Deer Poaching last night

So some low lifes shot a deer on my dads property last night right next to his house less then 500 feet away. Guy who works for my dad seen a spotlight and then a couple shots.He went out and yelled and they took off, they tried coming back later with flashlights and he yelled again and they took off. He went up this morning and laying in the peach orchard dead was a doe. I seen 2-3 rifle holes in the front shoulder.Has been reported to DEC, but they have not gotten back to us.

post-451-0-07163500-1427903738_thumb.jpg

Hope they are caught and prosecuted. Poachers are scum of the earth.

Other than cheap thrills,why would anyone poach deer at this time of year. No antlers,plus they are very thin,and in the worse shape of the year!

• Like 2

Hope they are caught and prosecuted. Poachers are scum of the earth.

Other than cheap thrills,why would anyone poach deer at this time of year. No antlers,plus they are very thin,and in the worse shape of the year!

I am in no way making excuses and I think this sucks. I have been around areas  of the state and country that this happens pretty frequently. sometimes hunger can be a big motivator. I think a job or another job is a better option. If we knew this guy worked two jobs and had 3 hungry little kids at home would our opinion change? 

• Like 4

I am in no way making excuses and I think this sucks. I have been around areas  of the state and country that this happens pretty frequently. sometimes hunger can be a big motivator. I think a job or another job is a better option. If we knew this guy worked two jobs and had 3 hungry little kids at home would our opinion change? 

shooting that close to a house with people around? no, not at all...putting other people in danger only makes it worse.

Just an observation and not trying to give anyone a hard time:  2-3 shots in the shoulder?  At night?  Pretty good shooting on the 2nd and 3rd shots. Maybe it was froze by the light and didn't move after the first shot?  Sad and odd story.

buckshot???

For the fact to kill a deer yes if he or his family were starving and had no other means to get food,but around houses and other people not in a million years.Plus if this guy can afford a truck,spotlight,gun and ammo then he has money but just didn't spend it wisely

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that .....filthy rotten knuckle dragging dirt bags...There are legal ways to get food for ones family...Hell the gas money they used to drive around spotting deer could have gone towards food...That deer suffered through this hellish winter to end like that!

For the fact to kill a deer yes if he or his family were starving and had no other means to get food,but around houses and other people not in a million years.Plus if this guy can afford a truck,spotlight,gun and ammo then he has money but just didn't spend it wisely

That and if you needed food that bad I am sure you could get on a road kill list.

• Like 2

Don't be trying to drum up sympathy for these scum-bags. It is most likely that these crooks are simply thrill-killers who did it just for the hell of it. I doubt that there is anybody in this welfare state of NY that has to live off the land for any reason other than that they simply want to.

• Like 1

Don't be trying to drum up sympathy for these scum-bags. It is most likely that these crooks are simply thrill-killers who did it just for the hell of it. I doubt that there is anybody in this welfare state of NY that has to live off the land for any reason other than that they simply want to.

Not trying to drum up sympathy, Doc. Hate poachers. Was just throwing a one scenario to a comment that said there couldn't be one. I do know of people that  did it to feed their families. Was talked about a lot up around the Sacandaga Reservoir area and north. we would hear shots about every night when I worked a job down in backwoods WV too. Down there if it was done and the people doing it didn't run their mouths about it, LEO's turned a blind eye.

Heck when we did a survey a few months back I was blown away that the majority of respondents were satisfied with current poaching laws and enforcement and didn't see a need for a change. I would have never bet on that result in a million years.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Not trying to drum up sympathy, Doc. Hate poachers. Was just throwing a one scenario to a comment that said there couldn't be one. I do know of people that  did it to feed their families. Was talked about a lot up around the Sacandaga Reservoir area and north. we would hear shots about every night when I worked a job down in backwoods WV too. Down there if it was done and the people doing it didn't run their mouths about it LEO's turned a blind eye.

Heck when we did a survey a few months back I was blown away that the majority of respondents were satisfied with current poaching laws and enforcement and didn't see a need for a change. I would have never bet on that result in a million years.

I wouldn't doubt that the courts go more lenient on hardship cases as opposed to the guy killing to chop the antlers off or just as an easy way to fill his tag.....

I wouldn't doubt that the courts go more lenient on hardship cases as opposed to the guy killing to chop the antlers off or just as an easy way to fill his tag.....

That's normal right? I think there's a legal term for mitigating circumstances and prosecutors/judges do have leniency. I automatically assumed it was someone out there killing for thrill.

That's normal right? I think there's a legal term for mitigating circumstances and prosecutors/judges do have leniency. I automatically assumed it was someone out there killing for thrill.

I think if most of us had this happen at night within 500' of our house, we all would. Never know who is out there or what they are capable of.

Where this deer laided dead was not even 45 yards max from the road. It also was in a peach orchard which right now the trees have no leaves and are in rows. I did not move the deer or flip it over. Never though about buck shot. I may stop back up and look at some of the peach trees and see if there is any marks on them, to see if buck shot was used. I was not there, so only can tell you what I was told, and I took the picture of the deer myself this morning.