So I wonder how that 2 week kill only doe is working out

swank68

I'm very surprised in the lack of hunters in my area around Darien, hardly anyone out. Hmmm I wonder if the DEC ever thought that there would be such a lack of hunters in the woods to just get a doe ?

I have only seen 1 or 2 cars in Darien state park at a time since the season opened and hardly anyone on the shoulders or fields around here. Makes you wonder if its due to not being able to shoot at Bucks/

Edited by swank68

It's the same out here as well...

It also makes me wonder...even though the kids can shoot buck in these areas for the youth hunt...for some reason if this has caused the absolute no shots heard on opening youth morning....That is definately a first for this area...and not even faint shots heard. Now because of the hills  I can hear when guys are lighting up duck and geese way over in Conesus...So I would have thought at least a shot or two would have happened......sad when you think about it...

The DEC hasn't just messed up their doe count.... but the over all deer take which should have been their goal all along.

I'm very surprised in the lack of hunters in my area around Darien, hardly anyone out. Hmmm I wonder if the DEC ever thought that there would be such a lack of hunters in the woods to just get a doe ?

I have only seen 1 or 2 cars in Darien state park at a time since the season opened and hardly anyone on the shoulders or fields around here. Makes you wonder if its due to not being able to shoot at Bucks/

I hunt Darien but already took a doe... So I'm at Carlton hill down the road were bucks are legal, I'll be in my spot at Darien the 16th! Kinda works out for me cause its most likely undisterbed at this point and we have a nice front coming through that weekend! But ya , only seen a couple cars there in my passings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My season starts on the 16th. I have had a ball hunting squirrels. and probably actually got more meat doing it than if I had been deer hunting.....lol.

Yes, it may very well be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I will not go along with this DEC attack on bow hunting. And yes it may very well lead to an early muzzleloader season, but I suspect that is really what is at the root of all this nonsense anyway, and regardless of what the doe take winds up being, since it is not their real motive, I'm sure the doe take by bowhunters would never have been enough anyway.

Anyway, I have re-discovered the fun of squirrel hunting, and have had a chance to take care of fall winterizing of lawns, grounds and some household maintenance.

I must say that I have not seen (or heard) any sign of the youth gun season so far, and I have not seen a large crowd of bowhunters. That of course does not mean a thing, and is simply one person's observations in one tiny part of the state.

• Like 2

By buddy texted me this am asking if I've been out looking for an early doe. I said I'm not burning up stands to just shoot a doe and I dont want to see a nice buck come cruising by be either, ill wait till the 16th. I asked if he has seen any bucks an he saw a nice 10pt this am in range. My point exactly!!

• Like 2

All hunters in the affected DMP units ( doe's only first 15 days of bow and then muzzleloader and late bow season) should learn the importance of taking a doe and reporting the kill to the DEC. Additionally the other DMP units that have a high doe ratio should try to avoid their DMP make the list in the future. The DEC should learn that addressing the areas that have more does than the area can successfully sustain, should not be negative in nature.(no shooting bucks). No hunter wants to spend time in the woods and be unable to shoot that buck of a lifetime when it is standing broadside within 20 yards.

The fact that I believe all hunters In the effected buck only DMP's will be submitting a doe kill report this year ( whether or not that shot a doe) So much for the honest assistance the DEC had gotten from the hunters. But it would be ignorant to expect anything different as it was to expect the hunters to appreciate the negative manner in which they addressed the problem of over population of deer. An incentive to cull more does should have been established. Their attempt to increase the taking of does, by not allowing the hunter to shoot bucks was extremely short sighted. Instead the hunters just stayed home, drove to those DMP s without the buck only restriction. In the coming years we should be hearing from southern tier hunters complaining about lack of bucks.

There is enough of poaching going on by non licensed individuals. . Why push the the law abiding license carrying hunter into that dilema of making a choice between remaining law abiding or becoming a poacher?

Congratulations the the powers to be in NEW YORK STATE DEC.

• Like 1

No hunter wants to spend time in the woods and be unable to shoot that buck of a lifetime when it is standing broadside within 20 yards.

And of course the DEC fully understands that. That is why it was implemented in the bow season rather than a gun season where they could actually accomplish their professed goals.

10 years ago when season opened on the 15th in southern zone most of you would have been excited about the 15 or 16 extra days now everyone's complaining. If NY wanted to fix the issue have a doe only muzzleloader weekend just like Ohio does its in the middle of October. NY would never do this because of the man power it would take to properly oversee it and at least put out enough of a presence to make a hunter think about shooting a buck during those days.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

so no one is doing there job like they were asked so next year it will be the first 4 weeks

So now more than angry I'm thoroughly fed up! So listen up. The DEC and some hunters had best pull their heads out and decide whether hunting in this state hunting is a privilege or a job. For if it is a job,which has been thrown out there more than once over this situation, than I want :

1. part of my lifetime license reimbursed

2. a percentage of the money farmers get for crop damage(our tax dollars) taken from them and given to  hunters. So much per deer reported and a check at the end of season.

3. a state tax write off on all deer hunting equipement I have to use during the season

Other wise I DO NOT want to hear that hunting is MY JOB!  years of the same guys saying in pages and pages of arguments, hunting is a privilege...well it's one or the other  you can't have it both ways!

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4

I hunt just west of DL state park. Heard 11 shots last night. If you're not out pressuring the deer someone is. That park is a joke and more of a suicide mission than hunting location... Pounded by pheasant "hunters" chasing the truck, horse people who feel they own it and pumpkins for the big gun holidays. I can think of at least 3 hauled out of there on gurneys - two toe tagged - and I am surely forgetting a bunch. Just because they're not in the lots for you to see doesn't mean they're it there.

And just a refresher- 1 million does killed or none; the dec just wants to cram a sept ml season down our throats. But don't worry... No one will poach and the herd won't be pressured. With one of the highest dmp allocations out there we must have does everywhere anyway

• Like 1

I have not killed a doe in Oct for over 10yr. fortunately I can cherry pick them at my convenients in the late season.

it's going to be near 80 tomorrow so if you shot a doe today get to work. I enjoy the meat to much and do all my own prossing so the only acception I would make is for a mature buck then I would take time off work just to process.

plus my arrows cost $30 I really can't afford to break them on doe.

if I was in the doe only area I would Stay out of the woods and HOPE my neighbors just shoot doe(that would never happen btw) but it would push the pressured bucks to my area.

I have not killed a doe in Oct for over 10yr. fortunately I can cherry pick them at my convenients in the late season.

it's going to be near 80 tomorrow so if you shot a doe today get to work. I enjoy the meat to much and do all my own prossing so the only acception I would make is for a mature buck then I would take time off work just to process.

plus my arrows cost $30 I really can't afford to break them on doe.

if I was in the doe only area I would Stay out of the woods and HOPE my neighbors just shoot doe(that would never happen btw) but it would push the pressured bucks to my area.

10 years ago when season opened on the 15th in southern zone most of you would have been excited about the 15 or 16 extra days now everyone's complaining. If NY wanted to fix the issue have a doe only muzzleloader weekend just like Ohio does its in the middle of October. NY would never do this because of the man power it would take to properly oversee it and at least put out enough of a presence to make a hunter think about shooting a buck during those days.

we traded arguably the best weekend of bow hunting for those crappy 15 days of 65 degree weather. Not that we had a choice

I still havent gone out, though I am very tempted. I might go sit one of the outskirt stands tonight. I have to go down and swap out trail cam cards anyhow.

I just dont want to burn stands when I cant hunt bucks. Ill shoot my does when I do hunt, same as I normally do. I just dont want to be sitting there and have one of the couple of bucks Im after this year, walk by, wind me and become harder to kill later on.

The way I look at this is, it doesnt matter what time of the season I kill my does. None of them will be birthing fawns in the spring regardless of if I kill them Octonber 11 or November 30.

The DEC is not going to make it 4 weeks next year, they have already established that its a 2 year trial program.

• Like 1

Simply stated this new doe only regulation is not gettting more hunters to participate.  If anything it is doing the opposite.  Earn a buck tag worked great but too many want a one buck only rule.

Funny but when I took the hunting course I do not remember anything saying I am responsible for culling the doe population.  Now it is my reponsibility?  Regardless the DEC has an agenda they want to follow.  This way they can say bow hunters failed now we have to cull more deer, here come the snippers that worked so well in the past, joke.

The population issue is not with the deer it is with people.  But the DEC will just overestimate the population and get all the extra funds to do research on using snipper, bait stations, birth control and every other method that has been tried and failed.  This will also justify any changes and trample on the bow season they seem to hate so much.

Funny I tried to get into any association to help cull the deer but they never called, yea they really want the deer culled, NOT!  They make it sound like they are in dire need of help and then when you offer it they are like "No we are OK, no help needed."  (EX:  We would rather have snipers at night vs hunters during the day.) 

You can open up area's to hunt but if the homeowners do not allow you in its hard to cull the population.  Sounds similar to out east.  But it's the bow hunters fault, give me a brake!