How Many Acres Do Think Is Enough To Hunt On?

DirtTime

LOL.. I wonder sometimes who you guys hunt with and who you know... almost everyone I know that hunts has an old time hunting type camp... no jealousy, no antler envy... sometimes a little friendly competition for that year's bragging rights, but mostly guys enjoying having a group of guys that share the same passion as they do... this forum and most trade shows I do are the only places in my "hunting world" that I see "antler envy" or the "look at me" attitude. I agree that things may be changing, but the old-time guys and hunting camps are still alive and well.

I based that off of what I see and read outside of my hunting world....I don't know anyone in my circle of hunting friends who have that problem, but sadly I have seen the old time hunting camps slowly disappearing.

My camp is only on 10 acres, but surrounded by several thousand. I have stands on my land, apples, and a food plot, which is a draw for the deer, allowing me to have a few stands to hunt . Most of the time though, I am on the  surrounding land.

If the  deer have reason to go on your land, it can be productive with only a tiny piece. We hunt a very small piece of land in the southern tier (about 2acres) that consistently produces, but the deer must move through it for bedding areas, corn, etc. as well as whenever locals move through the surrounding areas.

I  consider this shooting, not so much hunting. We haven't needed to adjust our stands in 25 years. sit long enough and you will get a shot. Not really hunting. I go there when I want meat in a hurry.

My camp allows me to hunt...look for and eval. changing deer sign, still hunt, etc. I prefer to go there to hunt. Really hunt, and that doesn't mean a guaranteed deer.

During gun season, our house is turned into the hunting camp. All the comforts of home ..... lol. Friends and relatives gather at the house with a few spending the night. Early in the morning, it's out the basement door and up the killer-hill we go. Not as many as there was a decade or two ago. We don't last forever, and the new ones are not coming on-board like they used to.

A 160? Same thing that happens when a 120 is shot or an 80. If a friendship or hunting buddy is proportionally related to the size of the rack to be had, it's not likely a friendship at all.

But if the scenario presented and I knocked down a 200" deer Moog or the other hunting partner shot first, that was a "lifetime buck," I'd probably be giving some major BS about how I have to do the dirty work for someone shooting low all the time or shoulder punching (depending on the partner, lol. I'm guilty of being known for a liver shot from time to time). Then I'd grab an antler and help him drag his buck out and we all celebrate and let the women in our lives know not to expect us home anytime soon.

I guess the allure of getting worked up over a big buck being shot by someone else in my group alludes me.

And, just as an FYI, we've already lived this a time or two with the amount of deer we are fortunate to shoot. It's a non-issue. I just feel like I need to respond when people question these scenarios in "general" or hypotheticals because it really make me wonder why hunters have a hard time with a scenario like this to begin with.

It's the difference between sitting in your stand, and seeing your hunting buddy walking up the trail to your stand at an odd time with a crap-eating grin on his face and thinking before he gets to you, "Oh man, I hope he got a big one," vs. "Oh man, I hope he didn't shoot my buck or the 160."

If you even wonder about the latter rather than only thinking the former, you really need to look within. Give me a break.

Do  you really question this happening? There's too many variables in play to go back and forth online here. A good campfire and a beer discussion though. Let me make it clear that my hunting relatives/party are not in this bunch. We love to see each other successful.

I do generally believe it mostly stems from frustration. If you've had a good few years then maybe it's no big deal (you being the finishing kill). If you've had a rough season or 2 and the hunter who took it (the wounder) has to build a new room for his mounts? It's jealousy and deer hunters aren't immune to it. Lets not kid that we are.

Edited by Belo

Do you really question this happening? There's too many variables in play to go back and forth online here. A good campfire and a beer discussion though. Let me make it clear that my hunting relatives/party are not in this bunch. We love to see each other successful.

I do generally believe it mostly stems from frustration. If you've had a good few years then maybe it's no big deal (you being the finishing kill). If you've had a rough season or 2 and the hunter who took it (the wounder) has to build a new room for his mounts? It's jealousy and deer hunters aren't immune to it. Lets not kid that we are.

No offense but I wouldnt want to share a camp with you. And I am sure vice versa. Even trying to come up with reasoning for it to happen just tells me that is not the kind of hunter I want to be around.

Do  you really question this happening? There's too many variables in play to go back and forth online here. A good campfire and a beer discussion though. Let me make it clear that my hunting relatives/party are not in this bunch. We love to see each other successful.

The jealousy is probably more apt to happen with a guy who doesn't have any close friends... and maybe there's a reason he doesn't. :)

Even as a young hunter I never got jealous.. maybe because I hunted with close friends and family. Everyone shared in the excitement.

My home spot I own 12 acres and I have permission to hunt the neighbors 27. Its usually just me, but at times me and one of my brothers and occasionally all three of us. When there is more than just one of us we are all in stands and plenty far apart for safe shots. I hunt the neighbors as I am the only one with permission and they hunt on mine. The back neighbor has 90 that I have permission to recover game if needed as they do on mine.

We have taken deer off here every year and I try to hunt it softly, no drives or wandering. I only push a spot if my old man is up to sit I would love to get him one more deer! I still hunt it too hard I think but we still keep seeing deer.

I have another spot owned by a buddy who lets me post and hunt it. This is about 40 acres but fewer stand spots just do to the high end of it is not real productive. We hunt 2-3 there as well.

If your stand hunting this works. Much still hunting would just kill these places.

If I had my choice I would like 50 acres backed up to thousands of acres of state land.

If I want to wander I go down the street about 3 miles to some state land or 50 miles south to Tully state land.

No offense but I wouldnt want to share a camp with you. And I am sure vice versa. Even trying to come up with reasoning for it to happen just tells me that is not the kind of hunter I want to be around.

The jealousy is probably more apt to happen with a guy who doesn't have any close friends... and maybe there's a reason he doesn't. :)

Even as a young hunter I never got jealous.. maybe because I hunted with close friends and family. Everyone shared in the excitement.

I think you're both totally missing my point. And that was only that it's possible and likely in many groups and within neighbors... and to just pretend it doesn't exist is silly.

I have great personal friends and small army of a family I hunt with and we do just fine. good natured ribbing, dragging and recovering as a team.

006_zpsa3023c41.jpg

I think you're both totally missing my point. And that was only that it's possible and likely in many groups and within neighbors... and to just pretend it doesn't exist is silly.

I have great personal friends and small army of a family I hunt with and we do just fine. good natured ribbing, dragging and recovering as a team.

006_zpsa3023c41.jpg

You are right I don't get your point. If its possible and likely, you are in the wrong group. Or you don't belong in a group. Period.

You are right I don't get your point. If its possible and likely, you are in the wrong group. Or you don't belong in a group. Period.

What is up your ass this morning? Are you seriously telling me you're so great and mighty you've never once had a tinge of jealousy? you've never once seen a nice car or house and wished you had that? Never once seen a lottery winner and wished it were you? Good lord man, all I'm saying is that hunters are not immune to it and you go off like I'm some dirt bag hunter who doesn't deserve to hunt with my own family?

Hope your day gets better. I'm headed to the woods this afternoon and that's all that matters to me right now.

What is up your ass this morning? Are you seriously telling me you're so great and mighty you've never once had a tinge of jealousy? you've never once seen a nice car or house and wished you had that? Never once seen a lottery winner and wished it were you? Good lord man, all I'm saying is that hunters are not immune to it and you go off like I'm some dirt bag hunter who doesn't deserve to hunt with my own family?

Hope your day gets better. I'm headed to the woods this afternoon and that's all that matters to me right now.

Ha, if one gets jealous over a deer, one needs to look at real priorities in life. Its just a deer.

The big buck we targeted in 2013 was shot by someone who got lucky through a whole bunch of events. He was in the right place an right time though. The guy was an asshat and even left a pic of the buck on moogs truck. You know what we did? Congratulate him. Being jealous over a buck doesnt exactly seem like a good use of my time nor focus.

Ha, if one gets jealous over a deer, one needs to look at real priorities in life. Its just a deer.

The big buck we targeted in 2013 was shot by someone who got lucky through a whole bunch of events. He was in the right place an right time though. The guy was an asshat and even left a pic of the buck on moogs truck. You know what we did? Congratulate him. Being jealous over a buck doesnt exactly seem like a good use of my time nor focus.

like I first said, there are too many variables. a young kid, a new hunter, a guy on hard times or with limited time. if you have this imagine of me fighting with or pissing in someone's cheerios about them shooting a big buck then again you're misunderstanding me. Big hugs, beers and great times were had opening day where that picture was posted above. My cousin who shot the wide rack 10 was in a stand I turned down believing i was in the right spot. I hold nothing against her, i was super happy for her (btw, the buck was finished off by my father), but I would be a liar if I hadn't told you the thought didn't cross my mind "dang I should have hunted that stand". Never vocalized other than a grin and a smile that she also thought was funny and later brought up. If that makes me or anyone else a "bad guy" then call me guilty I guess.

Now that one is real funny.  Hell, you guys are the ones planting food plots, setting out cameras, putting up countless treestands, planning this and planning that LONG before the season comes around and you are telling others that it's just a deer and to look at real priorities.  Hell, I pick up my gun and strap my boots on and hunting I go.  No planning, No stands, cameras, food plots, you name it.  So to which one of us is it really "just a deer"?

• Like 1

like I first said, there are too many variables. a young kid, a new hunter, a guy on hard times or with limited time. if you have this imagine of me fighting with or pissing in someone's cheerios about them shooting a big buck then again you're misunderstanding me. Big hugs, beers and great times were had opening day where that picture was posted above. My cousin who shot the wide rack 10 was in a stand I turned down believing i was in the right spot. I hold nothing against her, i was super happy for her (btw, the buck was finished off by my father), but I would be a liar if I hadn't told you the thought didn't cross my mind "dang I should have hunted that stand". Never vocalized other than a grin and a smile that she also thought was funny and later brought up. If that makes me or anyone else a "bad guy" then call me guilty I guess.

I don't call that jealousy though.

Now that one is real funny.  Hell, you guys are the ones planting food plots, setting out cameras, putting up countless treestands, planning this and planning that LONG before the season comes around and you are telling others that it's just a deer and to look at real priorities.  Hell, I pick up my gun and strap my boots on and hunting I go.  No planning, No stands, cameras, food plots, you name it.  So to which one of us is it really "just a deer"?

Says the guy who ranks in the top ten or so for posters on a hunting forum.

Look, at the end of the day, a deer is just that, a deer. Doing little or no prep or doing a lot of prep doesn't change that, its a non-factor. What people get out of hunting is different, but that doesn't mean a deer is more than just a deer. Its the same reason NYantler hunts traditional and shoots close shots and runs a webpage, or Grow does all of her property management, or Potter pouring over topos and setting up over a bed and won't shoot anything under 4.5, or you lacing up boots and toting the shotgun out the door opening morning.

Sorry, but it is just a deer.

just out of curiosity, is there a point or reason for you to throw the "(btw, the buck was finished off by my father)" in there? that alone shows there's some sour grapes about someone else getting a nice deer that maybe they didn't "deserve"............but I may be wrong.

Edited by jjb4900

Says the guy who ranks in the top ten or so for posters on a hunting forum.

Look, at the end of the day, a deer is just that, a deer. Doing little or no prep or doing a lot of prep doesn't change that, its a non-factor. What people get out of hunting is different, but that doesn't mean a deer is more than just a deer. Its the same reason NYantler hunts traditional and shoots close shots and runs a webpage, or Grow does all of her property management, or Potter pouring over topos and setting up over a bed and won't shoot anything under 4.5, or you lacing up boots and toting the shotgun out the door opening morning.

Sorry, but it is just a deer.

I will definitely agree with you that it's only a deer.  One main reason I come to this site is to see how fanatical many people are over hunting, deer, antlers, guns, etc.  I often give people some $#!+ about it, too, as you probably know.  I find it all quite amusing to say the least, since I do mighty little preparation and yet I've had only one deerless season since 1987.  So from my view, a lot less time can be devoted to all this and one can still be successful.  The rest of our time we can devote to living and as you say, to some "real priorities in life".

By the way I am the 28th top poster here, one below Wooly, and nowhere near the top 10.  You had me nervous there for a second.  I think I'd have myself psychologically evaluated if I was ever in the top 5 or 10 around here. LOL  That would definitely be an indication to a REAL problem.  LOL

I will definitely agree with you that it's only a deer.  One main reason I come to this site is to see how fanatical many people are over hunting, deer, antlers, guns, etc.  I often give people some $#!+ about it, too, as you probably know.  I find it all quite amusing to say the least, since I do mighty little preparation and yet I've had only one deerless season since 1987.  So from my view, a lot less time can be devoted to all this and one can still be successful.  The rest of our time we can devote to living and as you say, to some "real priorities in life".

By the way I am the 28th top poster here, one below Wooly, and nowhere near the top 10.  You had me nervous there for a second.  I think I'd have myself psychologically evaluated if I was ever in the top 5 or 10 around here. LOL  That would definitely be an indication to a REAL problem.  LOL

Touche sir. Touche.

just out of curiosity, is there a point or reason for you to throw the "(btw, the buck was finished off by my father)" in there? that alone shows there's some sour grapes about someone else getting a nice deer that maybe they didn't "deserve"............but I may be wrong.

No, just because that's what we were talking about. My dad is 60 and my cousin 28. He was more than happy for her.

But I have missed shots, been busted, hunted the wrong stands. Yes it's all just deer hunting but I believe it's totally fine to reminisce and kick yourself every now and then for the one that got away. It's not dwelling, it's learning and growing and adding to the collection of stories.

I do believe that time is valuable. We all have a finite amount of it. To spend hours of your time and thousands of dollars (which you worked hard with your time for) and then just shrug off a disappointing season is truly fascinating to me. If you hunt for meat, there are alternatives. If you enjoy nature there are alternatives. If you're a hunter I'm assuming you aim to harvest an animal. That goes for deer big and small, old and young. Whatever your goals are. If you don't make them I find zero fault with being upset or frustrated over it. Seeing someone else have success can rub salt in those wounds. If you handle that poorly then I agree with Phade that you're not a guy I want to be around. But your own private thoughts and feelings I believe are normal.

Seeing someone else have success can rub salt in those wounds.

That my friend is scary... that you even have that in your head. I can honestly say that has never and will never be a thought in my head concerning deer hunting... That may be normal for you... But me, I'd get myself checked out if I had that thought.

• Like 2

Belo, I was with you until that last one. I get the disappointment, but I can say that I've only hunted 6 seasons. In that time, I have killed three deer. Despite that, I have had 6 seasons that I have enjoyed immensely. Disappointment is normal in that you set a goal and didn't accomplish it. But if you put that level of importance on killing a deer, at what point does it stop being an enjoyable activity?

Edited by Wildcats160
  • Like 1