Trespasser tree stand found

catskillkid

I checked on the area again this past weekend. The stand is still where I placed it on the other side of the wall. I'm sure the person has not returned since I removed the stand. He will be in for a let down when he looks for it in the dark on opening morning.

Hum, what tree did I put that darn stand in, why can't I find it?   :resent:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I found a tree stand on the adjacent property to mine that I am buying. It was last weekend, no one has permission to hunt this property but me. The person cut a small tree down and some limbs. I took the stand down and placed it at the bottom of the tree with a posted sign on it. Hope he gets the message. 

I've got a very convenient place to hunt behind house. This one guy last year ask my neighbor farmer (friend) if he could flatten a small area of corn near his stand and would pay for it. Farmer told him NO. So I'm in stand one day as neighbor comes by and finds about a 100x100 square of corn all trampled near this guys stand. Luckily he know me and son well enough that wasn't us. Guy was fined by dec and kicked off property. Now I got whole place to self. Adjacent lot about 400 acres farm land, hemlocks and hardwoods I was able to hunt on one year deer all over. Then they grant permission to a local puke and next we know this guy brings like 20 of his buddies out. Now for last two years no one can hunt property. Been trying two years in a row offering to help on farm post land ect. Maybe next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck on this one. These cases end up with nobody being a winner. Hopefully, your prize is not missing tree stands.

Or worse case a disgruntled fellow hunter who takes it out on you.

Like you said there is no winners and I'm not going to spend my hunting season looking for trespassers.

Or worse case a disgruntled fellow hunter who takes it out on you.

Like you said there is no winners and I'm not going to spend my hunting season looking for trespassers.

Yup happened to me. We have a hunting shack that my grandfather uses during gun season. The neighbor gave a guy permission to hunt his land. No problem until he put up a tree stand 20 feet from our shooting shack. Close enough for me to pee on it (the bottom obviously). Not to mention he also put it about 10' into the hedgerow cutting every tree in front of the stand 6" and smaller. We took the stand down and put it in our barn waiting for when he came back. We told him that isn't how we hunt around here and next time he wont be getting it back. He walked our property trashed several stands and stole one other. Complete trash.

Don't jump a guys spot because "you heard big deer are around here."

Edited by chas0218

Yup happened to me. We have a hunting shack that my grandfather uses during gun season. The neighbor gave a guy permission to hunt his land. No problem until he put up a tree stand 20 feet from our shooting shack. Close enough for me to pee on it (the bottom obviously). Not to mention he also put it about 10' into the hedgerow cutting every tree in front of the stand 6" and smaller. We took the stand down and put it in our barn waiting for when he came back. We told him that isn't how we hunt around here and next time he wont be getting it back. He walked our property trashed several stands and stole one other. Complete trash.

I read this and can understand your frustration, but if I'm reading this correctly he has permission and the same right you have to hunt this property,, what you did before he trashed your stands is actually called hunter harassment and is breaking the law..

Anyone that would put a stand within 20 feet of another hunters existing stand whether they have permission or not has got to be a total Ahole.  One time I had a guy climb up one of my ladder stands and place a hang on stand 10' above it in the same tree and then not understand why I was angry!  The night before opening day I just removed my ladder stand, I hope he planned on going to that stand opening morning.  I also had another guy drag one of my semi permanent hunting blinds to a completely different location and set it up as his own.  I just don't understand why some people think they can just do whatever they want with other peoples things... 

Anyone that would put a stand within 20 feet of another hunters existing stand whether they have permission or not has got to be a total Ahole. One time I had a guy climb up one of my ladder stands and place a hang on stand 10' above it in the same tree and then not understand why I was angry! The night before opening day I just removed my ladder stand, I hope he planned on going to that stand opening morning. I also had another guy drag one of my semi permanent hunting blinds to a completely different location and set it up as his own. I just don't understand why some people think they can just do whatever they want with other peoples things...

You moved someone else's property that had just as much right to be there as yours. "Ahole" or not you broke the law not him. Don't like dealing with other people hunting where you hunt buy or lease your own.

Anyone that would put a stand within 20 feet of another hunters existing stand whether they have permission or not has got to be a total Ahole. One time I had a guy climb up one of my ladder stands and place a hang on stand 10' above it in the same tree and then not understand why I was angry! The night before opening day I just removed my ladder stand, I hope he planned on going to that stand opening morning. I also had another guy drag one of my semi permanent hunting blinds to a completely different location and set it up as his own. I just don't understand why some people think they can just do whatever they want with other peoples things...

Was the tree stand there with permission and you moved it? Someone moved your blind?

Let's get something straight, I didn't move anyone else's stuff but my own.  Let's work on reading comprehension folks...  I'm not the original person you where responding to, I'm just stating my opinion (like you are) as well as personal experiences.  And for the record, I have PLENTY of my own land that I own as well as lease.

• Like 1

You moved someone else's property that had just as much right to be there as yours. "Ahole" or not you broke the law not him. Don't like dealing with other people hunting where you hunt buy or lease your own.

What " someone else's property " did he move ?

If I am reading this correct "we took the stand down and put it in the barn" he's talking about the other guys stand correct? Edited by Buckmaster7600

I read this and can understand your frustration, but if I'm reading this correctly he has permission and the same right you have to hunt this property,, what you did before he trashed your stands is actually called hunter harassment and is breaking the law..

No he "had" permission on my neighbors property. They had previously kicked him off but he didn't care and trespassed anyway.

• Like 1

You don't mention anything about him being kicked off the neighbors property or trespassing ,, only the neighbor gave him permission and it was no problem till him moved into what,, as it reads is common space.. Which is it ???

How is it hunter harassment when he put a tree stand on our land he didn't have permission to be on? I said he was into the hedgerow on our property. That alone warranted me taking down his stand, I had no intention of keeping it and did not damage his property in anyway although possession is 9 tenths of the law and according to the local law enforcement I could have. Later that week when I found my stand missing I called me neighbor and he said no one had permission from that season to be on his property and they had previously kicked him off.  The below is not addressed to you. Just how I feel about a situation I had.

So yes he was trespassing on our property and neighbors. The neighbor had given him permission in the past. Property lines are property lines when you cross them 1' or 100' you are still crossing them and need permission. That is how I hunt and conduct myself with other peoples property and expect other people to do the same being the law and all.

I get a kick out of people "its just a little on someone else's property" when did they start to pay taxes on someone else's property or maintain that property. My family has worked hard for what we have and don't appreciate people that try to take advantage of others.

Edited by chas0218

You don't mention anything about him being kicked off the neighbors property or trespassing ,, only the neighbor gave him permission and it was no problem till him moved into what,, as it reads is common space.. Which is it ???

He gave him permission, I didn't say he had permission to be there...