Cougars in NYS

Doc

No, I didn't see one .... lol. But off in the future??? .... Who knows. According to the latest NYON issue, it appears that there is a group in our state called Protect the Adirondacks who were very disappointed that the DEC's draft wildlife action plan did not include a study of possible re-introduction of wolves and panthers.

Now there is something that we need in the state ... wolves and cougars. Hopefully some of these groups like The Cougar Rewilding Foundation, never get any traction here in NYS, but with the current strange DEC notions on deer population management, who knows what kinds of weird things they might be starting to favor as deer herd population control.....lol.

Wrong D-Bone they need to release them on LI especially in the spots where people complain the most about this lion killed in Africa.  This was requested by the locals in Africa who live with lions.  They said how about you live with a 500lbs cat and see how you like it.  (They said a150lbs mountain lion would do for now.) 

We will begin to release them in areas with deer problems, starting with the Hamptons, and will release the 150lbs wolves on the north fork somewhere in the Mattituck area.  We will keep the animals in the area to keep the deer population low but a few people and pets might be in harms way.  Simply put people will need to get indoors at night from now on until this issue is resolved or the cats and wolves are removed, just like in Africa.  

If you live in these area's I will advise you to keep your animals inside from now on.  (We will release them later tonight from the local zoo, two pet stores and one rehab facility.)  15 total, 10 wolves and 5 mountain lions.  

We? I'll have you know that I have never shot a wolf or a cougar, as I'm sure most people here haven't either.

I have in fact taken many a shot at a cougar , the gym's crawling with them mid morning!

• Like 1

but with the current strange DEC notions on deer population management, who knows what kinds of weird things they might be starting to favor as deer herd population control.....lol.

Not sure if any of this is strange, but I think this would interest you:

http://wildlife.org/ignite-tws-david-drake-and-scott-hygnstrom/

Edited by mike rossi

An acquaintance of mine from WI/MN texted me this morning "That feeling when your cell cam hasn't texted you a pic in 24 hours...."

Meaning, he thought the cam was boosted by a trespasser or something was wrong with it. It dragged on long enough that went out there to check 35 min drive one way. Cam worked fine - he swiped his hand in front of the cam and had a pic in a minute. 

Then he noticed the wolf tracks on the way back to the truck. A quick check of another cam got a pack of three moving through. 

It's like dropping an anti-deer grenade when they come through...he still hasn't gotten a pic of a deer yet, now going on almost 48 hours - in a spot where not one, but two 140" plus bucks were showing up daily.

Wolves are neat animals, and in all honesty, I'd love to hunt one someday. But, I also have a tremendous amount of sympathy for deer hunters who have them move in. I don't want a thing to do with them in my area.

• Like 3

With human encroachment over the landscape, may not be wise to re-introduce the wolf. Let's find ways to keep and improve upon what we have.

I agree.

If they come back on their own that's one thing. But to put them here and see what happens isn't great idea. Or cougars.

It does seem like there I a whole lot of thought being given these days in ways to establish non-hunting ways of controlling wildlife populations. We have always felt very secure in the thought that hunting is needed to reliably control populations of various species. But now it seems that hunters are not up to the task. Hunter numbers are slipping. Hunter enthusiasm and effort may also be slipping and now we have documentation that some areas are not being controlled.

And so it has occurred to me that society is now looking at hunting as a necessary evil to be put up with only until an acceptable alternative is found. There seems to be a lot of people working on these alternative ways, and perhaps it is just a matter of time before they find, or think they have found, a population management technique that works better than hunters. Is the tolerance and even protection of coyotes part of this? Is this crazy talk about introducing mountain lions and wolves part of this as well? I have heard that the efficiency of these critters is pretty high, particularly when it comes to cervids. Maybe they are more efficient than we hunters are.