letting go of my youth

sodfather

Well here is my story I just put up for sale my 2 snowmobiles for sale to use that money on a down payment for some hunting land. I'm 38 years old and have been riding sleds and racing for a while now and as of the last 2 years my heart isnt up for it. Now you may say what sleds can be worth to put money down on land but my one race sled has about 10 grand into it. I feel that me and my family will enjoy a nice get away anytime of the year vrs waiting for snow to fall and snowmobile trails to open. This deer hunting season I had a great time even though I was skunked and want to invest in something I can maybe enjoy with the whole family. Im sure alot of you guys will think it is a good move but guys on the snowmobile forums will say Im nuts, oh well we will see how things pan out, hopefully in my favor.

Life is full of choices my friend, myself i think you are a terrific father and a husband. You gave up something very near and dear to your heart so you and your family can have a good time. That is very commendable, not to many people would have done that. You may have made many memories on sleds, but think of all the memories you will make with your family while hunting and camping on your own property

I'm 38 years old and have been riding sleds and racing for a while now and as of the last 2 years my heart isnt up for it.

Things change in our lives. If your heart isn't really into riding and racing, the choice gets a whole lot more simple.

Do you have a chunk of land picked out yet?

I can relate sod, I sold my busa (motorcycle) last spring to buy a camper. That was one of the best things I ever did because we as a family get to enjoy our time together now and that is something I couldn't put a price tag on. As an added bonus you and I are less likely to die in some sort of speed related accident now by getting rid of the fast things. Good luck selling them and finding land!

From an investment point of view, the land is a better one.  The sleds, bikes, cars and other toys keep taking money that you never get back when you sell out.

Land will keep going up in value.  Besides the pleasure you get out of owning it, the value never goes down.  It's also good for a tax write off on the property taxes.

W.C. Fields once told a young investor, "Buy Land!  They ain't making any more of it!"

;)

From an investment point of view, the land is a better one.  The sleds, bikes, cars and other toys keep taking money that you never get back when you sell out.

Land will keep going up in value.  Besides the pleasure you get out of owning it, the value never goes down.  It's also good for a tax write off on the property taxes.

W.C. Fields once told a young investor, "Buy Land!  They ain't making any more of it!"

:)

Thats almost exactly what my dad told me, great points. Doc I dont have anything picked out yet or where to even where or what web site to look at for purchasing land. Anyone have any advise for a first timer.

Sold my boat when my fishing buddies dispersed and went in with my bro and uncle on land and 2 years, 3 nice bucks, a 1st bear with a bow, and 2 toms later it was an awesome desicion.  Plus Ive spent a few days in a tree with the wife she loved it and I have spots for the little guys picked out already and they like doing tree stand work.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this post is old but just a little update and venting. I sold 2 sleds so far and on my way to buying that piece of land I want, but my wife has a change of heart and wants to use that money to put an addition on our house >:D . I live in an area were my taxes are high enough and an addition will raise them big time . We dont need the extra room but it would be nice to have more space, but I really want a place to get away. I have put alot of time and money into those sleds and kinda think that money is mine to do with what I want. Sounds selfish but I cant help feeling that way it makes me so mad. For now the property search is sorta on hold and money in the bank but I need some new suggestions to run bye my wife to convince her land is the way to go. Its hard to walk these properties now with the snow but come spring I want to start looking again.

I can relate sod, I sold my busa (motorcycle) last spring to buy a camper. That was one of the best things I ever did because we as a family get to enjoy our time together now and that is something I couldn't put a price tag on. As an added bonus you and I are less likely to die in some sort of speed related accident now by getting rid of the fast things. Good luck selling them and finding land!

Doewhacker, had the same experience sold my bike a few years ago. Build a house upstate and ran out of room so I sold my bike and used the money toward a garage. Best investment I ever made. Only miss the bike on nice warm sunny days, but I get over it.

Dave

post-2024-131455413274_thumb.jpg