Camo Patterns

Five Seasons

i used to wear mossy oak breakup but then figured out it was too dark.  was a dark blob at distance.  the HD camo these days is specialized with all the detail but going more and more to the lighter more open side of things.  i don't seem to have a problem with Realtree camo.  i have noticed lighter camo in dark conifer stands doesn't work the best.  i do have seclusion winter camo coverups that i wear when snow is abundant and that works disgustingly well.  as a kid i made original treebark camo work darn well, but in hind sight i always hunted on the ground at the base of a big tree.  I've been within steps of deer with maybe half a dozen different camo patterns.  i don't think any of it really sucks. it's just using what matches your surroundings best and don't move so much.

• Like 3

i used to wear mossy oak breakup but then figured out it was too dark.  was a dark blob at distance.  the HD camo these days is specialized with all the detail but going more and more to the lighter more open side of things.  i don't seem to have a problem with Realtree camo.  i have noticed lighter camo in dark conifer stands doesn't work the best.  i do have seclusion winter camo coverups that i wear when snow is abundant and that works disgustingly well.  as a kid i made original treebark camo work darn well, but in hind sight i always hunted on the ground at the base of a big tree.  I've been within steps of deer with maybe half a dozen different camo patterns.  i don't think any of it really sucks. it's just using what matches your surroundings best and don't move so much.

That is the key right there. Don't move so much! It does not matter what camo you use if you are adjusting your hat, swatting at bugs, standing up and sitting down, whipping your head around with every noise you hear, the deer will pick up that movement every time. I hunt 90 percent from the ground now, mix and match light, dark, and different patterns depending where I'm going to set up. I don't get too concerned about the camo, as just sitting still and being quiet will make a bigger difference. And if still hunting, same thing. Move slow! When you think you are moving too slow, move slower. Pause by a tree or brush to break up your outline. You are doing it right, when you see them before they see you on a consistent basis.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

That is the key right there. Don't move so much! It does not matter what camo you use if you are adjusting your hat, swatting at bugs, standing up and sitting down, whipping your head around with every noise you hear, the deer will pick up that movement every time. I hunt 90 percent from the ground now, mix and match light, dark, and different patterns depending where I'm going to set up. I don't get too concerned about the camo, as just sitting still and being quiet will make a bigger difference. And if still hunting, same thing. Move slow! When you think you are moving too slow, move slower. Pause by a tree or brush to break up your outline. You are doing it right, when you see them before they see you on a consistent basis.

Like this way of thinking..

• 2 weeks later...

No separate camo patterns for me. I just go with the Mossy Oak camo I bought 10 years ago. Deer do not seem to see me with it on. With the camo, I have harvested 3 good bucks with the bow at a total of 20 yards. Guess I'll stick with what works.

Camo made for specific region, as the OP posted is a strange marketing stragity. Why limit your sales potential to one area?

well it look pretty dumb wearing leaves and trees in the desert.. even the military has desert,woodland,urban,and jungle camo...

feels good when I shoot a deer in it's bed.... each one I've done that way it was well within bow range.  that's only with snow or wet ground in the woods.  open field doesn't happen often needs to be very hilly and/or have broken edges opposed to a classic straight edged rectangular field.