QDM is ruining deer hunting

fingerlakesfur

Here is biggest problem with qdm in the us and nys in general, the deer are not yours!! They belong to the,state!!

Way to much you hear my deer, or the neighbor shot my buck, or I work hard for my deer. If you can leave behind the mentality of them being yours and think of them as a general resource. Then qdm makes sense. No one like being told what to do on their own property but that is what the state is doing with the game, deer ,turkey and small game. But who knows your property better than you? What it can hold, produce ,and how you manage it within the confines of the state laws..

That is why you hear people complain about what can be shot, what is legal, ect.

That's all because of the antlers. No other animal gets people jelous like whitetail do. You never hear someone say that their neighbors shot "their" turkey or rabbit or duck or goose. Just they shot my deer. Because if the antlers. At the end of the day it is just a deer. And that's how people need to view them, they are just deer.

• Like 1

I think you're trapped in your own little world. This comes from a self admitted horn junky. 90% of those who buy tags maybe only sit a weekend or 2. They're happy with any deer. They would prefer a nice big buck of course but aren't going to lose sleep. They're not going to do a lot of work on their 1 or 2 ladder stands. They're not buying the latest greatest gear and they're happier having a good drink the night before at camp and sleeping in if it happens.

The 10% or less that you're referring too is dedicated and skilled enough that they have no problem shooting nice bucks even on pressured land. So out of 200k tags sold your population is maybe 20k looking for big bucks. These 20k have serious money invested in the sport and they'll be just fine.

I believe you are correct in your thinking but way off on your numbers. But the bottom line it is still all about the antler and inches. Thats why the food plots, Thats why the land improvements, Thats why the leased locked up land. All a labor of love with the thoughts and reasoning of hoping to kill the biggest buck on the place. If not then nothing would be done. Anybody worth their shells can walk in the woods and find any deer to kill. No diff in Ohio or any other state. The best land is ate up with high dollars trying to add up high scores.

I believe you are correct in your thinking but way off on your numbers. But the bottom line it is still all about the antler and inches. Thats why the food plots, Thats why the land improvements, Thats why the leased locked up land. All a labor of love with the thoughts and reasoning of hoping to kill the biggest buck on the place. If not then nothing would be done. Anybody worth their shells can walk in the woods and find any deer to kill. No diff in Ohio or any other state. The best land is ate up with high dollars trying to add up high scores.

I still don't think it's as easy as you think. I have private land where a blind man could kill a doe any day. Public land is different. I can speak to hunting it for the first time last year. It's a lot of work and not easy. So the avearge joe, who is most of the tag buyers whether you believe it or not, does not shoot a big buck every year and is happy as pie with his scrub 6. more power to him.

• Like 2

Will hunting primarily become an activity of the rich? ..... Probably. A glance at some of the other areas of the world seems to indicate that ownership of large contiguous chunks of land eventually settle into the hands of fewer and fewer people, and those people generally find a way to capitalize from their holdings. Nope, it won't happen in my lifetime, although I have seen the beginnings of it. I have personally watched a lot of acreage go behind high fence. I have seen people desperately locking up their land and maintaining hunting privileges strictly for themselves, and those that they choose to allow on their land.

How much is due to QDM in whole or in part? .... I think logic kind of tells you that there has to be some effect. Is the lack of land access apart of the demise of hunting and a problem for the recruitment and maintenance of the hunter population? ...... I don't think there are many who will argue that fact. So, again back to the original point of the thread, some of all this has to be factored into whether you believe that "QDM is ruining deer hunting".

My opinion is that the QDM mentality is just one of many factors all pointing in the same direction. That direction is that deer can only survive if humans take the reins and treat them like an agricultural endeavor. That endeavor can only succeed if the land is locked up and protected against all unregulated or uncontrolled outsiders. Where does that mentality lead when taken to an extreme? ..... That is yet to be seen, but those paying attention to some of the initial indicators might rightfully see some troubling signs. And perhaps that is part of what touched off the original poster's outburst.

Will hunting primarily become an activity of the rich? ..... Probably. A glance at some of the other areas of the world seems to indicate that ownership of large contiguous chunks of land eventually settle into the hands of fewer and fewer people, and those people generally find a way to capitalize from their holdings. Nope, it won't happen in my lifetime, although I have seen the beginnings of it. I have personally watched a lot of acreage go behind high fence. I have seen people desperately locking up their land and maintaining hunting privileges strictly for themselves, and those that they choose to allow on their land.

How much is due to QDM in whole or in part? .... I think logic kind of tells you that there has to be some effect. Is the lack of land access apart of the demise of hunting and a problem for the recruitment and maintenance of the hunter population? ...... I don't think there are many who will argue that fact. So, again back to the original point of the thread, some of all this has to be factored into whether you believe that "QDM is ruining deer hunting".

My opinion is that the QDM mentality is just one of many factors all pointing in the same direction. That direction is that deer can only survive if humans take the reins and treat them like an agricultural endeavor. That endeavor can only succeed if the land is locked up and protected against all unregulated or uncontrolled outsiders. Where does that mentality lead when taken to an extreme? ..... That is yet to be seen, but those paying attention to some of the initial indicators might rightfully see some troubling signs. And perhaps that is part of what touched off the original poster's outburst.

True words and all those words and sentiment boils down to what every hunter dreams of...Inches of Bone!    You can say i would take any deer or i am a meat hunter but for most hunters...and the ones that have money and means..every part of their being when it comes to hunting is the hope of killing the biggest buck they can. 

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

I have seen people desperately locking up their land and maintaining hunting privileges strictly for themselves, and those that they choose to allow on their land.

I have zero problem with someone "locking up their land". Some guys spend thousands on taxes, food plots and countless hours scouting, trimming etc.

For any hunter to criticize another (not saying you're doing that) for keeping his land to himself is just silly. It's liberal logic really. Hey I want what you have and worked hard for... "just because". Now losing land to build homes is capitalism at its finest and I still believe a lot of that is to do with how hard it is to make a living farming and the ever growing increase in population, urban sprawl etc. But those are things hunters really cant change... in fact i'd argue purchasing land solely to hunt (even if it's a select few with the privileged) is better than that land being turned into a walmart.

Edited by Belo

I don't see a problem with locking up land as long as there are enough hunters hunting the property to be beneficial to the habitat as far as deer take and sound management... and although it is ones right to own 1000 acres and keep it only to oneself... it does an injustice to real deer management. In the same respect it would be an injustice to have too many hunters on a smaller habitat. It would be nice to somehow find a balance somewhere in between. I'm sure self proclaimed QDMers can fall into any one of those categories. Someone, or a group, not taking into account all aspects of a good Quality Deer Management program is not really a QDMer at all.

• Like 4

I have zero problem with someone "locking up their land". Some guys spend thousands on taxes, food plots and countless hours scouting, trimming etc.

For any hunter to criticize another (not saying you're doing that) for keeping his land to himself is just silly. It's liberal logic really. Hey I want what you have and worked hard for... "just because". Now losing land to build homes is capitalism at its finest and I still believe a lot of that is to do with how hard it is to make a living farming and the ever growing increase in population, urban sprawl etc. But those are things hunters really cant change... in fact i'd argue purchasing land solely to hunt (even if it's a select few with the privileged) is better than that land being turned into a walmart.

My comment was not meant to indicate a rightness or wrongness to "locking up land". It is just an observation that I and apparently many others attribute to the steady decline of hunting. And I am saying that QDM may play some additional part in that limiting of access. I personally believe in the sanctity of landowner's rights, but I do remember a time when deer hunting was not driving the posting and in fact posted signs were a bit of an oddity. At that same time, hunting as an activity was on a growth curve. It has nothing to do with politics or liberals or conservatives ..... lol. It simply is an observation. Make of that what you want, but I think some of that may have had a part in the O.P. creating this thread.

• 2 months later...

I hunt in a state park, and they give out nuisance permits like candy. Guys come in, and blast little tiny does. I saw one guy shoot 3 does in a group. He had nuisance permits for all 3.

This is NYS, where the DEC says they want to increase the population of deer, but yet they give out DMAPs.

I hunt in a state park, and they give out nuisance permits like candy. Guys come in, and blast little tiny does. I saw one guy shoot 3 does in a group. He had nuisance permits for all 3.

This is NYS, where the DEC says they want to increase the population of deer, but yet they give out DMAPs.

what have you been reading? NYS wants to decrease doe. That hunter did exactly what that part wanted. I shot 2 doe out of 3 in a group on opening day. One was 80 lb. and delicious. shooting small non-breeder doe is one of the best things you can do on private land. Shooting breeder doe and letting small bucks walk is one of the best things you can do on overpopulated land.

• Like 1