines. But more literally I run the EHS dept. for a site that makes parts that is part of a very large company that makes the jet engines.

Chronologically (I'm 31)

strawberry picker, tops cashier, tops grocery stockboy, dishwasher at a country club, lawn and garden for chase pitkins, cutco knife salesman, sears appliance salesman, house painter, summer intern at kodak, EHS for a chemical company in Buffalo, EHS leader for an electronic communications company in Rochester.

First job was a paper route then a busboy, dish washer, worked at a food market stocking shelves and working with the butchers.  After high school, 9+ years as a auto tech, 3 more as a service advisor/assistant manager,  Computer field tech/repair and cable installation 14 years. 

Paper route at 10, helped out neighboring farmer for 2 summers. First "real job" was trimming Christmas trees. Worked both pizza delivery and at a Mom and Pop gas station through high school. Part time retail and bouncer first year of college. Became an EMT (eventually Paramedic) in college and did the EMS thing for 18 years. Kept bouncing for 12 years. Taught at local community college for Fire, Rescue, EMS (In Pa). Taught full time at vo-tech school (Public Safety program), Dispatcher for a large Air-Medical Company while going to nursing school. Have been a nurse for 7 years, worked Transplant, Trauma ICU, ER and ICU. Currently full time ER and part time ICU. Also have worked as needed last 12 years for a rodeo contractor setting up arenas, hauling and handling stock, running shows, occasionally doing hay. I used to compete as a steer wrestler, but a broken neck put a stop to that. Some day I'll figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Chairman and CEO of my own food production company (dairy farm) for 38 years. Grew up on the farm working. Worked several months out of high school at alocal manufacturing company. Three years at a local agri-business.

• Like 1

Worked in a German deli when I was very young. A kosher butcher shop on Ave B in Manhattan 7th and 8th Grade. Supermarkets and the garment district through high school. Worked at the corner newspaper/candy store/soda fountain on weekend nights. After a semester of college unloaded vegetables from freight trains at Hunts Point market. 4 years active in USCG, almost 2 years active reserve. 30 years FDNY. 10 years Army National Guard. Now I go to college and write short stories. 

My working life started around 8 years old when I carried water, and fed the sheep. Yeah, I had to work for my $1 per week allowance. I was also the kid up in the hay-mow tramping in the loose hay as it came off the big hay fork up on the tram (yeah, hay didn't always come in bales). But eventually we did get to real bales that had to be loaded on the wagon and stacked up in the mow. Funny thing was that even as I grew up and did more work, I don't remember that allowance getting any bigger.

To all of that I eventually helped my grandfather run a pretty huge trapline, and took on odd jobs at the small farmers around the valley. That was back when we still had farmers in the valley. I may be one of the very few guys here that know about bagging wheat on a combine. Yeah, the kid with some pretty severe hay fever spent hours with his face over a wheat bag while it filled .... lol. What a mess I was at the end of the day.

Through college summers, I worked at Olympic Park on Scottsville Road mostly at the golf driving range at night and doing all kinds of maintenance work during the day.

After graduation fro RIT, I took on a toolmakers apprenticeship at Bausch and Lomb. Thought it would make a good background for my engineering degree. I was right.

First real full-time job was designing optical instruments at B&L. Great beginning because it was pure engineering without all the systems and paperwork B.S.

Spent some time just bopping all over the place trying to find the right company to hunker down in. I even spent some time in architectural design.

You know those paper transport subsystems on the Xerox copying and printing machines that are all the time jamming? .... That's where I finally put most of my engineering time at. Yeah, I did get involved in all areas of copiers, but specialized in moving paper at ridiculous speeds and putting the 10 pounds of stuff in the 5 pound bag kind of work. It was fun!

I began the best job of my life 11 years ago when I retired ...... love the benefits!

• Like 2