Speaking of youth hunt.....

growalot

You can have a bow with you as a mentor.

Nope....

Q: The youth deer hunt occurs during bowhunting season. Are adults allowed to continue bowhunting over Columbus Day weekend?

A: Yes, licensed adult bowhunters may hunt deer or bear with a bow over Columbus Day weekend. However, adults may not bowhunt for deer or bear while mentoring a Junior Hunter who is participating in the youth deer hunt. We recommend that adult bowhunters put their bow away for the weekend and spend time afield mentoring a junior hunter during the youth deer hunt.

• Like 3

I though it was 500 feet.

• Adult mentor must maintain physical control over the junior hunter at all times while hunting. This means the mentor and junior hunter must be close enough to talk without the aid of a radio and must be able to see each other....................however you interpret this.
  • Like 2

. My son is 14 he is using his gun....you are telling me I can't hunt with my bow while he is hunting. For example he be in ground blind and I will be in a tree stand Couple hundred yards away.

From the DEC site:

• Adult mentor must be licensed to hunt big game and have 3 years of big game hunting experience.
  • Adult mentor must maintain physical control over the junior hunter at all times while hunting. This means the mentor and junior hunter must be close enough to talk without the aid of a radio and must be able to see each other.
  • Both the junior hunter and mentor must remain on the ground while hunting; you may not use a tree stand or hunt from an elevated platform.
  • Both the junior hunter and mentor must wear hunter orange visible from all directions: shirt, jacket or vest with at least 250 square inches of solid or patterned orange (the pattern must be at least 50% orange) OR a hat with at least 50% orange.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Youth Hunt and Junior Hunter Mentoring Program

Q: Can both the junior hunter and the mentor carry firearms during the youth deer hunt or while hunting deer or bear during the regular season?

A: During the youth hunt, the mentor may not carry a firearm or bow to pursue deer; only the youth may have a firearm for deer hunting. During the regular or muzzleloader seasons for deer or bear, both the mentor and the youth hunter may have a firearm to hunt deer or bear.

I think it's a good thing that mentors are not allowed to carry weapons during this youth hunt.  The most interesting part of this thread for me is how so many hunters DON'T know the rules, nor do they bother to read up on them.  I bet scores of mentors have taken kids out hunting during this youth hunt and carried weapons themselves.  Of course most will never get caught since DEC officers are rarer than mountain lions.

• Like 3

IMO, guys should just put their bows away for a couple of days and devote the time to the kids they are supposed to be mentoring. Its supposed to be about them, not you. Suppose you shoot a deer within sight of the kid, and they dont end up seeing any other deer, then what? Think about how bummed that kid would be, its youth weekend, they are looking forward to it and then the adult kills the deer, and they end up empty handed. Not a great way to get things started for them.

Either mentor them or dont bother with it. Dont half ass it.

• Like 6

Yes, its this weekend. Saturday through Monday, and the no buck thing doesnt apply for the youth hunters. Im sure youre gonna hear all kinds of fantasies about how every mentor out there will really be out for shooting a buck and saying the youth did it. lol. Haters gotta hate

and it's also ignorant to pretend it doesn't happen.

I think it's a good thing that mentors are not allowed to carry weapons during this youth hunt.  The most interesting part of this thread for me is how so many hunters DON'T know the rules, nor do they bother to read up on them.  I bet scores of mentors have taken kids out hunting during this youth hunt and carried weapons themselves.  Of course most will never get caught since DEC officers are rarer than mountain lions.

yup.....

My son hunted the first two years of the youth hunt. First year he got a doe second year he got a buck. Last year he took a buck during regular firearms season and during archery he's hooked on hunting, and I'm very happy about it. Youth hunt is a great idea and good luck to all the kids and my nephew Tyler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell you, it is hard on us because I have twin sons, and unless we all sit in one blind, it's difficult to comply 100% with the DEC youth hunt rules.  The Adirondacks are thick.  The idea that I could sit between them and keep an eye on both is really not possible.  I have to look at one or the other.  I do my best, but half the time I can't see one of them.  I sit in a stand looking down on their spots.  The stand is strategically placed just for that.  I could yell to them, but we just use radios.  I have them facing in opposite directions.  That's about the best I can come into compliance.  I am sure a stickler of an officer could probably find a problem with that, but I am just trying to give them a chance to actually get one on youth weekend before they age out.

Edited by Jafo
  • Like 1

I tell you, it is hard on us because I have twin sons, and unless we all sit in one blind, it's difficult to comply 100% with the DEC youth hunt rules. The Adirondacks are thick. The idea that I could sit between them and keep an eye on both is really not possible. I have to look at one or the other. I do my best, but half the time I can't see one of them. I sit in a stand looking down on their spots. The stand is strategically placed just for that. I could yell to them, but we just use radios. I have them facing in opposite directions. That's about the best I can come into compliance. I am sure a stickler of an officer could probably find a problem with that, but I am just trying to give them a chance to actually get one on youth weekend before they age out.

I MO the Dec officers I have met you would be hard pressed find one that anal....good luck to all kids and parents out there....next year for me with my nephews and 9 years with my boy unless they change stuff....again good luck to all going out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1