LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

I agree. But, I also think some people here probably need to be more forthright with what they want to say and/or have all the facts before saying it.

So does this mean your taking time to practice your shots before attempting to shoot another deer ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

There are large variety of hunters on here, of course there are going to be differences between each of us. I feel instead of pinning or bashing them, give them advice rather then a lecture. It's all a learning experience. Heck, I'm only 4 yrs into bow hunting and I know for sure I don't know it all, I'm lucky to have people to help me with decisions to make, good shots or bad. Scouting certain areas and figuring out patterns We really shouldn't crucify anyone, help em' out instead.

horrible start to my morning I left all my gear outside to air out woke up everything was soaked had to throw it in the drier for 20 mins get to my stand late bumped a deer walking in and all I've seen so far was a raccoon, beautiful cold foggy morning tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

LIVE FROM THE DRIVE...6:30 I tighten up my bright red bathrobe and head out the door armed with only a returning Netfix in hand. I hit the roadside front flower/fruit garden when a quick movement startles me......15 ft away, up pops the head of a 10 pt buck and we lock eyes for just a moment before he swirls and in just 4 thumps is in the gully and away in our woods...Really ???!!!! :huh: ...

I would bet money he watches me walk down the drive everymorning to go hunting....snickering from the cover of my garden...Well surprised him this morning didn't I!....lol

All this and no mention of what movie you had??

So does this mean your taking time to practice your shots before attempting to shoot another deer ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am always practicing. There is a sign-in sheet at my range and only one other person uses it as much as I do. I am sure I practice shooting more than 90% of the people here and I am a better shot than most of the hunters who are shooting beside me at the range.

I vital shot 30 yards every time. Never miss. Guaranteed. I rarely hit out of a vital size group at 40. This deer was 30 on the nose, and I missed the shot by 2', which is more than I have literally ever missed any shot at any distance since buying my bow. I'm still not really sure what happened. Took time on the shot, the deer wasn't spooked, and even if it moved after hearing the bow it cannot have moved 2'.

sometimes one just needs to step back and say "this isn't working".......take a break and figure out what the problem is, I've done it myself in the past, frustration will usually only lead to more misses and lost deer.
Absolutely. I always try to analyze my failures and learn from them. I wish the cause of this one was more apparent to me. Best I can come up with is I was positioned weirdly because my safety strap was constricting movement plus maybe the deer moved. I'm just not entirely sure.

Can I ask if this or any missed hunting shots occured were they from a stand? Is all the practice you do at the range from the ground? did anyone teach you the nuances of stand shooting opposed to ground shooting..or any type of elevated  shooting such as ground shooting up or down...stand with ground "flow" going up or down from you? How an arrows trajectory actually works? These are questions only not insults..

• Like 1

Live from the airport! Silly last minute work travel came up. Wife reported like 5 fresh road kills on way to work. I also saw a small buck when i pulled into the airport a few minutes ago. The mornings are still cool this week I would be out for sure! Funny tidbit I am headed to LA and it will be warmer here this week than in LA!

Can I ask if this or any missed hunting shots occured were they from a stand? Is all the practice you do at the range from the ground? did anyone teach you the nuances of stand shooting opposed to ground shooting..or any type of elevated  shooting such as ground shooting up or down...stand with ground "flow" going up or down from you? How an arrows trajectory actually works? These are questions only not insults..

Yes, from stand. All practice on ground. One miss was because the stand bar pressed the string and caused the arrow to fly way high. I won't repeat that. I've studied trajectory from elevated position and the shot I missed yesterday I had the height on perfectly, it really was dead-on. I never thought I could miss so wildly in the horizontal plain :(

I am going to move from the standard targets to the 3d course and see if that teaches me anything.

Core

No one likes to hear about wounded lost deer, but it happens. Sounds like first deer you misjudged range and second was just a bad shot. Most hunters are very nervous on game until they get a few under their belt. Some remain nervous even then. Just keep practicing and I would limit my shots to chip shots until you have a few in the freezer. Closing the deal on close shots will give you confidence. I know you are taking heat and might get defensive but hang in there. You are seeing deer and will get an easy 10-20yd shot soon.

Also, slow way down when the opportunity comes. Just follow your shot routine and don't worry about the nature of the target or getting a quick shot off. Settle in and take your time. You will have one hanging soon. Good luck.

• Like 3

I used to go into panic mode whenever I had a deer coming into range and knew I was going to get a shot...........I would always think I better take the first shot before it gets away, and would be preoccupied with missing it. I've since been able to control that and instead of panicking about missing and not getting the deer, I now am more confident and KNOW that I am going to make a perfect shot instead of the other mode of thinking.......helps a lot, but of course I still miss occasionally........slow down, go through your mental checklist and be confident.

• Like 2

My two cents , then a report from the woods when I get there tonight.

I killed my first bow deer 27 years ago at 10 yards, in all the years that followed the longest shot I took and killed at was 25 yards.

Yes I shoot very well at 30 and not bad at all at 40, I like lay ups though. Close shots at undisturbed deer. Last year passed on what would have been my biggest buck at 12 or so yards he had no idea I was there , but a few branches to shoot through so I passed.

This is a game of waiting and choosing .

• Like 6

I'm going to go ahead n call it , it's going to bust loose Sat / Sun after this warm up and lows in the 30's high in the 40's , at least here in WNY .... My advice , get some sleep in the next day or so n be in the stand as long as you can stand this weekend !

I'm going to go ahead n call it , it's going to bust loose Sat / Sun after this warm up and lows in the 30's high in the 40's , at least here in WNY .... My advice , get some sleep in the next day or so n be in the stand as long as you can stand this weekend !

done and done. And done.
  • Like 1

So maybe I have learned something from that bad shot. Advice is congealing around not taking shots so far. I'm not good enough for it, even though I perform well at the range. Perhaps field distance should be acceptable accuracy at the range divided by 2, which puts me more like 20 yards.

• Like 1

How nervous/excited are you getting when it's time to take that shot . I practice archery more then enough and I would say an above average shooter. However when it comes time to take a shot at a live animal I become a total wreck ,my heart feels like it's gonna pop through my chest and can honestly say that nerves over come all the practice I put in before the season.

So maybe I have learned something from that bad shot. Advice is congealing around not taking shots so far. I'm not good enough for it, even though I perform well at the range. Perhaps field distance should be acceptable accuracy at the range divided by 2, which puts me more like 20 yards.

I had two misses earlier this season and a couple guys on this thread gave me some tips and it turned out to be great advice. I was shooting high both times and I wasn't bending at the hips. Instead I was lowering my arm and it threw the shots out of whack. Not saying that's your issue but after paying more attention to the mechanics and trying as much as possible to put the adrenaline aside I nailed the same deer two days later. The attention to proper form helped the most for me. It should for you too especially if your already a good shooter

Can I ask if this or any missed hunting shots occured were they from a stand? Is all the practice you do at the range from the ground? did anyone teach you the nuances of stand shooting opposed to ground shooting..or any type of elevated shooting such as ground shooting up or down...stand with ground "flow" going up or down from you? How an arrows trajectory actually works? These are questions only not insults..

. I will say this the deer that I hit over the weekend most likely killed and did not recover was a error of stand shooting. Not my form or the shot just the point of aim, the deer was closer then I thought she was and with the steep angel of the shot and the arc of the arrow I hit very high to the point the arrow hit almost vertical. If I had aimed just below the deer it would have been a perfect hit.... Pure mental error on my part and I will be the first to admit it