Too much pressure?

BfloHunter

Yesterday I missed the same doe twice! What do some of you experienced hunters say about going back and trying the same spot today?

Each arrow went high over her and it spooked her but she never ran away. She moved about 10-15 yards each shot but eventually made her way out of the area through the thick stuff. I don't think it was a "pressure" situation so I was thinking of going back again today to try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you head out again I would take the arrow(s) your shot and try to find out why they went high. Take the same arrow and broad head setup, try to simulate the shot to see where the arrow is hitting.  If it was from a tree stand, you may want to try shooting the arrow from an elevated spot to test. If the arrow is hitting fine when you test it, then you know your doing something wrong during the moment of truth. High shots are usually attributed to not bending at the waist during the shot which tends to make the shot go high. Good luck.

• Like 6

In my opinion the best practice is from a stand and dressed like you hunt.

A stand in a tree with your harness and hunting clothes, only in a stand are your feet forced to be close and contend with the cables, you may learn that your arm hits the tree at full draw, that the harness gets in the way.

Every time I hunt i shoot an arrow sometimes two before I get down, yesterday I had a doe broadside at 30 yards, she was a bit on edge and frankly I wanted to get down and paint my hut before the rain so I passed.

But before I got down I shot at a spot on the ground where she stood.

My advise is hop in a stand and fling a bunch of arrows, hang one in your yard or one in the woods is even better.

Good luck.

Edited by Larry302

I'm pretty sure I brought my arm down instead of bending at the waist. I've been at the range throughout the summer and right before the season started and was hitting well. I didn't practice with the Treestand though. Maybe that's the ticket

I'd still go back if the wind is right.  more than the one doe comes through there I'm sure.  don't be surprised if she walks in with eyeballs glued to the stand though.  just stay still and wait it out for her to look away or get behind a big tree that's closer to her than you.

If she didnt wind ya at the time of you messing up her day with all that racket you will be good. Doe Fever set in? lol

She definitely didn't wind me she walked off casually after the two "incidents". I think it was doe fever. I've never gotten doe fever before but maybe that was it. Lol

I'm pretty sure I brought my arm down instead of bending at the waist. I've been at the range throughout the summer and right before the season started and was hitting well. I didn't practice with the Treestand though. Maybe that's the ticket

As stated a couple times . Probably not bending at the waist . Been there , done that and shot high . Seems like we remember when practicing but when the real shot is there , oops forgot ! 

Lots of possibilities.

What broadheads are you using and have you practiced to see if they are flying the same as your field tips at ALL of your effective ranges? 

You definitely need to make sure you shoot your bow today and figure out what the issue was or is. In hunting and in life, one of your greatest tools is your piece of mind. If you don't believe in your equipment when that moment of truth comes, you are already behind the 8 ball. Confidence goes along way when you draw your bow on a critter.

• Like 1

Well guys I appreciate all of your input! I went back today and got the same doe I missed Wednesday. The problem was I pulled my arm down instead of bent at the waist. I was on point all summer but never practiced in the stand. I made it a point to bend at the waist and aim like I normally would and made a 35 yard shot.