Climbing stand setup

SCbklyn

Got a summit climber few year back and am determined to use it this season. I have set it up a few times just practicing. I'm not fast at it and I make a friggin ruckus in the process. How do you guys set these things up in the dark and quietly? I'm worried about spooking game.

The three most successful hunters I know (both in quantity AND quality) hunt exclusively from a Summit Climber.

Hang on, I'll type that again in bold......

THE THREE MOST SUCCESSFUL HUNTERS I KNOW (BOTH IN QUANTITY AND QUALITY) HUNT EXCLUSIVELY FROM A SUMMIT CLIMBER.

They aren't built any different than you and me.  One leg at a time is how their pants go on, if you know what I mean.

I hunt out of a Treewalker climber now and wouldn't take a three Summits for my one TW stand, even if you sweetened the deal with a hundred dollar bill so it ain't the stand.  I kill my fair share of deer and don't even come close to the three mentioned above, quantity or quality.

They make noise going up and going down, BFD.  Trust me, they are effective as hell................. :)

I have shot my biggest to date a 120 inch deer from my summit climber 5 yrs. ago and i royally messed up on a high 130 class buck 2 years ago from my climber he caught me at the tail end of drawing my bow. when you are standing right at the tree setting them up and climbing you swear you are making tons of noise when really your not that loud. I hunt from ladders also and when I know I will be using my climber I go in a full extra half hour  early just for setting up vs. my ladder stands and the best thing you can do for early dark 30 set ups is a head lamp to wear so both hands are free I like the ones with red lights so your night vision comes back faster.

• Like 1

I've hunted out of hang ons for over 15 years. Last year I used a climber only on public land and holy cow was I bummed at first.

First things first, you need to realize there are pros and cons to climbers and the biggest pro is flexability, the biggest con is noise and weight. I started with a cheap field and stream steel. It wasn't safe and it was heavy. I used a summit sd all last year and by the end of the season I had it down.

Practice packing and unpacking. You'll soon get good at it, but at first it's a nightmare. I've got clever with straps and padding to help not make noise. The occasional clank even with their sound deadening tech is still inevitable.

Realize that climbing the tree is best done slowly. Taking your time to limit sweat and noise is safer and you'll feel better going a little higher.

Make sure you have a good headlamp. You can't climb or unpack with a flashlight in one hand.

Practice on a tree in your yard or state land. When I pick out a tree for the first time to hunt I always try to hunt it in the evening first. I've picked out trees and missed potential issues that you just dont want to fuss with in the dark.

Most importantly, buy one of these: http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/hss-reflective-lifeline/

it can be used with any harness. I don't loop the tree till I'm a couple climbs up, but it's just not worth messing around with your life.

• Like 1

I think practicing with it many times will help out alot as well.  We practice extensively with our bows...why not with our climbers?  If you can get the stand set up and ready to go(as in how you want it to be while sitting in a tree) before hand thats a big help.  OR get used to set up and take down, then work on the finer details(bow hanger, hoist rope location, etc etc.)  Also take it out in the yard if you have an adequate tree, and set it up and take it down a few times, get familiar with your equipment so that it starts to become second nature  I plan on doing just that, I just got a Summit Viper Mini, and I upgraded the carry straps to MOLLE gear.  My plan is to get my gear pockets situated, get my stabilizer straps pre-mounted, get my tether rope set to the length between upper and lower section...and carry it to my maple tree in my yard, and proceed to un-pack it, attach it to the tree, and take it back down and pack it up.  Its like working the bugs out of equipment.  Plus, you can see and hear what the stand does...if you have a small spot that connects metal on metal, glue a thin piece of rubber or felt on that one spot, it will quiet things down. 

ArcheryTalk.com in the DIY forum section has tons of old posts on things others do to tweak or quiet down climber stands.

Food for Thought.

Practice practice practice. Slow down, pay attention to everything you are doing and you will get it. One thing I did when I had mine was to add some camo tape to certain areas where the two pieces touch to quiet things down. I also had a bungee cord that was tied to the platform that held the two sections nice and tight while I had it on my back walking in or out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed a few practice climbs yesterday before my trip bak to the city. Made some modifications to the stand by removing the summit rapid climbers and adding a good ole rubber tie down strap for my feet. Also added the third hand archery straps and the third hand archery bow holder.

I think I was quiet for the most part and setting the climber up went smoothly. Still wouldn't try climbing in the dark yet. My biggest issue is packing the thing up. I got college but apparently not enough to pack up a climbing stand.

I have two summits..those are pretty much all I use. As far as setting up quietly …its hard. I usually set up ahead of time and leave it. If I decide to move the stand, I do it at the end of a hunt and come back to it for the next hunt, so things calm down.

The more you use it the quieter you will be. I have been using them a long time and I can climb pretty quiet. 

As far as packing your stand…put the seat on the ground with the "forks"(the part that grab the tree) pointing away from you. Then slide the base "forks" away from you, onto the seat. The forks of the base should be about 3" above the forks of the seat. Use the seat strap to wrap the angle arms of the seat and base together and tighten..Done

Take way my car, take my house, hell take away the sweets, but know one better ever take away my Summit. I have the model with the rubber band foot holders. Sure was nice to update to the plastic foot holder. Only trouble I do have is their small for my boots. Made for small feet people or something.

One word of caution though. Make sure tie a rope from the seat to the foot platform. I didn't, one day and was stuck in the tree for two days before the misses sent the dog out lookin for me.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 2

I have a Summit and love it (didn't mean to rhyme ) I don't kill big deer every year but some nice ones go in the freezer every year. I also hunt from a ladder stand. In years past I've gone dark to dark 4 and 5 days in a row in the climber. It's far more comfortable than my ladder stand.

Buy yourself a climbing vest and toss the lifeline idea. Houdini couldn't get into that harnass thing in the dark. A couple of quick snaps of a few buckles and you're in the vest. DO NOT use a climber without some sort of life support system.

Good "how to " packing the stand by Ants .

I have to walk a good mile and a half to where I'd usually set it up so I throw my outer jacket, hat,gloves in my backpack. I'll then strap on the climber with back pack to the stand. No sense of sweating on the way in and freezing once up the tree. Once I get to my set up I'll tether a cord to my back pack, one to my firearm and lay both right along my tree. Now attaching both cords to the front of my harnass. Take it slow, it's a workout with a bunch of gear on. Once I get to the desired height I'll strap the carry strap around the stand to make it more secure. I then sit and hoist up my back pack and strap it around my tree and or use a screw in peg. . Next, comes up the gun. The more you use the climber the better you'll get at it and appreciate it. I typically use a red lens flashlight to get everything set up before my climb. Climb in the dark. Oh ya, make sure you don't have to go #2 before you climb up :rolleyes:  And nothing better than peeing your name in the snow from 25 feet up. I always have an extra gloves in my back pack as "oopsy" There goes a glove overboard happens.

Take way my car, take my house, hell take away the sweets, but know one better ever take away my Summit. I have the model with the rubber band foot holders. Sure was nice she they update to the plastic ones.

One word of caution though. Make sure tie a rope from the seat to the foot platform. I didn't, one day and was stuck in the tree for two days before the misses sent the dog out lookin for me.

LOL. At least yours would send out the search patrol for you.

• Like 1