So I wonder how that 2 week kill only doe is working out

swank68

The more you contaminate the area, the worse your chances are. If you get busted by a mature buck, you are far less likely to get another crack at him that season. Its a pretty simple concept, and you know it. You are just being a troll, trying to get peoples hackles up. Its your MO on here. Same as the thread you kept poking and prodding, posting nonsense trying to get it up to "50 pages".

The number of P&Y bucks on your wall doesnt impress me much when you act like a douche bag.

Over and Over and Over. You know what they say about the ones that talk about the size of their ..........

• Like 1

what i dont understand about all the crying is the area that is doe only is not the only place to hunt just hunt another zone

Own 120 acres ourselves and hunt a 3,000 acre farm where we managed what we take ( or is it I take whatever I manage too? ) Stands up, wood huts built , cameras up , brush hogged lanes and oh been hunting it over 25 years so I know it pretty well.

I guess I could drive an hour and start knocking on doors with my climber and bow.

Many folks own land, camps, or just hunt the family farm , places they are familiar with ,places they know pretty well, they'd rather not start over from scratch I'd guess. So like me they are mostly are sitting out the first two weeks, working on their houses , taking the wife for a drive to "see the leaves" enjoying the sun on the back deck.

I always said I hunt to much early season, well this may have been a mixed blessing as my stands have been mostly empty and from Oct. 19th to Dec. 3 , I'm only working 6 days.

I'm very surprised in the lack of hunters in my area around Darien, hardly anyone out. Hmmm I wonder if the DEC ever thought that there would be such a lack of hunters in the woods to just get a doe ?

I have only seen 1 or 2 cars in Darien state park at a time since the season opened and hardly anyone on the shoulders or fields around here. Makes you wonder if its due to not being able to shoot at Bucks/

I hunted darien one year. Didn't see a ton of activity during bow and this was about 5 years ago.

I have made a couple of post vehemently disagreeing with the DEC decision to make DMP with excessive number of doe's antlerless only. I believe it was a short sighted correction adjustment. While I generally agree with the DEC and their difficult decision to maintain the deer population at acceptable levels for all concerned. (Hunters, insurance companies,homeowners, farmers, carrying capacity of particular section of land, etc.) An over population of deer can cause damage to motor vehicles, landscapes of those individuals that live in the suburbs, crops that the farmers are growing ( on their private land or leased land) By the way, these farmers are trying to sustain a business that feeds their family( and many others.) But the primary responsibility of the DEC should be to the deer herd. Set the population goals in line with the carrying capacity of the land( browse,feed).

Unfortunately, many hunters become enamored with the deer shows,and videos available to the public. They strive to have the same environment that these tv personalities enjoy. Don't believe I've ever saw a sub 150 class buck taken. Well they all own a couple 300 to 1000 acre hunting farms. Or hunt on restricted trophy leases.

So, how do we as hunters get to experience similar hunting experiences? Time to buy large chunks of land or purchase trophy hunts

One question I would appreciate answered, how does New York State pay the farmers? It's been mentioned numerous times on the site. Believe someone is spreading mis information. But look forward to someone enlightening me.

If the first two weeks were "Earn a Buck" in those zones would you hunt?

It would depend if I was seeing my "shooter" on the camera often. If not then no. The problem I see with earn a buck is that I could shoot a doe in the southern zone (8X) then be able to shoot a buck in the northern zone (8F). This still wouldn't solve "their" problem of too many does.

Edited by chas0218

As far as hunter density, I've been out seven (!) times now at state land and seen very few vehicles. I drove around one of the state areas last night at 6:00 pm and saw no other cars whatsoever (I saw one a few hours earlier). I saw a few the first weekend of bow. I am simply assuming people didn't tag out on their bow, but who knows.

The only gunfire I heard this past weekend was duck hunters.

they should call it Doe (only if you get caught areas) from what I hear there won't be many bucks left for honest guys.

I am sure there have been a lot of bucks taken in the no-buck areas.

Edited by Core

As far as hunter density, I've been out seven (!) times now at state land and seen very few vehicles. I drove around one of the state areas last night at 6:00 pm and saw no other cars whatsoever (I saw one a few hours earlier). I saw a few the first weekend of bow. I am simply assuming people didn't tag out on their bow, but who knows.

The only gunfire I heard this past weekend was duck hunters.

I am sure there have been a lot of bucks taken in the no-buck areas.

are you in the Northern Zone?

It would depend if I was seeing my "shooter" on the camera often. If not then no. The problem I see with earn a buck is that I could shoot a doe in the southern zone (8X) then be able to shoot a buck in the northern zone (8F). This still wouldn't solve "their" problem of too many does.

I would think in this case, EAB would only apply to the affected regions, not the whole state.

I would think in this case, EAB would only apply to the affected regions, not the whole state.

that makes it a nightmare to administer. Check in of taken does. issue the buck tags. I think they are taking a totally wrong approach in reducing opportunities and expecting a standing ovation. They should have been expanding opportunities if they wanted the program embraced. it would have caused hunters to migrate INTO the impact areas rather than  AWAY from the impact areas.

It really is simple. Over the counter purchase  for those areas and it does not effect the regular doe permit draw. No limit. 9 day GUN season in the middle of September.

• Like 3

That is a good point. But for every problem there is a solution. First and foremost I would eliminate the "can't shoot a buck" philosophy. The reality of the situation is there are a percentage of hunters both bow and gun that won't shoot a doe. There is some false sense of being a more accomplished dear hunter by shooting a buck. Now, a small percentage of those hunters that refuse to shoot does indeed are trophy hunters. The rest take bucks that aren't that impressive as far as trophy is concerned. Most would be surprised to find that their trophy buck scores 120- 130 inches. And I don't know if deer antlers are some form of aphrodisiac? I've yet to know someone eating venison to be able to identify the sex of the venison they were consuming

Now to address the incentive to take a doe. The easiest incentive would be to allow two does per DMP permit. This would only take a second date on the current tagging procedure. What would this do? First it controls the doe harvest to areas experiencing an over abundance of antlerless deer. But more importantly it puts the second opportunity in the hands of those hunters that have already expressed a desire to shoot doe's by paying an additional fee to do so(dmp permit) . Sounds like a no brainer to me. Yes there are those that would only be motivated if they could take a second buck. Then you would have those opposed to taking a second buck.

Now, if I was able to come up with this solution by myself in a very short period of time,( and not penalize the hunters in those effected DMP's with anterless only) Why can't the powers to be in the DEC come up with comparable solution. No INCREASE IN THE COST OF DMP'S NEEDED. The purpose of the addition number of dmp permits is to achieve the carrying capacity of the DMP's in question. Not figure a way to take more financially from the hunter.

Edited by Jmny

One question I would appreciate answered, how does New York State pay the farmers? It's been mentioned numerous times on the site. Believe someone is spreading mis information. But look forward to someone enlightening me.

On the IRS one they mention gains due to weather...well deductions and income loss is also figured and they can have lower taxesand or bigger refunds....

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012/07/2012-farm-bill-and-crop-insurance-subsidies

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Farm-Income-and-Deductions:-10-Key-Points

pretty simple, they claim however much of a profit loss that they attribute to the damage created by the deer and they get a tax benefit......do you think they just have to swallow the amount of money they lose to deer damage, I think probably not.

That is a good point. But for every problem there is a solution. First and foremost I would eliminate the "can't shoot a buck" philosophy. The reality of the situation is there are a percentage of hunters both bow and gun that won't shoot a doe. There is some false sense of being a more accomplished dear hunter by shooting a buck. Now, a small percentage of those hunters that refuse to shoot does indeed are trophy hunters. The rest take bucks that aren't that impressive as far as trophy is concerned. Most would be surprised to find that their trophy buck scores 120- 130 inches. And I don't know if deer antlers are some form of aphrodisiac? I've yet to know someone eating venison to be able to identify the sex of the venison they were consuming

Now to address the incentive to take a doe. The easiest incentive would be to allow two does per DMP permit. This would only take a second date on the current tagging procedure. What would this do? First it controls the doe harvest to areas experiencing an over abundance of antlerless deer. But more importantly it puts the second opportunity in the hands of those hunters that have already expressed a desire to shoot doe's by paying an additional fee to do so(dmp permit) . Sounds like a no brainer to me. Yes there are those that would only be motivated if they could take a second buck. Then you would have those opposed to taking a second buck.

Now, if I was able to come up with this solution by myself in a very short period of time,( and not penalize the hunters in those effected DMP's with anterless only) Why can't the powers to be in the DEC come up with comparable solution. No INCREASE IN THE COST OF DMP'S NEEDED. The purpose of the addition number of dmp permits is to achieve the carrying capacity of the DMP's in question. Not figure a way to take more financially from the hunter.

Do you even hunt these areas? In 8h you can get 4 doe permits. Why the need for multiple dates on a tag? Just print another tag.

Just adding more tags, which is what allowing 2 does per DMP would essentially do, doesnt work. Thats been proven already.

It really is simple. Over the counter purchase  for those areas and it does not effect the regular doe permit draw. No limit. 9 day GUN season in the middle of September.

This right there would actually make a difference. I do not hunt in this area, but if there was an early doe only gun season with over the counter tags, I would probably take a weekend and hunt. The only problem is I believe the over population is really in the areas without public land. If the landowners do not buy into this, nothing will change.

• Like 2

What about a late doe only week or 2 after late muzzeloader with its own separate tags. Would it work? Would anyone be oppsosed to that? I don'tive in one of these areas but a trip down Christmas week could be fun?

My only concern about going late is that I have seen buck with their antlers off later. I know the temps are not great earlier but the odds are an antlerless is a doe then.

• Like 3

This right there would actually make a difference. I do not hunt in this area, but if there was an early doe only gun season with over the counter tags, I would probably take a weekend and hunt. The only problem is I believe the over population is really in the areas without public land. If the landowners do not buy into this, nothing will change.

there isn't much public land in these areas. That is part of the problem. But if I could get an early season with additional opportunity I would be more likely to do a little leg work and see if I could find a place to get in.

• Like 1

My only concern about going late is that I have seen buck with their antlers off later. I know the temps are not great earlier but the odds are an antlerless is a doe then.

To help lessen the possibility of shooting a buck that has lost it's antlers is make late bow season extend until January (doe only). The need for the animal to be closer for the shot allows you to notice if there are bumps or not. A lot of midwest states do this. I know a lot of bow hunters who will not take a doe early, but really start to rack them up in the late bow season.