Thoughts on this scent?

First-light

It's a link for preorbital scent NOT urine.

Might work for some situations.

I know of a few summer "scrapes" that pop up every year that have no signs of pawing the earth or urinating below the licking branch, BUT there IS a licking branch.

Come fall, these are always some of the first scrapes to open up so it may work well for pre seasoning positioning of scrapes where you need them, but I've never tried it.

Durring season you can accomplish the same thing by clipping the licking branches from scrapes in other areas and hanging them where you want them.

Does one ever wonder...if they aren't stating they have only a limited supply ,not knowing how much a harvested(so non producing) gland can render...how many "harvested" deer could they possible have to be able to sell to the "nets' general public?  Is there a business that travels to butchers and taxidermist just to collect glands? ...Do butchers and taxidermist have time for such things during their busy season? How do you think that works?

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Does one ever wonder...if they aren't stating they have only a limited supply ,not knowing how much a harvested(so non producing) gland can render...how many "harvested" deer could they possible have to be able to sell to the "nets' general public?  Is there a business that travels to butchers and taxidermist just to collect glands? ...Do butchers and taxidermist have time for such things during their busy season? How do you think that works?

That kinda goes along with the...One deer, One bottle..Yeah right, I have watched that truck pull off a deer scent farm stocked full of 55 gallon drums full of urine headed back to the bottling company!

• Like 1

It probably wouldn't hurt. But chemical (pheromone) messaging is a complex endeavor, and sometimes might create the opposite of the intent (dominant buck scent may spook away less dominant bucks, etc.)

I like to move the overhanging branches over scrapes (either visible or not,) and noticed about 10 years ago on my trail cams that both bucks and does had 90% of their attention focused on the branch and the ground. Since then I have been experimenting with moving the overhanging branch from one area to influence the rut in my hunting spots. I think the major glandular vehicle is saliva and not other excretions - just from thousands of observations of videos and jpgs of bucks and does at scrapes.

http://www.galesburg.com/article/20100104/News/301049974

http://www.eveningtribune.com/videos/ID:2983690779001/Video:8-point%20buck%20at%20zip-tied%20overhanging%20branch

I just want to know how they get them individual matching glands from buck to bottle?

how do you get matching swimmers in a straw?

...we don't need to know the process and simply accept it. couldn't help but comment sorry. lol

I don't see why it wouldn't work other than a little guy knowing it came from maybe a likely bigger buck than him, like Buckstopshere said.  if it can even work that way.  I've never seen a deer work or visit a scrape and not touch the overhanging branch.  if I were a deer and discovered scent on the ground but nothing on the branch I'd seem odd.  I've seen activity drop completely off both real and mock scrapes after the branch has been broke on the ground or unreachable from use.

how do you get matching swimmers in a straw?

...we don't need to know the process and simply accept it. couldn't help but comment sorry. lol

Really, Do you need the 'Talk' again?    I guess if you really believe they have 1 buck 1 bottle going on you will keep them in business a long time.

Truth be known, There is probably no part of any whitetail in that bottle...Alive or Dead!

Really, Do you need the 'Talk' again?    I guess if you really believe they have 1 buck 1 bottle going on you will keep them in business a long time.

Truth be known, There is probably no part of any whitetail in that bottle...Alive or Dead!

no I don't.  in all honesty the one buck in a bottle doesn't sell me.  I don't really use scents that often anyway.  in the last decade I've actually only used some to start mock scrapes and that's about it.  the 1 deer 1 bottle doesn't even matter at that point as their will be scent from multiple deer there anyway.

My question is how do you collect enough pre-orbital scent from the deer to have enough to market on a national basis. What do they do, walk up to a farm raised deer and pinch its face until the goo flies out of their glands? Seriously, am I the only one that wonders these things? ...... lol.

• Like 2

From the ad: "The ingredients of Smokey’s gland lures are proprietary, but are extracted from the pre-orbital, tarsal interdigital, and forehead glands taken from harvested deer, and processed to enhance and retain the properties of the scent ." So I would be pretty sure that there is a percentage of real whitetail gland in the bottle...but what percentage?

On food labels, the FDA allows all kinds of misleading wording, such as when the label reads "contains Real Fruit" might have one grape in 100,000 bottles, still legal. Buyer Beware. Read the label.

The ad reads that it is "processed to enhance." It's a safe bet that there is an unspecified amount chemistry beyond actual glands in the bottle too.

But at least it is getting away from the "estrus rut lure" craze and focusing on what is important at the scrape...the overhanging branch.

^ spot on^ do a google search on licking branches and use a rake to open the area up below. Do it in sept and you'll never have to do it again. Scents are not needed. Deer live and die by their noses and this stuff would be like you walking into your house and smelling someone else cologne and noting footprints through the kitchen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just about anything works on licking branch for pictures or nighttime activity but getting a mature buck to visit during daytime  while your in a tree 20 yds away is another question........ 

Agreed, but just seeing a mature buck at 20 yards during hunting season in NY is very rare. But setting up near a licking branch, or an overhanging branch hugely increases the odds, not only for "a mature buck" but expect to witness a parade of smaller bucks and does.

• 2 weeks later...