LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Had to quit for today due to family obligations. Hunted most of the season with 1-3 other family members. I got about 40 hours in, my dad a bit less, with zero chances for a safe shot (on either bucks or does) between all of us. Not sure what we did wrong but I know the deer numbers are still there based on the sign. All my trailcam photos were at night for the last two weeks. Sad to miss out on the venison but thankful for the opportunity to hunt and spend time with family. Someday I'll invest in a smokepole so I can hunt the late season too. Good luck and safe wishes to those that hunt the late season! I will probably go chase some squirrels.

• Like 1

Man do I miss hunting Bare Hill near Rushville. Heard it was a weird year there as well.

Good luck. I miss hunting the Finger Lakes area badly. Land is ridiculously priced. I remember when farmers had , "welcome hunters" out front and you could go and hunt.

Edited by upstate
  • Like 1

Went out this morning in 7A. Had two does come out of the swamp. I got one and the neighbor got the other one. Saw a big six point on the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

I'm out of likes for today. So a big thumbs up and a congrats!

• Like 1

One last ditch effort today .... Was on my feet all day creeping around through the thick s$&/ .... Met up with a father n son mid morning n we decided to push an area together with two creeks on either side that come to a point were they meet up .... This is the spot I had the big boy come by with my dam bow on the ground ... 2 secs into it a huge buck and a doe pop up and are haulin ass ... Couldn't get a shot before they turned straight away from me ... So dam tempted to pop him in the butt , but he lives to screw me another day ... Moved to another area a federal land n came across a bunch a guys getting ready to drive a section of swamp , I stayed behind in case they pushed anything back to me .... Had a couple doe run by a ways off , they shot a good dozen times ... Might be it for me , didn't even set up the muzzy this year ... Debating on sighting it in and goin out for a few ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by deerpassion
  • Like 1

Got a shot off at a nice 8 this evening. He jumped straight up, but there was no blood and a small amount of white hair. Tracking was further complicated by the fact that this animal had been pushed toward me by two neighbors. I just shot him as he crossed right into the property, over the line.

Before this, I saw two doe coming toward out of some thick stuff. I wasn't really in full on hunt-mode. A spike had trotted past at 30 yards 15 minutes earlier. I decided to sit a little longer and see what else might come by. It occurred to me that people would be pushing on this day.It was about 3:40pm when the action began.

So anyway...one of the doe kinda spots me and we are both locked up, still as can be. They eventually turn to head back away from me when all of a sudden they turn and start heading my way again. Then I see bone, a decent amount of it, walking through the stick stuff behind them. There is a good size Buck in the party. Can't believe I am getting a look at him on this, my final day in the woods. Suddenly, one of the doe comes tearing past me on my left, about 30 yards off. I think she has seen me and so I am expecting all the deer to vaminos. But no!

The Buck first runs away from me at an oblique angle, about 50 or 60 yards, and then makes a hard right turn to chase after the doe. He has no idea I am crouched behind a dead tree. The Doe is already stopped off to my left so I am nervous about raising the barrel to catch the Buck coming in. She doesn't see me but runs off from the Buck as he crashes in. I don't have a shot at first, too many branches, but then he stops, perfectly framed between two hemlock trunks. I'ts about 30ish yards. I shoot high on the shoulder in anticipation of the slug dropping.He leaps right up in the air, then runs down into a ravine, but instead of heading deeper into my woods he turns back into the neighbors. I am somewhat miffed at this.

I wait a while, then I hear some crashing around. I am hopeful that it is the buck on his last legs. No,I see orange. A neighbor is coming right toward me as he heard the shot. I stand up and wave. He wasn't overly friendly first as he thought I had shot the animal on his property. I got lucky, the deer was over the line, even though it turned and went back into his patch. We find some white hair, but no blood.I did a quick circle of the area, but there was good sized tracks going in several directions. The deer would almost certainly have turned off in another direction when he heard the neighbor coming for me. His son arrived on the scene. It was he that had pushed all the deer my way. They had attempted some kind of pincer move. I was in the middle of them. We parted on decent terms after shooting the breeze, but it got dark and so tracking was out of the question. I will go back in the morning and revisit the site and see if I can find the largest set of prints to follow.

The guys knew the animal, he is a nice 8 with good mass, not too high but a good looking animal.Hopefully I just tickled his belly and he lives to see another year . An exhilarating end to the season!

Edited by Papist

Just pushed big buck past cousin, missed....

We walked for miles today. Went into areas we lay off. Pushed a nice 7 point to my nephew who wasn't ready until he was right on top of him. Shot under him first time and dead into a tree on second.  Oh well, was good to hear shooting 

just went back to the site of my encounter for a final look. Distance was quite a bit more than I first thought. Almost certain I went under his belly and grabbed a bunch of hairs. I will have another good look round tomorrow am, but I think he is OK. No yote action where the encounter took place.

warm as hell tonight

Edited by Papist