QDM is ruining deer hunting

fingerlakesfur

QDM=I'M A DORK FOLLOWER

This is the downfall for deer hunting in NY

Skinny Land, The Outdoor Chanel & Current marketing make this impossible in NY...go to Iowa & leave the real NY outdoorsman alone

Most deer hunters I know go in the woods 3 times a year....& one of them is to check their stand the day before the season opens.

Tie up hundreds of acres of land with their city bucks so trappers & small game hunters cannot have any access because they "might" be out there on Thanksgiving

A lot of city people are losing their leases here in Central NY because THEY NEVER KILL ANY DEER...farmers call us all the time to come in & put a kill group together & fill some tags

I do my duty as a deer hunter in NY & fill my tags...I'm in the woods year round running traps, fishing, root hunting...you name it.

I am totally appalled at the attitude of NY deer hunters. Go out west & kill your trophy's...leave NY hunting to the real outdoorsman

Either you don't know what QDM is ar you're being facetious . QDM calls for the taking of does and letting the little bucks walk .

What is Quality Deer Management?

Quality Deer Management (QDM) is a management philosophy/practice that unites landowners, hunters, and managers in a common goal of producing biologically and socially balanced deer herds within existing environmental, social, and legal constraints. This approach typically involves the protection of most or all yearling bucks combined with an appropriate harvest of female deer to maintain a healthy population in balance with existing habitat conditions and hunter desires. This level of deer management involves the production of quality deer (bucks, does, and fawns), quality habitat, quality hunting experiences, and, most importantly, quality hunters.

QDM guidelines are formulated according to property-specific objectives, goals, and limitations. Participating hunters enjoy both the tangible and intangible benefits of this approach. Pleasure can be derived from each hunting experience, regardless if a shot is fired. What is important is the chance to interact with a well-managed deer herd that is in balance with its habitat. A side benefit is the knowledge that mature bucks are present in the herd – something lacking on many areas under traditional deer management. When a quality buck is taken on a QDM area, the pride can be shared by all property hunters because it was they who produced it by allowing it to reach the older age classes which are necessary for large bodies and antlers.

The QDM Philosophy

Increasingly, landowners, hunters, and wildlife managers across North America are embracing the QDM philosophy. This is evidenced by the increasing voluntary and regulatory implementation of QDM practices on private and public lands. Hunters are rethinking what constitutes a “quality” hunt and how they can make a positive contribution to the future of the deer herds they hunt.

Another benefit of QDM is increased hunter safety. By taking the time to positively identify each deer by sex and age, the likelihood of accidental shootings is even more remote than under current management methods. Hunters participating in QDM enjoy both the tangible and intangible benefits of this approach. Pleasure can be derived from each hunting experience regardless if a shot is fired or an animal is harvested.

What is important is the chance to interact with a well-managed deer herd that is in balance with its habitat. A side benefit is the knowledge that mature bucks are present in the herd – something lacking on many areas under traditional deer management. When a quality

• Like 2

I'm not gonna get in a pissing war here but I enjoy qmda. Guess what it not city folk either nor do I spend big bucks leasing lots of land. I think you need to differentiate qdm from horn hunters. To me qdm is about a healthy balance herd. I prefer filling my doe tags and passing up they typical smaller bucks in hopes for a larger one. JMO

• Like 5

I have to agree with First-light here. But, what does this mean;

A lot of city people are losing their leases here in Central NY because THEY NEVER KILL ANY DEER...farmers call us all the time to come in & put a kill group together & fill some tags

What exactly is a "kill group"? I read this twice, and the vision I get in my head is a bunch of people who have no clue about what hunting really is or what it means, blasting rounds with an AR just to 'kill' deer.

So this part makes no sense;

I am totally appalled at the attitude of NY deer hunters. Go out west & kill your trophy's...leave NY hunting to the real outdoorsman

• Like 1

Im all for QDM, Also 1 and Done, antler restrictions,earn a buck, Leave the little ones for future years, Harvest the older more mature animals, But what gets my panties in a knot is,

1. So called meat hunters, If you shoot a 35 pound button buck, How are you a meat hunter, A nice doe goes about 130 maybe bigger depending on location,

2. Land being tied up by people who lease and never hunt, Its rampant in my area, But its still the land owners choice.

3. The mistakes made by past hunters who did something wrong and now the land owner will not allow any body on their property, 

4.People who insist on shooting deer in the head, With arrows or bullets, The chance of wounding the animal is great, besides the lung, heart area is much larger of a target, 

5.Trespassers 

6.Poachers

7.Treestand thieves

Those are real problems, Too me;not "CITY FOLK"

• Like 3

I have to agree with First-light here. But, what does this mean;

What exactly is a "kill group"? I read this twice, and the vision I get in my head is a bunch of people who have no clue about what hunting really is or what it means, blasting rounds with an AR just to 'kill' deer.

So this part makes no sense;

Sounds like a case of some guys getting together and shooting some deer they don't have tags for. 

• Like 1

Just sounds like he is venting, I understand.  It can be frustrating.  We do need to get off the whole leave the bucks alone thing.  Not letting hunters that can actually take a second buck is stupid IMO.  Its the 5% and the other hunters just do not like anyone getting that lucky..   

Can we get deer in the 180-200 B&C range yes but it is hard for NY hunters to pass a beautiful 3.5 or older myself included.  Not all of us shoot 10-20+ bucks in our lives so seeing a deer with 10-12 points is enough for us to SHOOT, we age them after!  We just have too many hunters per area and many of those hunters would be proud of any 6 pt buck or doe.  Doing QDM on 4 adjoining properties still will not work if the farmer down the road shoots 30-40 doe every year and tells the hunters he does not care if they kill bucks so have at it.  Or the one neighbor invites his friend to fill the meat lockers and does not care about any QDM just meat, they shoot 3 spikes, 4 doe, a 4 pt and one 8pt buck all under 3.5 years old.  Sorry now I'm am venting, lol.

I will agree that the perception of qdm has become synonymous with trophy hunting, but that is not what it is, I believe they should change the name to total herd management and repost the ideas,and benifits it has,

The biggest problem with hunting right now is the mainstream media, ever deer that is shown is 130 plus,that's fine its a show, the average guy hunting 90% of deer taken in those trophy states is smaller same as ny, you just have the media eye on the Midwest and canada.. that Is what is ruining hunting the media influence of oh do this and there will be a huge buck behind every tree!

• Like 3