Shorten the NY Gun Season?

sherlockgael

Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?

• Yes-1 week
    • Yes-2 weeks
    • Yes-Staggered 1 week Nov 1 week Dec
    • No-Leave it as is

See now here is an example of you Larry and Doc not paying attention... the cornell study was done on the entire state.. the 20% I am talking about was the extention to 8WMU's which is what Hurst was talking about and what the DEC was refurring to... now i know how you guys get things so twisted... yeah twisted doc.. support for voluntary AR is support for AR... just because they are afraid to mandate it doesn't mean they don't support it. You can keep spinning it anyway you like if that works for you.

Not really any point to even trying to talk to you is there? You can't even read straight forward English sentences and understand what is being said. It's too bad because it kind of wrecks whatever credibility you may have ever had.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to back away and save face Doc.. better if maybe you and Larry discuss things and let the rest of us know what we ought to say.

Would you rather I continue to expose your reading comprehension problem. I thought I would give you a break.  ;D 

I dont think it will happen either.The thing i look at is other states that have shorter seasons with different weapons have a better deer herd and alot of huge bucks.Some states will not have the gun season during the rut,bow only.I think thats a great idea as long there is a doe season involved somewhere also.I am content with the way things are now and i think most are.No matter what happens if anything there is always going to be some against change.If you look at some of the big bucks that were shot this year it shows that ny can make some good deer and that might be that there is more people doing their own qdm and lettin the little guys walk more often.

Well, I've got some news for you.  NYS could care less how big the antlers on the bucks head are when they are gunned down by hunters.  The state needs deer shot and the age and antler size doesn't make a difference to them.  Game management is deer population control.  This antler stuff is only a concern to hunters who want them.  The state could care less about them.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I dont think it will happen either.The thing i look at is other states that have shorter seasons with different weapons have a better deer herd and alot of huge bucks.Some states will not have the gun season during the rut,bow only.I think thats a great idea as long there is a doe season involved somewhere also.I am content with the way things are now and i think most are.No matter what happens if anything there is always going to be some against change.If you look at some of the big bucks that were shot this year it shows that ny can make some good deer and that might be that there is more people doing their own qdm and lettin the little guys walk more often.

Well, I've got some news for you.  NYS could care less how big the antlers on the bucks head are when they are gunned down by hunters.  The state needs deer shot and the age and antler size doesn't make a difference to them.  Game management is deer population control.  This antler stuff is only a concern to hunters who want them.  The state could care less about them.

You couldn't be more wrong.

OK, why don't you tell us why I am wrong?? The state could give a damn about antlers.  Antlers are the obsession of hunters and not the DEC.  The state wants and hopes that 200,000 plus deer get taken each year and they could care less about what the antlers of the bucks look like.  Please prove to us that they really care about them?  Good luck in your search.

Ahhhhh, and thats where the x-bow comes into play.  ;)

Jee whiz, it seems like the x-bow is the solution to everything for you?  I could care less if they make the x-bows legal during bow season, gun season or any other season, but to think any gun hunter would be happy giving up a week or two of their gun season for a bloody x-bow is the silliest thing I ever heard!  Plus they would have to spend another $500-$1000 for the darned contraption just to hunt those weeks they lost from their gun season.  Just how would this possibly make any gun hunter happy???  Will NEVER happen in NYS!

You dont read or comprehend things very well all the time steve. I have never said it was the complete solution, but once again you cherry pick one comment and go off on your tangent.

BTW, I have never, ever said I dont like gun hunters. I started out gun hunting and only got into bow hunting a handful of years ago. I have never hunted with a x-bow and unless they change the seasons up similarly to how I have mentioned, it will be a long time before I do. The reasons why I say the gun season should be shortened is because I dont have my blinders on, and can see what would make for better quality hunting for everyone. Dont try and misconstrue that to mean bigger antlers either, there are plenty of bucks in NY with big racks now, and I have my share of encounters with them every year. Ill never understand people that dont want things to get better even when hunter numbers drop every year.

So since I don't comprehend things well, are you also trying to tell us that hunter numbers in NYS are dropping because of the poor hunting we have in NYS??  So a shorter season and possibly better hunting will bring hunters back while the long season and the lousy hunting we currently have is making hunters hang it up??  I myself think hunters would prefer to have a longer time frame to hunt over a shorter frame where they have NO choice but put all their hunting time in a short two week time frame.  Many who don't like gun hunting think it sounds like Vietnam now on opening day, I could imagine things being doubly worse if gun hunters knew they had less time available to them.  If gun hunters are to lose two weeks of their season, I would hope that bow hunters get to lose three at the same time.  What's fair is fair.  One group shouldn't get the shaft while the other doesn't.

Jee whiz, it seems like the x-bow is the solution to everything for you?  I could care less if they make the x-bows legal during bow season, gun season or any other season, but to think any gun hunter would be happy giving up a week or two of their gun season for a bloody x-bow is the silliest thing I ever heard!  Plus they would have to spend another $500-$1000 for the darned contraption just to hunt those weeks they lost from their gun season.  Just how would this possibly make any gun hunter happy???  Will NEVER happen in NYS!

You dont read or comprehend things very well all the time steve. I have never said it was the complete solution, but once again you cherry pick one comment and go off on your tangent.

BTW, I have never, ever said I dont like gun hunters. I started out gun hunting and only got into bow hunting a handful of years ago. I have never hunted with a x-bow and unless they change the seasons up similarly to how I have mentioned, it will be a long time before I do. The reasons why I say the gun season should be shortened is because I dont have my blinders on, and can see what would make for better quality hunting for everyone. Dont try and misconstrue that to mean bigger antlers either, there are plenty of bucks in NY with big racks now, and I have my share of encounters with them every year. Ill never understand people that dont want things to get better even when hunter numbers drop every year.

So since I don't comprehend things well, are you also trying to tell us that hunter numbers in NYS are dropping because of the poor hunting we have in NYS??  So a shorter season and possibly better hunting will bring hunters back while the long season and the lousy hunting we currently have is making hunters hang it up??  I myself think hunters would prefer to have a longer time frame to hunt over a shorter frame where they have NO choice but put all their hunting time in a short two week time frame.  Many who don't like gun hunting think it sounds like Vietnam now on opening day, I could imagine things being doubly worse if gun hunters knew they had less time available to them.  If gun hunters are to lose two weeks of their season, I would hope that bow hunters get to lose three at the same time.  What's fair is fair.  One group shouldn't get the shaft while the other doesn't.

Look steve, the whole key to shortening the gun season and improving the overall hunting is compromise. Thats what the crossbow represents and becomes, less range and a slight expense, but less pressure on the deer and a longer overall season for the gun hunter that picks up the crossbow.

As far as your comprehension skills go, I have said at least once (if not more times) in this thread that shortening the season or crossbows were not the only things that need be done to make a big improvement in the hunting in NY. And yes, I do believe that PART (dont misconstrue it as "all" or "the only") of the reason why the numbers are dropping off has to do with the lack of quality in the hunting in many parts of the state. Whether you feel the same way or not, many people dont want to sit and freeze after spending a bunch of money and see no deer because they are all in hiding after the intense pressure of having lead hurled at them for weeks on end. Not everyone has a lightly hunted chunk of land to go to like some of us do.

2 weeks for bow,2 for gun,2 for muzzle and hang em up for another year!!!

You know what?  Eventhough I wouldn't really like what you suggest here, I would agree to it if each category only had two weeks.  Now would you like to wager on who would be bitching louder about this proposal, the bowhunters or the gun hunters?  LOL!

Look steve, the whole key to shortening the gun season and improving the overall hunting is compromise. Thats what the crossbow represents and becomes, less range and a slight expense, but less pressure on the deer and a longer overall season for the gun hunter that picks up the crossbow.

As far as your comprehension skills go, I have said at least once (if not more times) in this thread that shortening the season or crossbows were not the only things that need be done to make a big improvement in the hunting in NY. And yes, I do believe that PART (dont misconstrue it as "all" or "the only") of the reason why the numbers are dropping off has to do with the lack of quality in the hunting in many parts of the state. Whether you feel the same way or not, many people dont want to sit and freeze after spending a bunch of money and see no deer because they are all in hiding after the intense pressure of having lead hurled at them for weeks on end. Not everyone has a lightly hunted chunk of land to go to like some of us do.

There you go again with the crossbows!  "Longer overall season for the gun hunter that picks up the crossbow".  The crossbow in my opinion has ZERO significance in this conversation about a shortened gun season.  Let us not even touch upon the fact that they have never been allowed in NYS and next year only allowed in gun season.  We are NO where near discussing them as any sort of alternative to gun hunting.  I have yet to hear a dedicated gun hunter say that they could ever be considered a good alternative. 

I don't think that crossbows could pick up the slack of the deer that will not be killed by the gun hunters facing a shortened season. If @80% of deer are taken opening weekend, who is going to kill the other 20% for the state, that 20% would be a large number and left unchecked they would would reek havoc and overpopulate pretty quickly.

One other point, we aren't loosing just hunters, New York looses the most people from a state any where in America. We are loosing residents and some of them are bound to be hunters aswell. I don't think there is going to be anything that will draw in new people to hunting in New York, unless they give away a few million to a surprised hunter every year.

There you go again with the crossbows!  "Longer overall season for the gun hunter that picks up the crossbow".  The crossbow in my opinion has ZERO significance in this conversation about a shortened gun season.  Let us not even touch upon the fact that they have never been allowed in NYS and next year only allowed in gun season.  We are NO where near discussing them as any sort of alternative to gun hunting.  I have yet to hear a dedicated gun hunter say that they could ever be considered a good alternative.

Uh oh, there goes your comprehension skills again.  :D

I don't think that crossbows could pick up the slack of the deer that will not be killed by the gun hunters facing a shortened season. If @80% of deer are taken opening weekend, who is going to kill the other 20% for the state, that 20% would be a large number and left unchecked they would would reek havoc and overpopulate pretty quickly.

One other point, we aren't loosing just hunters, New York looses the most people from a state any where in America. We are loosing residents and some of them are bound to be hunters aswell. I don't think there is going to be anything that will draw in new people to hunting in New York, unless they give away a few million to a surprised hunter every year.

Maybe the increased numbers of people hunting the bow seasons with crossbows????  ;)

Geeze, is steve rubbing off on you?

if the goal is to improve the herd and reduce pressure introducing xbows or any other implement won't solve the problem

Look at what Illinois does - they spread the season out with breaks in between the season - starts with bow, then there are two guns seasons with a break in between the gun seasons, then another break and then muzzelloader, then another break and a late bow season - i went out there for the late bow (1st week of january) and saw tons of deer because they weren't spooked with continous pressure

No WNY, its quite simple,here is an example, if gun hunters kill 200000 deer and out of that 160000 are killed the first weekend, who is going to kill the other 40,000 when bow hunters only account for roughly 30,000 deer now. I highly doubt that you can flood the woods with enough crossbow hunters to get the job done.