Where the heck are the squirrels

Borngeechee

In my area they have been hammering the hickories..I have been out three times and have shot 17 squirrels...

They will be feeding in the oaks also, especially in areas where there are no hickories or pignuts..

Keep in mind that in years when there is a heavy acorn crop the squirrels tend to be spread out more, because there is food everywhere...

They also tend to feed quite quietly in the tops of the oaks , unlike the frantic running and jumping from limb to limb that they do when feeding in hickories...Hunt very slowly, and be alert for subtle noises that might be made from squirrels moving in the treetops and cutting nuts...

It will get easier after the leaves start to drop and most of the nuts are on the ground..Lots more action on the ground then, with squirrels running around gathering fallen nuts..

• Like 5

Come sit in a lawn chair next to my shed and chicken coop. I shoot 2-5 every day!! I'm not really trying to hunt them either. I come outside to go to work and I have 4-5 of them trying to eat my chickens feed from their feeder or the corn I toss out for the chickens in their enclosed run. I use a Gamo air rifle and take at least 2 a day. There is just a ton of them around me this year.