How would hunt this land?

BizCT

See attached pic. Red Area is 7.5 acres border farm lands. Blue line is a narrow creek (you can jump across it). Main road is a dirt/gravel road. I haven't walked the land, but will be this weekend. My dad walked the land although pretty heavy right now, but found several heavy used deer trails.

Separately, if you were to put in a food plot, where would you do it? up against the farmlands or in the middle of the property?

Thanks in advance.

post-871-0-71655700-1441298566_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-55068200-1441298673_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-52634800-1441298680_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-19569600-1441298685_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with nixing the food plot idea.  Its only 7.5 acres with fields to west and south (assuming N is top of photo).  Creek may provide a funnel but without boots on the ground, its tough to tell as its close to the road - should be some crossing areas that are worth a look. Assuming predominate SW wind, I would consider stand in woods near inside corner of field (NW corner of red area) (also depends on crop) and stands N and E of thick areas in the interior where indicated by clear deer trails.  I assume one or two sits and you will know where they travel since its a small parcel.  Look for bedding areas when you scout too.  Good luck and make good shots so you don't have to track off the property.

• Like 3

yep screw the food plot and do scouting and stand setup quick as possible.  in and out.  seems like good habitat for browse.  looks pretty flat.  first figure out access walk the road or creek to get N and S.  look for any bedding that could get you busted on the way in and determine where you need to come in from.  next go in deeper and look for an intersection of multiple trails.  also look for maybe a trending row of mast producing trees like apple, oak, etc.  if you have to, work backwards from the field edge.  if you've got fishing waders spray them down and wear them.  looks like an early season evening stand.  if you've got a new moon you might check a buck late to bedding in the mornings but evening would probably be your best bet.  who knows.  also like moog said good shots unless you know you'll have permission to track on adjacent properties.  stick to the bottom 1/3 and aim for the heart.  center mass lungs might let it go a ways.

• Like 2

All makes sense. The Farmer who owns 1,000 of acres (not a typo) would allow us to recover on his property, but not hunt it. He currently leases it out to a gun club. I agree with your suggestions based on the pictures and what my Dad has relayed to me regarding sitting in the NW corner. We have never used treestands before, but would be allowed to do so here. So by using one, we would be able to see a lot of ground since its mostly flat/rolling hills.

My Dad also spoke with the landowner across the street who doesn't hunt, but in the event a deer cross the gravel road, we would be allowed to recover there also. He said it is impossible to drive this gravel road at night and not see a deer. He also seen bear (no season in CT), coyotes, fox, bobcat, etc.

Lastly, this area of CT does not allow baiting but does provide for 6 tags per person. 2 either sex and 2 antlerless during bow (9/15 - 12/31) and 1 either sex and 1 antlerless during gun season (mid/late Nov into Dec. - don't know exact dates off the top of my head). Since we don't care about does, it would essentially mean 3 buck tags each.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with a quick scout and stand set up.  Its small so go scent free as possible and get it done ASAP.   Good luck with it, looks like a nice spot.  I would not bother with a food plot it looks like a great travel area.  Middle would be my choice if I had to.

• Like 2

Looks like it could be a good spot! I noticed a small clearing at about 10 oclock on the property. With a NW wind, set up on the east or southeast side of that little clearing and you may catch deer moving in the pinch point between you and the open field. Some good info in the prior posts too. Best of luck to ya!

• Like 1

Hunt it smart and low impact this season- learn their tendencies. Hinge cut for better bedding browse or passage to enhance your ability to get in and out and out them in range. If you hunt this hard- one guy more this once a week- you're hunting prayers and luck. 9 tags or 50 tags set a goal on what you want- because if you're trying to kill 9 bucks or 3 bucks or one mature buck on this ground each year your learning curve is about to get in a head on crash with reality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does the farmer who owns 1,000 acres have his property right next to the one you are looking to hunt? If so you may have an awesome spot once gun season rolls around as well because of the pressure that might come from the gun club.

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the creek the only source of water thats on that property? if it is find a heavy trail from the corn field to the creek and hunt it, look for rubs and scrapes, wear scent eliminator to walk through the property don't want to disturb the area too much, those deer will love those pencil tree lines in the fields to travel. 

• Like 1

Is the creek the only source of water thats on that property? if it is find a heavy trail from the corn field to the creek and hunt it, look for rubs and scrapes, wear scent eliminator to walk through the property don't want to disturb the area too much, those deer will love those pencil tree lines in the fields to travel. [/quote

It may very well be. I'll check Monday when I go.

IMO set cams up on the deer trails. Where I hunt I had set my stand up over some incredibly used trails. First 5 days of dark to dark I saw zero deer. I then bought a cam and set it. All those trails were only being used at night.  Obviously you already know this but I was so sure I'd shoot a deer quickly into the season just by all the trails.

• Like 1

Walked the land today. Super heavy, couldn't even get thru some spots. Will walk it again in mid October. I'm too busy to hunt it anyway 9/15 - probably November. Found the farm fields but they don't appear to be any sort of crops. Found some really old wooden tree stands. Within a mile or so are several big corn fields.

I did find some nice deer trails with prints but not much poop or buck rubs.