LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Saw three bucks following a doe across a field today about 3:30. Really big one right with her, pretty nice one about a minute behind them, a small one right behind the second one. Wish I had my binocs to see them better with as they were about 300 yards out behind my barn.

6 bucks today from 10:30 to the end of the hunt. One jaw dropping omg , that heard my stand creak , a couple 2 1/2's , one that fell in between those and 2 , 1 1/2s .

Add in Sat. Mornings 5 bucks that's 11 bucks zero does my last two times out.

Now to,get one of the big ones in range and not make noise.....

• Like 1

6 bucks today from 10:30 to the end of the hunt. One jaw dropping omg , that heard my stand creak , a couple 2 1/2's , one that fell in between those and 2 , 1 1/2s .

Add in Sat. Mornings 5 bucks that's 11 bucks zero does my last two times out.

Now to,get one of the big ones in range and not make noise.....

Damn 11 bucks... crushing it!

Neighbors dog chased a doe away saturday morning so I moved my stand to a ridge about 200 yards away.  Had between 7-8 Doe/Fawn come in last night and bed right around my stand for about 2 hours.  Something spooked em off at last light and as soon as it was too dark to see, I heard a big boy come through.  Saw his silhouette, but it was through the trees and was WAY passed last shooting light.  Made sure he was gone before i climbed down.

Gonna take 2 half days this week and hunt the afternoons, Haven't had much luck in the mornings

LIVE FROM THE DRIVE...6:30 I tighten up my bright red bathrobe and head out the door armed with only a returning Netfix in hand. I hit the roadside front flower/fruit garden when a quick movement startles me......15 ft away, up pops the head of a 10 pt buck and we lock eyes for just a moment before he swirls and in just 4 thumps is in the gully and away in our woods...Really ???!!!! :huh: ...

I would bet money he watches me walk down the drive everymorning to  go hunting....snickering from the cover of my garden...Well surprised him this morning didn't I!....lol

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446473534.731544.jpgafAfter that bit of fat I saw some smattering of blood and 20 yards later my arrow--unopened (?). However blood picked up. This pic here shows bubbles which means lung, so maybe I hit lung afterall? Basically I have walked another 100 yards and blood spatter every several inches. Could this amount of blood --constant good trail--possibly happen if it was not a vital area? He red is showing up cleanly against the leaves. I am. It having to circle at all, it is an easy thing to follow.

I'm guessing no news is bad news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIVE FROM THE DRIVE...6:30 I tighten up my bright red bathrobe and head out the door armed with only a returning Netfix in hand. I hit the roadside front flower/fruit garden when a quick movement startles me......15 ft away, up pops the head of a 10 pt buck and we lock eyes for just a moment before he swirls and in just 4 thumps is in the gully and away in our woods...Really ???!!!! :huh: ...

I would bet money he watches me walk down the drive everymorning to go hunting....snickering from the cover of my garden...Well surprised him this morning didn't I!....lol

Hopefully his pecker gets him in trouble this week while your in the stand !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So?

Never found it I'm afraid. This article called it precisely, from the behavior to the deer, to what happened when I trailed it. http://www.bowhunter.com/feature_articles/feature_articles_a_bowhunters_guide_to_blood-trailing_deer_113010/

200 yards from the hit I found a pool of blood, after which the trail lightened up a bit. 50 yards after that another pool, after which the trail went dead. 20 yards from that I found a hunk of clotted blood, 20 yards after that another hunk. I then couldn't find anything and told myself well that is that, until I found out of pure luck another spot of blood at least 50 yards beyond that. The trail then opened up with consistent drops for 200 more yards, then 200 more yards of consistent drops but they were very small--but more numerous than before too, weirdly--then I got to another pool of blood. Beyond this pool the drops stopped almost immediately, then the last one I found was another 20 yards beyond that, and I never found the trail again.

This deer had managed to run a half mile without any pressure, up and down very steep hills. I have no idea where it was going, but it certainly wasn't lying down to die, and its wound was obviously clotting every time it laid down or paused.

It was a terrible day for all involved. My guess is the deer will recover from this. Its leg is clearly still functional given what terrain it was going over, and seeing multiple clotting points I suspect the wound will close up.

So yesterday afternoon hit corner plot stand...and out came the button buck and doe fawn,,,WOW he is still growing head gear....Sad I see him so much It's noticable ... :rolleyes: Anyways he has 4+ in velvet covered spikes now and a big pot belly from living in the food plot/oak area now a "legal" buck....he has gotten use to me because he glanced up at me several times and stared...then went back to eating...10 mins before dark the Moms came over...but thanks to traffic...How this road has gotten so dang busy is beyond me...they were forced to finish crossing over on the neighbors side of the fence...Which usually is no big deal they readily jump the fence...well not tonight...they looked and looked then trotted down to the new blind and came in around the fence...too late for me to hunt them feeding back towards me... got down while fawns were 20 yrds away undetected...slowly backed away from the stand, but not so deer in the lane way could see me and turned walking across the plot to the roadside pines...the fawns ran but never alerted...stand is still OK.

• Like 1

Back at it this morning! Had a real nice 6 last night cruising making a couple scrapes last night, grunted to get his attention and he came running in but wasn't interested the second he came in shooting range behind some branches. Made a judgement call and let him walk due to the poor shots I could've taken. Maybe he'll swing by again soon! Not to mention I got the "magical 10-11" point on camera I've heard a few people have seen over the summer, right in the same spot! And another two fighting right over the ground scrape in front of me. All these bucks but not a single one wants anything to do with me! Lol well good luck to you fellow hunters lucky enough to get out on a Tuesday also, get a biggin!

• Like 1

Back at it this morning! Had a real nice 6 last night cruising making a couple scrapes last night, grunted to get his attention and he came running in but wasn't interested the second he came in shooting range behind some branches. Made a judgement call and let him walk due to the poor shots I could've taken. Maybe he'll swing by again soon! Not to mention I got the "magical 10-11" point on camera I've heard a few people have seen over the summer, right in the same spot! And another two fighting right over the ground scrape in front of me. All these bucks but not a single one wants anything to do with me! Lol well good luck to you fellow hunters lucky enough to get out on a Tuesday also, get a biggin!

Good job button buck that's what a good hunter does .. he knows his shots and doesn't take bad shots that are gonna injure a deer that he won't recover ... some people don't understand that they don't have to shoot a deer just because it's there and they might have a wing and a prayer ....some people on here need to practice there shots before attempting to take another deer because they are the ones that make us the hunter community look bad ... good job and you will get a crack at you bucks it's just heating up ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Our son had a 12pt step out in front of him on the way to work this morning... he was far enough away and stopped to stare at the lights .... before jumping off road...thankfully........ he's hit 3 in 6 years...insurance company ...not happy...One bounced down the side of his work truck and he said "forgetabout it!"....adds charector to the truck...lol

Good job button buck that's what a good hunter does .. he knows his shots and doesn't take bad shots that are gonna injure a deer that he won't recover ... some people don't understand that they don't have to shoot a deer just because it's there and they might have a wing and a prayer ....some people on here need to practice there shots before attempting to take another deer because they are the ones that make us the hunter community look bad ... good job and you will get a crack at you bucks it's just heating up ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree. But, I also think some people here probably need to be more forthright with what they want to say and/or have all the facts before saying it.

• Like 1