Situation in Baltimore

Steve -

The country was empty back then...lots of room to expand. our nation was unregulated and expanding. 

its an apples and oranges comparison you are making. 

My point is basic economics...the more of something you have  (in this case labor), the cheaper that thing is.  My company can hire 3 indians for my salary.  so in the eyes of my company I am overpaid.  hence they want more HI visas.  My brother who is a contractor needs to compete against numerous Illegals.  so his daily rate hasn't changed in over ten years. 

I'm just pointing out the reality of the situation.  This country is basically filled.  we need to follow canadains immigration policy...see below

anadian Immigration Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following points requirements to qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker program.

Work Experience
To satisfy the point requirements you must have at least one year of full-time paid work experience in fields that satisfy Canadian immigration standards such as managerial jobs, professional occupations, or technical / skilled trades.

For more information about the jobs and occupations that Canadian immigration considers valid, visit the National Occupational Classification website: www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/welcome.shtml.

Education
The main applicant will likely need at least some completed post-secondary education.  Of course, up to a point, the more education an applicant has the better that person’s chances become.  Education is a very important aspect of the evaluation process .

Language Abilities
Language is also very important.   English and French are the two languages that count for points in the Canadian immigration requirements.  Of course, to be fluent in both provides more points to any applicant, but fluency in one of these two languages will increase any applicant’s chances significantly.

10 points are awarded to applicants between 21 and 49 years of age.  2 points are removed for every year older or younger (to a maximum of 10 points).

Arranged Employment
With a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer, applicants may be awarded an additional 10 points.

Adaptability
The Canadian government also takes adaptability into account when evaluating any applicant.  The adaptability category addresses a potential applicant’s perceived ability to adapt quickly to life in Canada.  The Canadian Government will award any applicant who has relatives in Canada or has spent time in Canada working or studying.

Point Structure
This is the point breakdown for the Canadian Immigration Requirements for Federal Skilled Worker.

• Work Experience: Maximum 21 Points
  • Education: Maximum 25 Points
  • Language: Maximum 24 Points
  • Arranged Employment: Maximum 10 Points
  • Adaptability: Maximum 10 Points

TOTAL POINTS: Maximum 100 Points
POINTS REQUIRED TO PASS: 67 Points

• Like 2

how come there has never been a riot directed at the lack of work, available education and chances of being rehabilitated in this Country???????

When there is, it will be a civil war. Can you imagine if all the rioters were armed? If guys like all of us here on the forum could not feed our families as a whole the government would probably be taken over. Maybe even collapse. The country is fermenting...

Recently there was a video of a white guy charging a cop and the cop showing amazing restrain because he was told the guy would commit suicide by cop.

In another recent video a cop didnt have his gaurd up and his body cam showed a white male kill him. After the cop let him go inside his home or something.

If those "perps" were black neither situation would have ended the way it did.

The justice system has always treated blacks differently from arrests to incarceration. Slice it and dice it any way u choose. The war on drugs is a perfect example.

Used to work for an advertising agency as a kid and my boss was a stone hard weed head. Course she was rich but her drug dealer was black. Her and her friends would come in and do talk about it. Was crazy.

So its bs to think u take a greater risk with black people. White people got just as much dirt the system just deals with races much differently. White officers give white people much more passes as they can use discretion.

Personally i dont give a crap and it wont change till the police force, politicians,lawyers and judges ant mostly white. And with immigration the way it is thats right around the corner.

It pains me to see how so many people cling to this race bullsh@t around the world.

Instead of tryin to find solutions they cling to hidden prejudice and it seeps into there kids and they dont even see it.

Letting a country built on immigrants go to crap over race is the most asinine thing in the world

• Like 1

mmkay, I am not arguing with you.  Capitalism has always had the "greed" element within it, so I think things have just gotten worse over the years.  You have CEO's making millions and millions, while they rather pay two immigrants a salary that one American low level employee used to get.  There is definitely something wrong with this "greed" mentality of American corporations and capitalism, but what solutions are there to fix it?  I surely never said that it was perfect or totally fair.  Stopping most of the immigration that is happening will just get corporations to send the jobs completely out of this country like has happened with a lot of manufacturing and customer service departments.  Hell, I call Verizon up for some problems with my fios line outside my house in NY and I am talking with someone in the Philippines.  Unbelievable!  Even more people will end up losing jobs in this country if entire offices and plants are shut down because now EVERY job is being sent elsewhere because immigrants are no longer allowed to come in.  It's a tough situation, but one that won't easily be solved.

Steve863 - I’m not try to argue either, just sharing a POV.  you raised some valid points, but remember certain jobs can't be outsources (skilled trades) as for outsourcing, legislative action can resolve this.  however, both parties would oppose this action

mmkay, I am not arguing with you. Capitalism has always had the "greed" element within it, so I think things have just gotten worse over the years. You have CEO's making millions and millions, while they rather pay two immigrants a salary that one American low level employee used to get. There is definitely something wrong with this "greed" mentality of American corporations and capitalism, but what solutions are there to fix it? I surely never said that it was perfect or totally fair. Stopping most of the immigration that is happening will just get corporations to send the jobs completely out of this country like has happened with a lot of manufacturing and customer service departments. Hell, I call Verizon up for some problems with my fios line outside my house in NY and I am talking with someone in the Philippines. Unbelievable! Even more people will end up losing jobs in this country if entire offices and plants are shut down because now EVERY job is being sent elsewhere because immigrants are no longer allowed to come in. It's a tough situation, but one that won't easily be solved.

I am not totaly afainst unions in fields where needed.

But when it comes to low lvl jobs and even some skilled labor fields they drive costs way up. So companies respond by shipping jobs overseas.

Corp greed plays a huge role. But u cant rip an exec from his office.

U want to fix it... make it more expensive for them to do business overseas than it is here. But then u piss off alot of people who put the politicians in office. And that aint u and me

• Like 1

I am not totaly afainst unions in fields where needed.

But when it comes to low lvl jobs and even some skilled labor fields they drive costs way up. So companies respond by shipping jobs overseas.

Corp greed plays a huge role. But u cant rip an exec from his office.

U want to fix it... make it more expensive for them to do business overseas than it is here. But then u piss off alot of people who put the politicians in office. And that aint u and me

So, are American workers expected to work for the same labor costs as 3rd world countries?

Germany has some of the highest labor costs in the world, (and one of the highest standards of living BTW) yet they have a trade surplus & manufacture more cars than the United States.

What's up with that?

Oh, and even if we adopted the Canadian immigration policy, how would it stop most of these skilled immigrants who come in to take jobs from American I/T type workers from coming in? Most who come in to take these jobs are college educated, speak English, already have job offers from American corporations, so there would be virtually NOTHING to disqualify them from coming in even if we adopted the Canadian rules.

Oh, and even if we adopted the Canadian immigration policy, how would it stop most of these skilled immigrants who come in to take jobs from American I/T type workers from coming in? Most who come in to take these jobs are college educated, speak English, already have job offers from American corporations, so there would be virtually NOTHING to disqualify them from coming in even if we adopted the Canadian rules.

eliminate or cut back on H1N1 visas

Edited by mmkay

So, are American workers expected to work for the same labor costs as 3rd world countries?

Germany has some of the highest labor costs in the world, (and one of the highest standards of living BTW) yet they have a trade surplus & manufacture more cars than the United States.

What's up with that?

Germany is looking to follow Canda's immigration policy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/germany-looks-to-canadian-model-for-immigration-policy-inspiration/article23381683/

Germany has some of the highest labor costs in the world, (and one of the highest standards of living BTW) yet they have a trade surplus & manufacture more cars than the United States.

What's up with that?

Not what im saying. America aint a thied world.

But take the whole 15 dollar minumum wage. Fast food jobs making that kinda money is crazy. Those jobs arent meant to take care of a family. Used to be for kids.

Or a story about a janitor in the schools crackin 100K a year wth... how does a public school janitor make that kind of money.

Or when the mta held new yorkers hostage over their contracts. All that happened is we wound up payin more for a fare.

In certain fields when they get increases the unions fight for taxes go up or prices increase with no gain in value.

• Like 1

I'm sorry i must have missed the memo but when was it decided that a job at a fast food franchise isn't meant to raise a family on or live on? I wasn't aware of the law or constitutional amendment promising Americans cheap fast food. Fast food employees average 29 year old and restaurant and food service employees make up the largest sector of public assistance users. I say stop bitching and pony up a few more cents for your fast food.

• Like 1

I'm sorry i must have missed the memo but when was it decided that a job at a fast food franchise isn't meant to raise a family on or live on? I wasn't aware of the law or constitutional amendment promising Americans cheap fast food. Fast food employees average 29 year old and restaurant and food service employees make up the largest sector of public assistance users. I say stop bitching and pony up a few more cents for your fast food.

If they studied harder and did their work in school instead of f*cking around maybe they'd have better jobs. How about people start taking responsibility for themselves. Enough is enough this is getting ridiculous!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If they studied harder and did their work in school instead of f*cking around maybe they'd have better jobs. How about people start taking responsibility for themselves. Enough is enough this is getting ridiculous!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There are plenty of educated people working minimum wage jobs.

Those high paying jobs just don't magically appear every time somone gets a college degree do they?

WTF up! 25 years ago General Motors was the largest private sector employer in the United States. Today it's Walmart

WTF up! 25 years ago General Motors was the largest private sector employer in the United States. Today it's Walmart

Doubling minimum wage is not the soljtion to the disapearance of mid lvl jobs in america. Just gonna create more problems and people will wind up withe the same need for socjal services in the long run.

The system will correct itself in a few years if u forget to add value to the equation.

Highly educated for what?

A field where there are opportunities?

Or one that seemed liked fun.

Check out http://www.fastweb.com/career-planning/articles/the-35-weird-but-cool-college-majors if you want to see some of the college majors that some of these highly educated fast food workers may have taken......lol.

Could be that these "highly educated" fast food workers grabbed the first job that came along for an instant paycheck and then lacked the intestinal fortitude to get out there and beat the bushes for a real job.

Getting back to the original topic, I will say that it is no longer acceptable to act out rage and discontent in illegal ways. There is no excusing burning and looting your neighbors businesses simply because some injustice has been done to someone you don't even know. There comes a point where these things start to be honestly viewed for what they are: simple excuses for illegal and violent acts.

I have no sympathy for such acts anymore. It isn't really rage and discontent. it is simply "party time" at your neighbor's expense.

• Like 2

This may sound harsh but I am so tired of the race card. Every time there is an event involving an African American it turns to race, and people like Al Sharpton make a living keeping racism alive. when you seen the President and the Mayor make Sharpton a council your asking for trouble to ratchet it up. Now are there wrongs being done to people by SOME police Yes, not all. Now look at the people of color who are not qualified to do the job 1st comes to Mined the President and the Mayor of Baltimore, now I don't care about there color they are just not able to do the job elected to do. This Country has made head way on race related issues but Al Sharpton destroys that head way. The other think I take issue with is Slavery and Americans have this hanging over our head if you disagree with a person of Color your a racist. Slavery happen same as the Holocaust it was wrong lets move on. A racist Country WHAT we have a African American President and DOJ not to mention other position across the country, but if you fail on the job please stop blaming race. If you march and loot and rob your a thief looter and a criminal, no matter what race ethic background or religion you are. If you don't like what's going on do something before you use events after the fact. Last but not least most of these places have been under years of Democrat Liberal rule, if they want to fix it look at the elected official's and see there way of governing is not working. If only all those that marched or looted came out and Voted for the future of the cities and states. Stop Voting for Color of someone's skin or someone's party or sex and Vote the best for your community. Remember Abraham Lincoln was a republican, so stop giving your voice away by voting the status quo.

• Like 1

Americans in general are losing work ethic with every succeeding generation. Immigrants aren't taking jobs from deserving Americans; jobs are available to those who want to actually work.

One of Buffalo's radio jocks was talking about this, how local businesses couldn't even get people to apply for advertised work. Welfare is obviously far too comfortable.